Ever brought a gun because of a TV show or movie.

FortKnox

The question is have you ever brought a gun because of a TV show or movie? I have.

Back in August '13 after I got my HCP I was carrying the Ruger SR22. I decided I needed something small and easier to carry and conceal with more firepower to boot So, I read a lot of gun reviews, I didn't know what I wanted but, it would be a pocket 9, never even thought about a revolver.

Anyways, after months of picking and choosing I decided to get either the XDS or LC9. So, in November, a few weeks after TN Gun Country range had been opened, I went down to rent them but, of course, both had been rented out.

While looking around and talking to some folks, an older gentleman pointed me to a revolver. I asked to see it, the revolver was the Ruger LCR. I had to admit I loved the look of it but, I didn't think a revolver would be good for carry. So I went home to do some research.

Looking it up I realized it was the revolver Walter White carried in Breaking Bad. So, I went and rented it and put 50 rounds down range and fell in love.

So, the day after Christmas '13 I traded in my SR 22 and got the LCR 357. I was going to get the .38 but, I got a good trade in deal that I said what the hell and got the 357. And I've been carrying it everyday since.

I mean if a revolver is good enough for a meth making drug kingpin then it's good enough for me. :) Edited by FortKnox
I decided I needed to up my game for my EDC. Like the OP, I didn't know what I wanted, but after watching Snatch I knew I had found my future EDC. When I saw Bullet-Tooth Tony whip out that DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE OHHH it made me feel happy in my jiggly bits! It had size, it had bling, it had a certain je ne sais quoi!!! The only issue I've had is finding IWB holsters for it, I finally had a appendix rig made, man does that beast draw quick!

Everybody that owns a glock has.

<runs. hides.>

?? What, Glocks are in movies???  Getting another one :devil:

I never really pay attention to the guns as far as what brand they are and most times even the caliber.  Every once in awhile I'll fact check something they say about guns in movies such as when dirty harry said his was the most powerful handgun in the world (didn't get one) or when I first seen the chain gun in predator, had to see if it could be carried.  Most times I buy guns for practical purposes, such as my first Berretta 92 and ARs, train with what you carry.  But mostly I just happen upon a good deal and it happens to be a caliber I want so I get it, or I get to shoot one a friend has and I take a shine to it.

Nope but the reason I first started thinking I maybe sorta kinda might think about wanting a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 is because a character in a book by Larry Correia used one.  Then, again, it is my understanding that Correia is a NRA certified instructor, gunsmith and former gun dealer.  The guns in his books often get as much of a description as the characters who are carrying them.  I have always liked Marlin lever actions so that just makes me want one more.  Haven't bought one, though, and might not ever actually do it as the guns are not cheap, the ammo is not cheap and I don't have any, real use for one.

I will say that being a fan of good Westerns, in general, is probably part of why I like single action revolvers although I only have two of them (a Heritage Rough Rider and a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.)

Speaking of Westerns, I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of folks who have a Rossi Ranch Hand bought it because of Josh Randall in Wanted: Dead or Alive.  I don't have one of those, either, and really don't see the point in them but have to admit that Steve McQueen made it look cool.  Of course, he was Steve McQueen, so...

Edited by JAB
That is why I bought a FN FAL. During the Falklands war and thtoughout the 80's it was the rifle that seemed to be everywhere there was a shooting war going on. Then I watched the Wild Geese. So I bought my FN FAL in 1993 or 1994 Edited by zgunbear
  • Like 2

I admit my first ever handgun was the Beretta 92FS after watching the movie Lethal Weapon.  In this scene below, this is what sealed the deal for me!

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/leathal%20weapon_zpsvvrkbpzh.jpg.html]leathal%20weapon_zpsvvrkbpzh.jpg[/URL]

• Like 3

I can't say we have based on a show but our love of 10mm  developed after a night of watching The Walking Dead and discussing getting into the caliber. We now own 4 10mm guns. 

Personally I don't know why in the heck, but I have become a huge Glock Fan. Especially my 20 and 29. I have a 17 coming in today to my LGS from Bud's online. $531 with NiB-X slide. I really don't shoot 9mm but it was too purdy.

I can't say we have based on a show but our love of 10mm developed after a night of watching The Walking Dead and discussing getting into the caliber. We now own 4 10mm guns.

Personally I don't know why in the heck, but I have become a huge Glock Fan. Especially my 20 and 29. I have a 17 coming in today to my LGS from Bud's online. $531 with NiB-X slide. I really don't shoot 9mm but it was too purdy.

While I don't have any 10mm my love of that caliber started in the 80s as a kid because of Miami Vice.

Crockett.jpg Edited by FortKnox
  • Like 4

I decided I needed to up my game for my EDC. Like the OP, I didn't know what I wanted, but after watching Snatch I knew I had found my future EDC. When I saw Bullet-Tooth Tony whip out that DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE OHHH it made me feel happy in my jiggly bits! It had size, it had bling, it had a certain je ne sais quoi!!! The only issue I've had is finding IWB holsters for it, I finally had a appendix rig made, man does that beast draw quick!

Finally, a guy who can spell French words correctly!
  • Like 1

While I don't have any 10mm my love of that caliber started in the 80s as a kid because of Miami Vice.

Crockett.jpg

God I love that man. What is ridiculous is I had two new pistols to test last weekend. My new 20 and my new 21sf. I HATED my 21sf. I then went to the 20. WOW. What a difference. My grouping was awful with the 21 but with the 20 I was back to normal. It was probably all in my head, but targets don't lie.

Crockett.jpg

The Bren X the gun that almost wasn't, then was, then wasn't again... Created a cartridge that broke a lot of Delta Elites, faded away and was reborn after people figured out how good it was and started designing guns to work with it and last. 

To think with out the Been X none of that would have ever happened!

Oh and the answer is no, never bought a TV or Movie gun, but there is still time.

I actually had one of these in my hand and was getting ready to buy it.  This was several, or maybe a bunch of several years ago, and the price was up there for the time but much less than half of what there going for now.  I stood there and a friend talked me out of it because............................it had no magazine.  The add above says magazines are now going for over $100, I think its more like $200.  I sure wish I had a chance to do that one over again. :shake: