Jack Daniels vs. George Dickel

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I’m an Evan Williams fan.

We went to the Evan Williams experience in Louisville and had a great time. You should take a road trip up there with your wife and check it out. The bourbon tour is fun and the history behind it is interesting. 

• Like 2

I can’t quit bartending. The money is addicting and I do it on the side. 

Dickel 12. 

Im not a JD fan because I don’t like the “marshmallow” finish. Too sweet. The single barrel is delicious as it filters out the sweet. 

if you guys want good bourbon grab a four roses single barrel. +-$35-45. Not much of a drinker these days. Don’t know the market. For the house bourbon I’d pick four roses or Dickel. 

• Like 2

I've had some Jack but it's been a long long time, so I must not be a fan.  I like Jim Beam Black as well,  Not sure I've tasted any Dickle.  I have some JB Black in the cabinet, along with some Bullitt, which is pretty good.  Weller is good, but I can't really tell the difference between most of them as my taste buds just don't work all that well anymore.  LOL.

If Jack or Dickel were the only choices, I'd drink rum. Dickel is better than Jack, but that's a pretty low hurdle.  There's so much reasonably priced and good tasting whisky available now, I don't know why anyone drinks Jack Daniels.  Gentleman Jack is fine, but regular Jack just isn't good. 

Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Bushmills, Makers Mark, Angels Envy, 4 Roses, etc..  You don't even have to get into to more boutique stuff like Bulliet or Blantons.  Heck, even Turkey or Crown is better than Jack. 

8 hours ago, res308 said:

Not a huge Jack fan, but Gentleman Jack is pretty good. 

Come to think of it, I’ve never tried George Dickel. 

If I keep anything around I do tend to favor Jim Beam Black. 

I did love me some beam and gingers when I was a broke college kid. Would shell out a couple more bucks over Evan Williams. 

Bourbon is also fascinating with the fact that so many brands use the same mash and runoff and everything kinda trickles down the bourbon brand tree. Brown foreman makes so many bourbons with essentially the same “starter”. Used to be a food and beverage director and dated a liquor rep but I data dumped that knowledge as I don’t drink often now. 

Couple other cheap req: old forester I think 86 or 90 proof is good budget. Mixes well. And even though it is cheap as hell I love me some “rebel yell”. The Billy Idol song rebel yell was actually about them tying one on with mick jagger and they were harassing the cocktail waitress for “more, more, more”. It burns, but my pallet likes it. Almost peppery. Used to carry it and recommend it and people either loved or hated it.