Man with gun walking around midtown Memphis

Police looked into it. Found that there was nothing illegal about it. By law, you can indeed walk around with a rifle. They talked to the guy who simply said it was for personal protection. No charges filed. 

JMHO: it was a pretty stupid move. It was legal, but it also freaked out a bunch of people. No need to be spooking the public unnecessarily. 🤬

• Thanks 1

I’ve been keeping up with this since yesterday when the Memphis Reddit hysterics started loosing their minds.

No, I do not have a Reddit account or participate but it’s free to look. 😀 Since I am in fact from midtown I kinda keep up with what’s going on down there.

Dude was not carrying a rifle as is obvious in the pics.  It’s clearly a “pistol” but of course it is not being reported or discussed that way.  He also might just be a spaz.

https://wreg.com/news/local/memphis-is-a-dangerous-place-man-with-rifle-on-street-tells-police/

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’ve been keeping up with this since yesterday when the Memphis Reddit hysterics started loosing their minds.

No, I do not have a Reddit account or participate but it’s free to look. 😀 Since I am in fact from midtown I kinda keep up with what’s going on down there.

Dude was not carrying a rifle as is obvious in the pics.  It’s clearly a “pistol” but of course it is not being reported or discussed that way.  He also might just be a spaz.

https://wreg.com/news/local/memphis-is-a-dangerous-place-man-with-rifle-on-street-tells-police/

But now leftist media is melting down because they think he was walking around with an “assault weapon.”  It’s not clear if he was too close to a school, but he otherwise did nothing illegal.  However, he is getting more attention than those who actually shot someone and were released without bail.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Pain103 said:

I thought that name had been outlawed haven't heard it in years. 

Well, that’s what you get if you type his name in this forum. This was the first thing I’ve seen in a while that brought him to mind.

Last I remember of him, he was sitting on Gallatin Pike in Hendersonville, stopped in his car trying to get rear ended at a flashing red light.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

But now leftist media is melting down because they think he was walking around with an “assault weapon.”  It’s not clear if he was too close to a school, but he otherwise did nothing illegal.  However, he is getting more attention than those who actually shot someone and were released without bail.  

He was within a mile of two schools (I went to one of them), so that added a bit to the sensationalism.

The current generation of midtown weirdos are something else but residents of the area never have gone around in whatever “state of readiness” that has been displayed here. 😀

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The current generation of midtown weirdos are something else but residents of the area never have gone around in whatever “state of readiness” that has been displayed here. 😀

47 minutes ago, DonK said:

Legal or not, it makes other gun owners look bad and only pushes anti-gun movement legislation. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Agreed.  There is a push to legalize carrying long guns, but I think it would rarely be prudent to do so.  Discretion is the better part of valor, or however the saying goes.  

Speaking with a Deputy yesterday, it was as I thought, an AR pistol.  From the grainy picture you can tell it is short barreled, and there is only a buffer tube, no stock.  The weapon when handled by police had an empty chamber but a fully loaded magazine.

Itis a crime to carry a long gun (or any firearm or a club for that matter) there are defenses against prosecution of that crime listed in the TCA.

You can only carry a rifle in public if there is no ammunition within reach (39-17-1308) unless while licensed hunting, sport shooting (he was not at a range) or one of several government officials such as police or a judge.

39-17-1308

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315, § 39-17-1351, or § 39-17-1366;

(3) At the person's:

(A) Place of residence;

(B) Place of business; or

(C) Premises;

(4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;

(5) By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

(6) By a Tennessee valley authority officer who holds a valid commission from the commissioner of safety pursuant to this part while the officer is in the performance of the officer's official duties;

(7) By a state, county or municipal judge or any federal judge or any federal or county magistrate;

(10) By any out-of-state, full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer who holds a valid commission card from the appropriate out-of-state law enforcement agency and a photo identification; provided, that if no valid commission card and photo identification are retained, then it shall be unlawful for that officer to carry firearms in this state and this section shall not apply. The defense provided by this subdivision (a)(10) shall only be applicable if the state where the out-of-state officer is employed has entered into a reciprocity agreement with this state that allows a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer in Tennessee to lawfully carry or possess a weapon in the other state;

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Garufa said:

He was within a mile of two schools (I went to one of them), so that added a bit to the sensationalism.

If in fact it was a pistol version (which it was) and the individual had an enhanced permit, proximity to the school is not an issue, can't go on the grounds legally but being near it does not violate the law.

11 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Well, that’s what you get if you type his name in this forum. This was the first thing I’ve seen in a while that brought him to mind.

Last I remember of him, he was sitting on Gallatin Pike in Hendersonville, stopped in his car trying to get rear ended at a flashing red light.

This guy is Derek Winn, it was not Voldemort.

Idiot set back gains made toward resetting the law to the original intent, was grandstanding and attention seeking in my view.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, scatman said:

If it's an AR pistol does it not fall under handgun regulation? In which case, it wouldn't have mattered if the chamber was loaded, because it is a handgun. 

I think that’s why there were no charges, but the news is saying the guy was walking around with a rifle.  Misinformation rules again.  

• Like 2

I am asking this with genuine curiosity, not stirring the pot.

What good is it for it to be legal to carry an AR pistol if even us pro-2A folks don't want people to carry them?

I'm accusing myself of this same thinking. I'd NEVER carry an AR pistol around for all the same reasons above. BUT, I'm also ashamed of myself for not doing so if the reason is that I might scare the lib-tards.

Edited by BigK
spelling
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, BigK said:

What good is it for it to be legal to carry an AR pistol if even us pro-2A folks don't want people to carry them?

I'm accusing myself of this same thinking. I'd NEVER carry an AR pistol around for all the same reasons above. BUT, I'm also ashamed of myself for not doing so if the reason is that I might scare the lib-tards.

Somehow it seems to be ingrained into the human psyche that it’s so k for me to do whatever, but not for others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, BigK said:

There are other societal enforcement mechanisms, then the law/violence. Just because we don’t believe something should be a crime, doesn’t mean that we think it is something people should do. Shame, condemnation, and exclusion from community are all reasonable methods of ensuring that respect for societal norms is maintained. 

Do I think it should be illegal to carry a loaded long arm on one’s person? Absolutely not. Do I want people just wandering around with the rifles on their back? No. I don’t think that’s good either.

• Like 6