Why are pickup trucks so expensive?

Is there anything specifically wrong/about to crap out on the truck that's major?  If not, I'd keep on driving and making SMART repairs.   Smart as in no major repairs that cost more than the vehicle is worth.  

To me, 200K miles now on a vehicle is the old "100K".  In the 70's/80's a vehicle was pretty much done when it hit 100K.   Now 200-300K is not abnormal if you maintain the vehicle.   I have almost 240K on my Volvo and don't intend on getting rid of it until the repair bill doesn't make sense.   

So, you can think of it this way if it makes you feel better, you are getting 2x the vehicle life as you use to.   :)

But a couple of those "minor" repairs can add up to the vehicles total value in a hurry and then what do you do?  keep repairing it or call it quits????

Edited by jpx2rk

But a couple of those "minor" repairs can add up to the vehicles total value in a hurry and then what do you do? keep repairing it or call it quits????

This is the way I look at the minor repairs. If the repair is less than a car payment and I expect to extend the life of the car at least one month, I do the repair. Most of the time it extends the life many months so it's a win.
  • Like 1

Clearly you haven't shopped the used car market lately.

Clearly do.

A lady in Alabama  bought a 2014 Raptor for $65k, put on 14k miles in 11 months, figured out this wasn't quite what she signed up for and sold it to me for $49.5k, so yeah I'll pocket the $15.5k at someone else's expense.

Here's one better

All thought it's not lately (9yrs ago), it's priceless.

A doctor in Jacksonville bought a H1 for $115k, put 11k miles in 24 months, traded it in at a Toyota dealership for $55k, the dealership sold it to a saint louis hummer dealership for $60k and I bought it for $65k.

So yeah there are deals out there, finding them is the fun part!

• Like 1

That was likely a $40-45k truck brand new. $20k off for 2 model years is pretty big.

It has 130k miles... For a GM that's a lot. I would expect major repairs in the next year or so. I can't swallow paying $20k for a vehicle with that many miles. YMMV

I'm amazed at the prices also. I'm driving a 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel with 138K. Before I retired I thought about getting a newer model, not new mind you, but the prices were crazy even for used ones. I had mine painted for $1800 and it will probably be my last truck I ever own. I've taken good care of it and have had no payment since 2005.   What is even more amazing to me is the rigs I see when I go fishing. $40K trucks pulling $65K bass boats. Oh, I have a 2007 Triton aluminum 17 ft with a 75 Mercury Optimax and I catch all the fish I need. No payment on it either.  :cheers:

• Like 3

It has 130k miles... For a GM that's a lot. I would expect major repairs in the next year or so. I can't swallow paying $20k for a vehicle with that many miles. YMMV

It's a lot of miles for anything that runs on gasoline. Yes, I agree, $20k is a lot for a vehicle with that many miles but if you want a full sized truck, that is the price the market dictates. You have to raise your budget or change vehicle types to get less miles. I don't like it either. I'm looking now too and it's frustrating trying to find a good truck for a reasonable price.
  • Like 1
If you don't think a truck or boat is worth it, don't buy it. I don't get why so many get so worked up over what someone else spends for a vehicle.

Vehicles are expensive, yes. It's only going to get worse. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

I was looking at a newer truck and somehow a new one popped up in Knoxville, a new 1/2 ton LTZ chevy for drum roll please $85,000!! I almost choked when I read that. On the topic Randall was talking about the boat and truck, I was looking for a new crappie rig 10 or so years ago and priced one for $11 or 12K and I said I didn't use one that much to justify it. I also said how in the world people can afford to buy these new rigs, the salesman said "we would have been out of business years ago if we were only selling to people who could afford it". Now days most people just want to know what the note is, not really interested in how long they have to pay or what they pay back. As for 130K a lot for a gas burner, my 93 Z-71 has 260K on it and my 97 yukon has 218K.

I bought my quad cab Dodge Ram 10 years ago brand new for 22k. No options. I have roll down windows and I like it. FTW. I doubt I could find a truck like mine these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF

As for 130K a lot for a gas burner, my 93 Z-71 has 260K on it and my 97 yukon has 218K.

My 02 z71 ha 170k on it now, but I know it will need repairs soon. Most people don't take care of their vehicles anymore. They are disposable to most. My dad bought a 99 Silverado brand new, only new vehicle he ever bought. We took care of it but it was a work truck and was treated as such. I have yet to see a used vehicle in as good a shape as that truck was.

With what trucks are now and what they have in them, I don't necessarily dispute what they cost. Tech toys are expensive, not to mention the advanced power train they have.

It's all the luxury and technology they stuff in them.

Add the fact that most of them now come with twin turbo V6's, 4 cam 32 valve V8's and have lots of HP.

My advice. I'd keep that truck of yours as long as you can keep it going and it is safe. If your willing to keep it going, it'll save you money the longer you keep driving it.

352 000 miles and counting ...

Why are pickup trucks so expensive?

Well, I got my first truck when I was three
Drove a hundred thousand miles on my knees
Hauled marbles and rocks and thought twice before 
I hauled a Barbie Doll bed for the girl next door 
She tried to pay me with a kiss and I began to understand
There's something women like about a pickup man

When I turned sixteen, I saved a few hundred bucks
My first car was a pickup truck
I was cruising the town and the first girl I seen
Was Bobbie Jo Gentry, the homecoming queen
She flagged me down and climbed up in the cab
And said, "I never knew you were a pickup man"

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill
And I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe De Ville
I got an eight-foot bed that never has to be made
You know, if it weren't for trucks we wouldn't have tailgates
I met all my wives in traffic jams
There's just something women like about a pickup man

Most Friday nights I can be found
In the bed of my truck on an old chaise lounge
Backed into my spot at the drive-in show
You know a cargo light gives off a romantic glow
I never have to wait in line at the popcorn stand
'Cause there's something women like about a pickup man

A bucket of rust or a brand new machine
Once around the block and you'll know what I mean

Yeah, there's something women like about a pickup man

• Like 3
I really want a 3/4T 4wd, crew cab, long bed. Every so often I think I'd like one and then I look a little and I like my paid for 02 again. I worry more that it will be totaled somehow and then I'll be in a real spot. But I could really use the 4 full doors, 3 kids in car seats is a pain. But reality is I want my wife to get a newer van before I get a newer truck. And this time a size van not that mini van crap.

I really want a 3/4T 4wd, crew cab, long bed. Every so often I think I'd like one and then I look a little and I like my paid for 02 again. I worry more that it will be totaled somehow and then I'll be in a real spot. But I could really use the 4 full doors, 3 kids in car seats is a pain. But reality is I want my wife to get a newer van before I get a newer truck. And this time a size van not that mini van crap.

I couldn't live without a 4 door truck, now that I have little ones.  Plenty of room for their car seats, and they love riding in daddy's truck.  It's a special treat for them, since momma refuses to drive it.

I won't buy new. I have a 2002 F350 Powerstroke crew cab that I bought 8 years ago, used, and it's happy as can be. I plan on driving that hog until its done. Plus, I have upgraded it over time so it's as powerful as a truck 10 years newer. It's only got 127k miles now, and I can do all the maintenance and upgrades, so its all good. That big sucker will probably take me till the day I die. It wakes up evryone in the neighborhood and /or campsite when I fire it up. :) And, it willing hit the interstate at the end of the on ramp at 70 mph at 30 lbs of boost with a 8000 lb camper hooked to it, if I need it to. With 4.10 gears. To hell with $65,000 trucks. Edited by superduty
  • Like 1

My 02 z71 ha 170k on it now, but I know it will need repairs soon. Most people don't take care of their vehicles anymore. They are disposable to most. My dad bought a 99 Silverado brand new, only new vehicle he ever bought. We took care of it but it was a work truck and was treated as such. I have yet to see a used vehicle in as good a shape as that truck was.

With what trucks are now and what they have in them, I don't necessarily dispute what they cost. Tech toys are expensive, not to mention the advanced power train they have.

I got 188 on that z85 canyon now and don't see any issues with it at all.  bought it a few years ago for $6k or something.  Only reason I would upgrade to a new one is because of the 4 cyl diesel option now to get some more towing power.  Don't like full sized trucks and this 5 cylinder doesn't like to tow more than a couple thousand pounds... That said, I still have issues paying north of $30 for a truck, but if it' a diesel, it should outlast me.

Clearly do.

A lady in Alabama  bought a 2014 Raptor for $65k, put on 14k miles in 11 months, figured out this wasn't quite what she signed up for and sold it to me for $49.5k, so yeah I'll pocket the $15.5k at someone else's expense.

Here's one better

All thought it's not lately (9yrs ago), it's priceless.

A doctor in Jacksonville bought a H1 for $115k, put 11k miles in 24 months, traded it in at a Toyota dealership for $55k, the dealership sold it to a saint louis hummer dealership for $60k and I bought it for $65k.

So yeah there are deals out there, finding them is the fun part!

Sadly, I'm not familiar with the $50k-$65k used car market.  The most expensive vehicle I've ever bought cost about what you saved on the Raptor. 

• Like 2

What I want to know is how these people are affording these vehicles. I make pretty good money(far more than average for TN) and I can't afford a $800+ car payment. All I can figure is that people must be in debt up to their ass.

Our 2012 Rav4 will be paid for in about 10 months. We plan on keeping it as long as possible. My 2002 Corolla is obviously paid off and I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.

I just want a decent truck I can drive on the weekends and tow a small trailer with.

Edited by Erik88