Outpost Armory new building

I saw on Facebook that Outpost is opening a new store/range in Murfreesboro. The range is for NRA members only. Anyone got any other info? I know it said you could shoot a Barrett 50 but it didn't say how long the range will be or if it's pistols, rifles, or both?

Since they are projecting a 27,000 sq. ft. building, I would imagine that the range would be a decent size. By comparison, their current retail location is between 6000-7000 sq. ft. Even so, considering that it will be an indoor range, I would imagine that the lane distance would be comparable to that of Nashville Armory, which allows longarms. There's certainly no room for a 100 yd. range indoors.

The proposed location is on W. Castle St., which is the street that runs behind Budget Brakes on Broad St. (near the intersection of Broad & Church St.)

I read the part about being able to fire a Barrett 50 as well-- if that's in their plan, they must be building one hell of a backstop.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, tartanphantom said:

Since they are projecting a 27,000 sq. ft. building, I would imagine that the range would be a decent size. By comparison, their current retail location is between 6000-7000 sq. ft. Even so, considering that it will be an indoor range, I would imagine that the lane distance would be comparable to that of Nashville Armory, which allows longarms. There's certainly no room for a 100 yd. range indoors.

The proposed location is on W. Castle St., which is the street that runs behind Budget Brakes on Broad St. (near the intersection of Broad & Church St.)

I read the part about being able to fire a Barrett 50 as well-- if that's in their plan, they must be building one hell of a backstop.

No kidding!!

5 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So they are going to turn those of us that are not NRA members away?

I bet they will.  Ronnie has taken some pretty positioned stances before and I can see them doing this.  He won't sell his 50cal to the State of California for example.  He said if the people can't have them, he wouldn't sell them to the State either.    While the NRA isn't perfect, they certainly do more than almost any other organization to help protect 2A.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 8
9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I bet they will.  Ronnie has taken some pretty positioned stances before and I can see them doing this.  He won't sell his 50cal to the State of California for example.  He said if the people can't have them, he wouldn't sell them to the State either.    While the NRA isn't perfect, they certainly do more than almost any other organization to help protect 2A.

I thought the Outpost was owned by Ronnie Barretts kid? I have more respect for Ronnie Barret than I have for the NRA. They (the owners) can do what they want. I was just questioning if they were going to turn us non NRA members away.

20 minutes ago, gomer pyle said:

Best I remember, they said they will be able to sign people up to become NRA members. So I assume, they will turn away non-members. 

Then they can kiss my ____.- In my opinion the NRA just wants to dig into my pocket and rest on their laurels. No thanks!

• Like 3

I think once they realize how much money in range fees they stand to lose by making it NRA only, they'll change their mind.  If they were serious about providing incentive for people to join gun rights organizations, they'd open it up to GOA, SAF, SCC, and other groups that do good work for gun rights.

55 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I think once they realize how much money in range fees they stand to lose by making it NRA only, they'll change their mind.  If they were serious about providing incentive for people to join gun rights organizations, they'd open it up to GOA, SAF, SCC, and other groups that do good work for gun rights.

I know some of the Barrett family and I doubt they are much concerned about the loss of revenue in range fees.  They are passionate about gun rights and the NRA.  I would be surprised if they change their stance.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Knock the NRA but who else does what they do? No other organization is as large or politically powerful.

There is absolutely no telling where gun laws would be right now without the new and more intractable NRA that has evolved since the AWB. Indeed, if membership falls, that simply means less voter power to hold over the heads of pols nationwide that will support more and more restrictive gun rights.

It's amazing what the NRA has been able to influence with only its 5 million or so members currently. Think if there were 25 million. I'm thinking that with the continuing wimpification of America, that 5 mil won't be nearly enough to sway the anti-gun sentiment translating to law (especially federal) ere long.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 13

I can't imagine any good reason not to be in the NRA right now. If nothing else isn't it worth $35 every year to see so many liberals piss themselves over the NRA? If you're a gun owner, and you aren't in the NRA you seriously need to ask yourself what you are doing to ensure our 2A rights for the future.

• Like 11
On 6/3/2016 at 1:50 PM, btq96r said:

I assure you-- there are more than enough interested NRA members within one county's distance (Rutherford, Cannon, Bedford, Coffee, Williamson, Wilson, and to a lesser extent--Davidson) who will drive to this new facility to use it. They will have no problems filling lanes with an NRA-only policy. As they are a private business, I have no problem with this policy if that's the route they choose. Hopefully it will help minimize the "stupid" factor that you see in the lanes so often at the "other" indoor range in Murfreesboro, which is why I no longer go there.

But yes-- very good points about making provisions for GOA and SAF-- both very worthy organizations.

Edited by tartanphantom
On 6/3/2016 at 2:52 PM, phiferran said:

I know some of the Barrett family and I doubt they are much concerned about the loss of revenue in range fees.  They are passionate about gun rights and the NRA.  I would be surprised if they change their stance.  

On 6/3/2016 at 4:56 PM, bud said:

As mentioned already, I can picture the little NRA table set up to speedily, with no muss or fuss register the un-registered. Probably for free, with the promise of a future contribution, or the applicant conceding to receive a mountain of junk-mail for the rest of the applicant's life. Most folks are not going to have an ethical problem with the NRA that prevents them from signing up. This is a wonderful idea for the 2 organizations involved, and I would be surprised if this is the first joint venture of this kind.

As far as foregoing potential revenue because of the "join or leave requirement", I'd imagine the financial contribution given by the NRA to subsidize the construction of this ";)NRA Registration Satellite Headquarters", will more than make up for any lost range fees.

16 minutes ago, tartanphantom said:

I assure you-- there are more than enough interested NRA members within one county's distance (Rutherford, Cannon, Bedford, Coffee, Williamson, Wilson, and to a lesser extent--Davidson) who will drive to this new facility to use it. They will have no problems filling lanes with an NRA-only policy. As they are a private business, I have no problem with this policy if that's the route they choose. Hopefully it will help minimize the "stupid" factor that you see in the lanes so often at the "other" indoor range in Murfreesboro, which is why I no longer go there.

But yes-- very good points about making provisions for GOA and SAF-- both very worthy organizations.

Fair enough.  I hope they do well, but I'm not joining the NRA just to have another option to shoot indoors.

On 6/3/2016 at 5:51 PM, ShamGlock said:

I can't imagine any good reason not to be in the NRA right now. If nothing else isn't it worth $35 every year to see so many liberals piss themselves over the NRA? If you're a gun owner, and you aren't in the NRA you seriously need to ask yourself what you are doing to ensure our 2A rights for the future.

The NRA rubs me the wrong way.  But I'm not failing to support the 2nd Amendment.  I have a life membership in the Second Amendment Foundation.  They're not as glitzy, or political, but they are the ones who led the fight in the McDonald case, which was pretty important for "our 2A rights for the future."  Their efforts are court battles, and they are sponsoring a lot of cases across the country. 

• Like 2
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, ShamGlock said:

Lets see, I am not a member but I call and send emails to representatives all over this country. Not just our representatives either, I call offices all over this country trying to help out my fellow gun owners. And that is the type of action we need because that did more to ward off the Sandy Hook legislation on a national level than the NRA ever could. There are more gun owners who do exactly that than there are members of the NRA. Just because someone sends $35 a year doesn't mean they get to sit on their butts, do nothing else and question what others are doing. It is almost like they are joining so they don't have to do anything else.

Ask a NRA member what they did to help preserve our rights and the majority will say "I joined the NRA" (And got a free magazine subscription). Ask a typical gun owner and most will say they have sent emails, made calls as well as show up to events.

The NRA, just like the liberals, only get involved if it fits their narrative.

Just seen an article about a women who was arrested and charged for discharging a firearm. She she fired shots to try to save her children after a bad guy shot her, soon to be, husband in the head, killing him. I will bet almost anything that calls to the NRA regarding that women will get ZERO response because it does not fit there narrative. BTW, the lady had a handgun carry permit, a legally purchased firearm and had every legal right to defend her children and herself from her would be attackers but instead she was arrested. And despite this being the PERFECT case to support I bet the NRA will sit that one out.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, btq96r said:

The NRA rubs me the wrong way.  But I'm not failing to support the 2nd Amendment.  I have a life membership in the Second Amendment Foundation.  They're not as glitzy, or political, but they are the ones who led the fight in the McDonald case, which was pretty important for "our 2A rights for the future."  Their efforts are court battles, and they are sponsoring a lot of cases across the country. 

Alan Gottlieb and Alan Gura of the Second Amendment Foundation are like master chess players in the judicial realm especially in the fight for the 2nd amendment.  I fully support their efforts as much as possible. 

• Like 1