Remaining Goverment Stock WWII 1911 To Be Sold To the Public

Received this on my FB page earlier today, I am excited, very excited.  :yum:

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/remaining-government-stock-of-wwii-m1911s-handguns-to-be-sold-off-to-the-public.html

Remaining Government Stock of WWII M1911’s Handguns to Be Sold Off to The Public…..

Aug 17, 2015  

The upcoming National Defense Authorization Act that passed committee includes a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP 1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Added as an amendment by Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, it could see potentially the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era handguns in government hands sold to the public.

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage,” Rogers said in a statement.

The lawmaker disclosed that the military currently spends about $2 per year to store 100,000 Model 1911s that are surplus to the Army’s needs. While 8,300 have been sold or disposed of in recent years – largely through the controversial Department of Defense’s 1033 Program, which offers eligible law enforcement agencies up to one pistol per full-time officer – the guns still on hand have in many cases been stored since the 1980s when they were withdrawn from service in favor of the then-new Beretta 92F (M9).

The amendment would authorize the CMP, currently just limited to selling .30-caliber and .22-caliber rifles, to receive and sell any surplus military firearm. It would not cover any surplus 1911s held by other branches such as the Navy and Air Force, or those that may linger in federal law enforcement service. The Army guns are stored at the Anniston Army Depot, in a district which Roger’s represents and is coincidentally co-located to the CMP’s regional warehouse and store, which would minimize the logistics of a transfer.

“This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.

However, the CMPs stocks of surplus arms are diminishing.

In 2010, the organization’s most numerous firearm, the M-1 Garand rifle was limited to just 125,000 guns on hand that included complete rifles, stripped receivers, and welded drill rifles. Since then, the administration of President Obama has repeatedly blocked efforts to bring surplus donated military rifles back from overseas allies looking to rid themselves of obsolete hardware.

An influx of 100,000 highly-collectable handguns, largely all made before 1945, would likely revitalize the organization, and ensure its work for years to come.

Not only is this is an organization that is committed to training civilians in the proper, responsible, and safe use of firearms, but at a cost of roughly $2.00 per pistol per year to store these weapons, we were spending $200,000 a year in perpetuity,” said Rep. Steve Russell, R-Oklahoma, who voted for the successful amendment. “This sensible change will save the taxpayers millions over the years to come, as well as aid a great organization that serves the public.”

Congressman Mike Rogers made the following remarks after passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2016 out of the House Armed Services Committee (HASC), which included his amendment to allow the Army to transfer its surplus vintage firearms to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage. This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

Currently, the Army stores excess M1911A1 pistols, which used to be the standard U.S. Armed Forces sidearm, until it was replace by the Berretta 9mm pistol. Besides the 8,300 pistols that have been sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price, the rest of the M1911A1 pistols are now being held in storage costing the taxpayer around $200,000 a year.

Transferring these vintage pistols to the CMP would allow them to inspect, grade, prepare for sale and sell these pistols. The CMP would reimburse the Army for costs associated with transferring the pistols. CMP South, headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, oversees sales. CMP North is headquartered in Camp Perry, Ohio.

Edited by Runco

Must think it would be unregulated sales because the government is involved.

Fast and the furious with surplus 1911's? I would love.a surplus 1911, but what I really want to see if M14's. Convert them to semi auto only and watch them sell like crazy.

Sent from the backwoods
  • Like 5

Even though these handguns were made before 1945, even though they were widely used in the US Army up till the M9 replaced them in the 80s, I would want one really really bad, and even if the price was high say $1000+, I would find a way.  I would say they are not all Colts based upon the fact they were made before 1945.

When there is a will, there is a way.

I have purchased an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and 03 Springfield from CMP. The prices have been fair; as a matter of fact they are much less than the gun resellers are selling them for. I have no reason to believe CMP would go crazy with the pricing on these; and a grand would be crazy.

However, the Federal government selling handguns? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’d much rather see the CMP get the M-14’s. But the conversion would probably be cost prohibitive.

The NDAA 2016 CMP 1911 Amendment is Probably Dead.
http://garandthumb.com/the-ndaa-2016-cmp-1911-amendment-is-dead/

U.S. Army Raising “Concerns” Over CMP Transfers
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/news/blog/u-s-army-raising-concerns-over-cmp-transfers/

• 1 month later...
This is from the CMT home page

10/08/15  An update on the 1911’s…IT HAS PASSED THE SENATE!

The legislation has passed both the House and Senate. It will now head to the President’s desk for signature. If signed, we will meet with Army to develop procedures. All of this will take time. We have no further information. When information becomes available we will communicate with our customers.

Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

According to that, you're correct: Limited to 10K transfers from the Army to the CMP per year, and CMP must be an FFL for these firearms (all regular FFL procedures apply).

Wouldn't these qualify as C&R eligible? I don't see why they wouldn't. If so....AWESOME!

Edited by monkeylizard

I can't see His Majesty allowing this to happen.  Either he will veto this bill or step in with some sort of EO that stops it.

So you really think he'll kick back something as important as the bucks for the entire Dept of Defense over this little included sop to the right?

- OS

So you really think he'll kick back something as important as the bucks for the entire Dept of Defense over this little included sop to the right?

- OS

He's been threatening to veto the bill for weeks now.  Not clear on why but there's a good chance this might be a victim of collateral damage.

• Like 1

He's been threatening to veto the bill for weeks now.  Not clear on why but there's a good chance this might be a victim of collateral damage.

Thanks, I somehow actually haven't heard, or at least  notice, his nibs talking about it at all.

edit: quick looksee around seems to be all about circumventing budget cap on military while imposing it on civilian agencies some of which I'm sure BHO smiles on more than the military. And other related whatnot but not a peep 'bout the 1911's, so that doesn't even seem to be on the radar for him to rant about.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot