Glock Gen5.

csaxj3

35 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

So a Gen 5 19 is thicker than a 21 ? This is weird .

22 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Geez, that doesn't look good. That's Glock's own specs??

There is certainly a possibility that width includes the flared magwell.  Regardless of that, the thing is thicker.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Garufa said:

There is certainly a possibility that width includes the flared magwell.  Regardless of that, the thing is thicker.

You know I was wondering if they were counting the flared bottom. If they were , surely the middle part where your hand goes is thinner .

• Administrator
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

So a Gen 5 19 is thicker than a 21 ? This is weird .

2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Geez, that doesn't look good. That's Glock's own specs??

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Dimensions provided will always be taken at the largest part.  For the Gen 5 that means the magwell.  The grip itself is the same width as the Gen 4 as far as I can tell.

So my obsession with the width is unfounded. Just stopped by the store and laid hands on both a 17 and 19.  Can't tell much difference between them and Gen 4's (but technically they are still wider according to some gun writers ;)), but the lack of finger grooves is fantastic, especially on the 19.

Triggers felt very nice as well.  They were smooth with no grittiness.

Once the dust settles I might just go back and look at them again.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

They've arrived. First impression, on the 19, you're gonna feel that cutout for the mag in the frontstrap when you fire it. That's not comfortable. Digs the pinky. It feels shorter, the pinky of my hand actually hits the mag, where on the Gen 4 it doesn't. Trigger is nice!

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

They've arrived. First impression, on the 19, you're gonna feel that cutout for the mag in the frontstrap when you fire it. That's not comfortable. Digs the pinky. It feels shorter, the pinky of my hand actually hits the mag, where on the Gen 4 it doesn't. Trigger is nice!

Man, you are suppossed to say "They are the best thing ever. Sell Ronald your old crap G4's so you can buy the new G5" I am offering $100 each. :dirty:

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Administrator
47 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

That semi-circle cut out for ripping the mag free was the dumbest way that Glock could have addressed that "problem".  A slightly enlarged magazine base plate and providing an indented relief on the front of the grip or on both sides of the grip would have been a better idea.

• Like 1

I have been shooting the Gen 3s for years, the 'ledge' on the trigger is something I don't even think about anymore. The Gen 5 was smoother, and the 'ledge' was much less noticeable. Honestly I didn't like it. However, for someone that isn't used to the older trigger, or doesn't have thousands and thousands of rounds through one, I am sure they would much prefer the newer iteration. 

36 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I'm  a big fan of Glock's but I don't feel that this one is "good" enough for me to make it a "have to have one" status.

I agree 100% . I have decided to only buy Gen 1,2, and 3 . I tried the Gen 4 and didn't like them plus I had a Gen 4 26 and it developed spot rust on it. In my 23 years of owning Glocks . I have never had one rust. So that out a terrible taste in my mouth for the gen 4 's. And I was real excited about the Gen 5's but I just don't see a need to make a different shaped firing pin and use a coil spring instead of the original leaf spring on the slide lock. I do like he fact that the Gen 5 is a 2-pin gun. The 1,2,and 3 Gens never gave me any trouble so that's why I like them so much. I am anxious to see how this new metal treatment and/or finish will hold up. My old Gen 2's and 3's have the original Tenifer treatment and you cant beat that ! Plus my Gen 3's have the "frying pan" finish on top of the Tenifer treatment. Those frying pan finishes will hold up to just about anything.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Wazzat? My 21 Gen 4 has an almost pearlescent finish. Is that what you mean?

The "frying pan" finish looks just like a Teflon coating on a frying pan. Some people say when you look at it under a magnifying glass it looks like the texture of an orange peel. But it is extremely durable and resists scratches very well. Even if a bad scratch happens , the Tenifer treatment under it in the metal will still keep it from rusting. I'll try and post an up-close picture of it .

34 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Wazzat? My 21 Gen 4 has an almost pearlescent finish. Is that what you mean?

Here's my old G30 . It has the "frying pan" finish over the Tenifer metal treatment. It is old and been used a lot and looks great . Look at the upclose pictures and see how the texture looks porous. This is the "frying pan" finish that most Glock guys look for .

fryingpan1.png

fryingpan2.jpg

1 minute ago, Steelharp said:

Definitely looks like black Teflon. 

Yeah man , it's a darn good coating or whatever they call it . I have thrown , and I mean thrown this gun into my truck tool box and into my floor board a lot and still no scratches. This Glock 30 was made in 2000 so that's 17 years old and look how new it looks. I have a G21 made in 2008 with the same "frying pan" finish so Glock made this at least from 2000 to 2008. My Gen 2's have the original mat finish that scratches easily but I don't care since they don't rust.