Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool

It seems like a pretty good deal. However I have had this one for 11 years and its still going strong, http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3981-01-Professional-Variable-Accessories/dp/B0000302Y0/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1440603367&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=digital+dremel

. The battery operated ones will not last as long and the batteries will be spendy to replace when the time comes as they keep changing them.

I bought cordless one from Wally. Never ran long enough on a charge to get much of anything done that I ever used it for. Maybe battery was defective but there was no AC module you could replace the battery one with, and I never wanted to throw any more money at it to replace rechargeable module to see. 

It was in fairness the cheapest one there, but it is real Dremel brand.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have a cheap cordless one from Walmart that I like using for polishing small parts because it's so slow. I'd probably echo what the others are saying and go for corded. I like this one but I would rather have a nice variable speed corded model for tasks that require more speed.

You can actually use the foot pedal speed control from a sewing machine to make a great variable speed rotary tool.

Cordless is the one you buy AFTER you already own a regular corded model. You buy it because you already know how useful a dremel is, but cords are a drag. Remember when phones needed them? Wasn't that during Hitlers size to power? Need I say more?

So cords are a drag and you buy yourself the handier battery powered model for convenience. Then 6 years later you find it while cleaning out junk for goodwill and realize you've grabbed your reliable corded model EVERYTIME you've needed a dremel for the past 6 years.

Infuriated you decide things are going to change, you work hard for your money and you'll be damned if you'll just sit there and waste it.

Now, to find the batteries.

Now to realize they're shot after 6 years of sitting, go to buy replacements, realize dremel hasn't made that model or therefore batteries for it in 3 years.

Invariably at this time the salesman who informs you of this will misread your grim, stoic silence as an invitation to try to sell you on they're latest and greatest cordless model* while all you really want to do is count the ways you could have spent that money on something worth a damn, like say 75 candy bars, or maybe 73 candy bars and a pepsi.

So unless you like wasting time and money, just buy the corded model.

*Heres an honest version of the pitch. "Heres the new cordless version sir. It may not be faster or as powerful."

You'll be waiting around for a solid 3 minutes before you release thats it, thats the pitch. 

• Like 1
I almost bought a cordless Drexel for the sole purpose of cutting gate locks when out in the woods and people like to put their personal locks on other peoples gates. A coworker had one and it worked great. But now that I'm on the office 99% of the time Id get the corded version for speed and reliability alone.

I almost bought a cordless Drexel for the sole purpose of cutting gate locks when out in the woods and people like to put their personal locks on other peoples gates. A coworker had one and it worked great. But now that I'm on the office 99% of the time Id get the corded version for speed and reliability alone.

You shoot those. :up:

it's gutless buy a corded all the way, your paying for all the little attachments, the dremel it's self like Oh said can be bought a lot cheaper at wally world, I made the mistake of getting one, bad judgement on my part but YMMV.