I have a huge favor to ask

I hope it was more than that, it's getting too damn touchy around here.

Speaking of which, I deleted my last two posts: forgot I may have been in violation of:

"If you have a question about or disagree with an action taken by a moderator, discuss it with them in private. Do not debate them in public."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Speaking of which, I deleted my last two posts: forgot I may have been in violation of:

"If you have a question about or disagree with an action taken by a moderator, discuss it with them in private. Do not debate them in public."

- OS

I hope I didn't piss anybody off. Good thing I don't drink anymore :)

- OS

Well since I'm quoted I guess mine live in immortality. ;)

I was speaking in all encompassing generalities including members and admin. I think we all need thicker skin.

Sent from my iPad using Voodoo magic

Well since I'm quoted I guess mine live in immortality. ;)

I was speaking in all encompassing generalities including members and admin. I think we all need thicker skin.

Well, yours wasn't exactly a direct "question" or "disagreement" or "debate" I don't think, but if you want to delete the post, I'll delete the quote of it. :)

- OS

Well, yours wasn't exactly a direct "question" or "disagreement" or "debate" I don't think, but if you want to delete the post, I'll delete the quote of it. :)

- OS

No I think it's a fair assessment of how it appears on the surface. I sent DS a PM just to stave off any offense that my be drawn.
  • Like 1

No I think it's a fair assessment of how it appears on the surface. I sent DS a PM just to stave off any offense that my be drawn.

Yeah, I asked about the specific incident involved myself, whether his call or not figger he would know.

Edited by Oh Shoot

I am not going on some sort of power tripping mission trying to ban everyone. And when I posted this I was trying to at least get members to think before they post but I see that was all in vane. I was just trying to get people to at least act nice to each other but I see that too was an exercise in futility.

With EssOne he said TGO was a haven for those who bash LE. He then said he was leaving the site because he was tired of LE being bashed. And when members tell us they are leaving, especially if they are leaving unhappy, we disable their accounts. The reason is people have been known to say they are leaving, leave for a while and then come back later after they have stewed for a while and do something stupid. And just for the record I do NOT believe EssOne would do that but if do it for one person we try to do it for all.

I like EssOne, we have had plenty of conversations and I liked the guy but when a member was upset enough to say they are leaving then we will disable their account to prevent them from coming back and posting something inappropriate.

Again, he didn't do anything that I would consider ban worthy in anything he did publically but he left us no choice but to disable his account when he said he was leaving.

And just for the record.

I DO NOT BAN ANYONE WITHOUT FIRST RUNNING IT BY OTHER STAFF MEMBERS.

I banned one person in the past and had it reversed so from that point forward any time I do ANYTHING administratively I go through MacGyver or TGO David. I won't even send a warning PM without adding a staff member to the conversation.

Man, you ask everyone to pay nice and this is what you get...

I hope this isn't a true litmus test of the direction the forum is going.  I really like this place.  I wish we could talk more guns and less politics.  Not absolutes, just more of the good and less of the  :wall:

• Like 2

And that is the reason for the major shake up last year. The politics and negativity had reached a critical mass and we were loosing long time members over it. And just for the record every person I have spoke to that left during that time left because of all the negativity and squabbling between members here. I do not want to see it but if it gets as bad as it was 2-3 years ago I will not be here. 

Seriously, people couldn't even be nice to each other in a thread by a moderator asking people to be nice to each other. I was just asking people to be a little nicer, a little more patient and respectful when dealing with other members here. It was just a reminder that we all have common ground and that we should not try so hard to find our differences.

And honestly I have a lot of other things I need to concentrate on right now so I won't be around much anymore.

If there is anyone on the board I still owe or promised something to please PM me as I cannot remember everything I have promised as of late. I do have your package together Reed, it will go out today or tomorrow and I am sorry for the delay but as I said I have a lot of things I need to concentrate on.

• Like 1

I am not going on some sort of power tripping mission trying to ban everyone. And when I posted this I was trying to at least get members to think before they post but I see that was all in vain. I was just trying to get people to at least act nice to each other but I see that too was an exercise in futility.

It wasn't in vain. You said what you felt like needed saying. I think most of us here agree with that.

But of course, you know us. Anytime something comes up, we're going to have fun with it. After all, I think it helps to inject a little humor into some situations. Unless of course it's too serious and there's nothing funny about it. There are certainly times and situations where we need to be serious, and most of us recognize that. And there are other times and situations where some folks take everything way too seriously, or not seriously enough. Wisdom and discernment in all situations is key. I'll use my personal life as an example. When my fiends..... I mean friends.... and I talk or get together, we harass each other almost constantly. Unless there is a serious situation going on, then we deal with it in a serious manner. As we've gotten older, I believe we've all realized that life is too short to not have a sense of humor and to not try to interject some joy into life. I believe the Lord has a sense of humor, after all, He made me! So I try not to take myself as seriously as I used to, and I try to be more lighthearted now that I have gotten older.

So, what you did and said here was anything BUT in vain. To me, it has served to bring the issue to the forefront and get folks to be more courteous to each other. AND, it seems to have gotten us back to lightheartedly harassing each other too! ;) So, I for one have enjoyed this thread, and I thank you for posting it.

• Like 1

Ya'll know that there is an "Ignore" function so you can block people with whom you can't get along, right?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: you use only 7% of your communication skills when you write because most communication is conveyed with voice inflections and body language. Some people's 7% is smaller than other people's 7% based on how well they write. This venue inherently has the propensity to take something wrong and leading to that butt-hurt feeling. If someone says something that you view insulting then ask them via PM about it. If they continue to offend then block them.

And just for the record.

I DO NOT BAN ANYONE WITHOUT FIRST RUNNING IT BY OTHER STAFF MEMBERS.

I banned one person in the past and had it reversed so from that point forward any time I do ANYTHING administratively I go through MacGyver or TGO David. I won't even send a warning PM without adding a staff member to the conversation.

Sometimes its hard to know when to use more stick and less carrot.  But either way a little respect for each other goes a long way, if it gets to the point a MOD needs to get involved then its usually the stick.

image_thumb%25255B4%25255D.png?imgmax=80

I hope this isn't a true litmus test of the direction the forum is going.  I really like this place.  I wish we could talk more guns and less politics.  Not absolutes, just more of the good and less of the  :wall:

I think that the Politics and General Chat sections are good for what they do, and that is foster a sense of community among our more "dedicated" members.  There is also a lot of value in the diversity of opinion and train of thought from the members on very relevant topics, that I enjoy very much, even if I don't always agree with what's said.

For me at least, there is only so much gun related to talk about, and there isn't as much new topic material as current events can bring in.  It also let's me get to know members (as best you can from an online interaction) far better than talking about a single topic.

I am not going on some sort of power tripping mission trying to ban everyone.

For my money, it's quite clear that you guys are more than willing to let people have warnings, and give them the time to adjust their behavior as needed.

• Like 4
  • Moderators

For my money, it's quite clear that you guys are more than willing to let people have warnings, and give them the time to adjust their behavior as needed.

The fact that I have been here for 6 years bears as a testament to that. :lol:
  • Like 1
And one more thing. Do not assume that just because someone is banned does not always mean they did anything wrong, especially if it is not readily apparent why they were banned. Yes that is the case 99% of the time but not always. Most times it is quietly but sometimes those that are leaving feel the need to tell us why and we appreciate it because it helps us become better at running the board.

We have had plenty of members who feel TGO is not to their individual likes and desires so they leave, happens every day. And when they leave I feel bad that the place I call home was not to their liking but it does happen. You won't find me posting in the DU forum just like some people won't be posting on TGO.

I take everything a member has to say very seriously. And my top priority is the members here, all members, and if anyone doubts that I am not sure how to respond.

Perhaps it's time to banish political and religious discussions from the board.

I can only speak for me, but no one here has changed my mind on either to any degree, and I seriously doubt I've gotten anywhere with changing anyone else's opinion either.

There's a lot of good people on this forum, but when I read a comments from a specific few on certain topics, I usually want to reach through the monitor and strangle them. :D

Wow... this thread has taken a pretty wicked turn since page 1.

Who knew that the basic principles of common courtesy & etiquette were considered such a burden for so many folks?

It takes zero talent and little effort to be an asshole. On the other hand, a little forethought and tact go a long way in promoting civil discourse, which is so much more substantial and rewarding in terms of real communication.

I see no reason as to why folks think the OP was out of line in his initial request-- it really ain't that difficult, folks.

high-school-drama_zpsvbf8wwn7.jpg

• Like 1

I can only speak for me, but no one here has changed my mind on either to any degree, and I seriously doubt I've gotten anywhere with changing anyone else's opinion either.

Wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen. No one here is gonna change who they are on account of someone elses post. Likewise, in all the heated discussions, name one thing that has ever been accomplished? With the exception of a few business establishments taking down gun buster signs, I don't recall one single political/religious problem being solved through a TGO discussion.
Myself included; Maybe we should just leave these discussions alone altogether.

I will say this, please don't stop posting pertinent news and current goings on. I don't watch the news and I'm too lazy to search it out on the interwebz. I get a LOT of my current events right here.
  • Like 2

There's a lot of good people on this forum, but when I read a comments from a specific few on certain topics, I usually want to reach through the monitor and strangle them. :D

I understand that sentiment.  Particularly in regards to religion there are a few around here that like to belittle others for what they believe.  I don't think think it gets much lower than disrespecting someone for their religious views.