Regal movie theaters begin searching bags

I've done that Bersa.  It's amazing.  A while back I was waiting on the woman to do her walmart shopping, I sat in the car like i normally do, and I counted the number of people with pisspoor decision making as it pertains to footwear.  Should a zombie virus outbreak, I fully believe a slow moving walker could eat lots of people, even as silly as it seems to us.  People just go about their day in sandals and flip flops and what the heck ever that crap is woman call footwear.  It kinda gave me a little reassurance should anything bad ever happen, I don't have to outrun the threat, only the morons in poor shoes.  

We have yet to bear witness to a killer with any sense. It will happen though, mark my words.  A person with skill will take up the sword against the innocent one day and it will be a blood bath like you never seen.  Contrary to what many sheep wanna believe, intelligence and common sense can easily coincide with bat :poop:  crazy.  Given the right venue and a even a modicum of planning, a person bent on dealing death should easily be able to get a triple digit body count in the 10+ minutes it takes for first responders to arrive.  

Mark my words, one day you'll see someone with a brain [albeit severely dysfunctional] lobing homemade frag grenades into general admission seating at something like a Taylor Swift concert or something and it'll take several trucks to remove the bodies.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I think that they would get the job done if they ENCOURAGED people to carry into the theater (obviously concealed, don't need ree-rees open carrying hand cannons in front of mommy and daughter)...I'd rather have a few shooters with me than have to jump under a seat with my wife and wait for the doucher to reload so I can pop his top with a .45

A lot of these things that happen have to do with SITUATIONAL AWARENESS! Holy hell - just like many of you mentioned before, you see the droves walking around with their faces in their phones or lazily strolling around and not paying attention. I'm always on high alert, scanning people coming in and out of stores, dead space, avenues of approach, fatal funnels...same thing while driving, I get cautious when people are following too close or changing lanes when I do.

As Caster mentioned, there will be someone someday with a modicum of a brain, with a bit of tactical planning and maybe some Google-Fu explosives training that is going to go to an open air concert or a convention and start decimating people. Most of the people in these shootings are mentally deranged and/or unstable, lack the proper training or motivation and almost all of them have a death-wish. The Aurora shooting was the closest to a tactically planned mass murder but even that was botched.

Not that I wish that will happen - travesties fuel the media monster, and paranoia is a killer in the long run, and the only thing people want to do is try to disarm folks. Most of us own at least one gun, hell I'd say most of us own a dozen - they can try to take them from us, I am not going to go out and about and make myself a soft target.

Be trained. Be prepared.

I'm surprised it's not based on location instead of company wide. I lived close to Hampton,Va for a very long time. I avoided that place at all cost after the sun set. Same with most of Newport News.

The only flaw in this is that none of these shootings took place in a really bad area.  We can debate over Antioch  :stir: , but if this is about the previous shootings, you can't say the last few mass shootings have been in bad areas.

Edited by Hozzie

Interesting coincidence.  I was in Regal's corporate office just this morning, and while waiting for the person I was meeting with, listened to the receptionist taking calls regarding the searching of women's purses.  At that time I was unaware of the new search policy and was chuckling to myself about a lady calling in complaining about the violation of "her rights as a woman".  I hope more people do call in to complain.  Maybe Regal will get the hint.  DaveTN is right, they do have shareholders.  As much as I would have loved to, I wasn't able to voice my thoughts about their firearm policy.  Or their ridiculous concession prices.

It would not hurt my feelings if Regal and several others took a dump. The more big screens that go away the less money those brainless liberals in Hollywood make. The less box offices they have the less funds will be made. I'm sick of watching ads about movies starring guys like Tom Cruise other hippo-crates that talk against gun for law abiding Americans yet every movie they make is all about guns and killings and showing them as hero's. They can use them as props to make millions yet talk against them in real life.......... :rant: JMHO 

its probably an excuse to bust people for sneaking in snacks that cost less than $50.  Cause they will never find a gun like that... the good purses etc have hidden compartments and it takes knowing about them to know where to look which the 15 year olds at the theater won't have.   My wife has had her bag checked at places and they totally missed the gun .. just as we knew they would.  They found a camera on someone else, though.  The place was not posted, so I am not sure what they could have done if they had found it anyway beyond asking us to leave. 

Real security costs money and aggravates people who don't like the delay for it.   We will not see real security at places like this in my lifetime, it simply costs too much.  

Edited by Jonnin

Didn't one of the theater shooters go outside to get his guns? How easy is it to park around back, enter the building carrying nothing, then exit the door inside the theater and prop it open while you go get the guns and bring them back? 

That's exactly what Holmes did in Aurora, CO

Edited by monkeylizard

Our local Regal did something similar after Aurora when my wife and I, along with another couple went to the movies. Both my wife and my friends wife got their purses searched, my friend and I both carried (IWB) past the searcher. Concealed means concealed.

We rarely go to theaters anymore. Just getting too old for the kids craziness and all the cell phone activities during movies.

The few times we have gone, my wife doesn't carry a purse. I'm always carrying concealed.

The first time some guy wants to pat me down will be the last time for a movie out for us. Plus the manager and the company will get my thoughts on whether or not the theater is providing protection for us by depriving me of the option to do so.

I don't see this as a safety issue, I think this is more of an issue of them wanting to go through your bags to make sure you don't bring in a 50 cent bag of candy and you buy one from them for $8.00 instead.  Same thing with drinks.

Would almost guarantee that they have some think tank/group in the company trying to figure out a way to get more money, and lost sales due to people sneaking in food/beverages is high on the radar.  That's where they make the most profit.

• Like 1

it is about concession money, they use guns as an excuse.  Personally I factor in the cost of a drink and snack if I go to a movie.  More often than not I limit it to a bottle of water. I am a man, I can go two hours without eating if'n I want.  But if I want popcorn, six bucks or whatever is not a deal breaker. I see a movie maybe every year or two.

Fury was the last one.  Can't recall the one previous.

What qualifies a teenage ticket taker to look in anyone's bag?   Woman are protective about that stuff,  yeah most will succumb to police at a stadium etc...  But letting some random person look,  not so much.   And really if all they do is peer in, how many woman could throw a pistol in the purse and it get lost in all the stuff they seem to carry?  

Funniest is that most people carry concealed in their waistband. Looking into a purse or backpack will not stop 99% of us from just walking on by.

• Like 3

Funniest is that most people carry concealed in their waistband. Looking into a purse or backpack will not stop 99% of us from just walking on by.

For me it's not about the efficacy; it's about privacy. Corporations are constantly looking for ways to invade our privacy, and many people in this world just have an "Oh-Well" attitude about it that I can't support.

• Like 2

Another reason this is another intrusion that is a waste of time. I read where the Colorado shooter bought a ticket and walked into the theater he was going to terrorize and opened the emergency exit and blocked the door slightly open. His vehicle was parked closeby and he geared up and walked back into the theater through the emergency door and started shooting. Why the doors were not alarmed I have no idea, but it's common practice for them not to be apparently. I've been in a few theaters here in Chattanooga through the years and seen people go out these side exits after a movie. This may have changed, but I do remember this clearly. They do only open from the inside but blocking them is obviously not a problem.

I'm surprised it's not based on location instead of company wide. I lived close to Hampton,Va for a very long time. I avoided that place at all cost after the sun set. Same with most of Newport News.

"Same with most of Newport News."

You're not just whistling "Dixie" there, brother. Newport News is first cousin to E. St. Louis. No reason to go there unless you are unfortunate enough to live there.

This may not be a popular answer, but why in the world would anyone (and I see it every day) need to carry a backpack into a theatre or store? I see no reason for it!

Some people don't drive their own cars much, or use public transportation or mostly walk -- and have backpack on them all the time. Especially prevalent around college areas where lots of folks bus in or live on campus or nearby.

Includes even ole geezer me, btw. No theaters within my walking range, but at least half of my overall shopping  (Kroger, CVS, and Walmart, etc) is done on foot, and items go in my backpack.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot