Like new bologna

On 3/17/2024 at 10:01 PM, Gunlove5656 said:

I cant believe how many times I come across something in here and somebody want top dollar for a firearm they own and claim its never been shot or only one magazine and I just find it hard to believe that nearly everyones weapons are not shot or LNIB. idk if this is wrong to post here or not excuse me if it is.

Then buy somewhere else. That is your right.  Complaining about it is not. It's other people's property until YOU buy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

NIB doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I've recently had 3 unfired... it comes with the territory over time.

The more surprising part is the value that some folks attach to their stuff. Especially if it comes with the "custom" descriptor.

image.thumb.png.1e2399ece600331ea6b4657a4f8c3a04.png

Custom just means the AR was built with the cheapest parts someone could find.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 3/18/2024 at 12:51 PM, Links2k said:

I normally purchase new, moderately priced guns in pairs. I’ve sold and purchased several that are exactly as described. Some guns get a magazine or two through them, and some don’t. I have some expensive guns in the safe that I just wanted, and they’ve never had a magazine inside them. 

The most important thing I’ve learned about buying or selling on here is to be honest. A good reputation makes it easy to do both. In most cases, if the sale were local, I’d almost always throw in something (ammo or accessories) for free. 

Good luck with your future sales or purchases!

Hey Link, serious question, what is your reasoning for buying in pairs? 

I’m fairly new around here and have only made a couple of deals so far, but I’m amazed how smoothly both deals went. I also got to meet a couple of great guys in the process.

I just can’t help myself when I get a new firearm! I have to take it to the range 😀. I’ve accumulated 35 or so now and all of them have been to the range. My brother-in-law is just the opposite, he just collects and hardly fires them. It pains me, lol. He has a CZ Czechmate Parrot that I’m itching to shoot, but guess what, they’re discontinued now and he will probably never shoot it. 

All said, I’m glad to be part of the group and have seen most things priced fairly. 

Edited by Yengo

His buying in pairs is OCD. I have it as well. I bought 2 new Ruger Mini 14;s, 2 new Ruger Mini 30;s, 2 new CZ Redhead Premier O/U shotguns, 2 new Stoeger Coach Guns, 2 new Rock River AR's, 2 new PSA AR;s and 2 new PSA AK-47;s. Who would have ever guessed I would have something in common with Links. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
31 minutes ago, eRay said:

His buying in pairs is OCD. I have it as well. I bought 2 new Ruger Mini 14;s, 2 new Ruger Mini 30;s, 2 new CZ Redhead Premier O/U shotguns, 2 new Stoeger Coach Guns, 2 new Rock River AR's, 2 new PSA AR;s and 2 new PSA AK-47;s. Who would have ever guessed I would have something in common with Links. 

Ohhhh gotcha! I was thinking maybe shoot one and keep one unfired. You guys must be smooth talkers to your wives 😀I have trouble explaining why I need “one” more, lol. 

I won’t buy a gun that I won’t shoot.   I just don’t want to be a guy with NIB collector’s stuff.   Now most of mine might not get fired much but all of them have been to the range at least once.   

1 hour ago, eRay said:

Pretty close. Also, if you all remember how crazy inventory and prices started getting out of hand some years back. I started the practice for redundancy and spare parts if things had gotten as bad as some had predicted. I was always the contrary optimist about that situation, but I wasn’t crazy enough to not be prepared. It just became a bad habit. 😅

37 minutes ago, Yengo said:

You guys must be smooth talkers to your wives 😀I have trouble explaining why I need “one” more, lol. 

My wife loves to travel, so guns are the most affordable things I can purchase for myself. 😀

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

Pretty close. Also, if you all remember how crazy inventory and prices started getting out of hand some years back. I started the practice for redundancy and spare parts if things had gotten as bad as some had predicted. I was always the contrary optimist about that situation, but I wasn’t crazy enough to not be prepared. It just became a bad habit. 😅

My wife loves to travel, so guns are the most affordable things I can purchase for myself. 😀

Also if one is not working correctly you have a spare to compare it with in order to find out what is different.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Then buy somewhere else. That is your right.  Complaining about it is not. It's other people's property until YOU buy it.

Wasn’t particularly complaining just wanted to post something because I know a lot of people on here might keep things NIB or not shoot them but wow I holy doubt every single gun for sale online is New and some of the prices are ridiculous I was surprised at how much traction this post got wasn’t trying to upset anyone.

5 hours ago, Gunlove5656 said:

Wasn’t particularly complaining just wanted to post something because I know a lot of people on here might keep things NIB or not shoot them but wow I holy doubt every single gun for sale online is New and some of the prices are ridiculous I was surprised at how much traction this post got wasn’t trying to upset anyone.

I don’t think anyone is upset. We’re just trying to answer your question. Collectors of anything are an odd lot. I guess they see it as a form of investment. I’m glad they exist. They do the world a favor in preserving pieces of history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Gunlove5656 said:

Eh, I didn't see anyone get mad. We just obviously think you're wrong in this context. No offense meant of course, but you made a post to ask so... collectively, we answered.

One extra cool thing about this place:  If someone WAS trying to sell you used as NIB... you can report that. The community does its best to weed out dishonest folks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I thought the question sounded a little accusatory, yet all but one response was civil and informative.

I guess I don't see enough "not shot or LNIB" classifieds to say "nearly everyone's weapons". If it actually is a significant percentage, I'd chalk it up to the fact that most don't sell the guns they like unless money's tight. I suspect most of us only sell the guns we bought, but realized we don't like as much as we expected or don't use much, which would explain the round count.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, BigK said:

I thought the question sounded a little accusatory, yet all but one response was civil and informative.

I guess I don't see enough "not shot or LNIB" classifieds to say "nearly everyone's weapons". If it actually is a significant percentage, I'd chalk it up to the fact that most don't sell the guns they like unless money's tight. I suspect most of us only sell the guns we bought, but realized we don't like as much as we expected or don't use much, which would explain the round count.

I wasn't trying to be accusatory but I could see how it sounds like that I guess I could've worded it better just for me when I buy a gun or own it I wanna shoot it quite a bit to really enjoy it and to see how the gun feel's I'm not like one of these youtube guys that complains over the smallest indiscrepancies either I just have a love for guns not matter what unless it genuinely a piece of junk.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Gunlove5656 said:

I wasn't trying to be accusatory but I could see how it sounds like that I guess I could've worded it better just for me when I buy a gun or own it I wanna shoot it quite a bit to really enjoy it and to see how the gun feel's I'm not like one of these youtube guys that complains over the smallest indiscrepancies either I just have a love for guns not matter what unless it genuinely a piece of junk.

I'm the same way. If I buy it, I want to shoot it. Adulting is hard though and I don't have property to shoot on. This means I have to pack up, go someplace, pay-to-play, etc. So instead of just fun, it starts to feel like a chore. The older I get, the less I want to take up additional chores.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I won’t buy a gun that I won’t shoot.   I just don’t want to be a guy with NIB collector’s stuff.   Now most of mine might not get fired much but all of them have been to the range at least once.   

I'm with you.  Collectors will miss the joy they can have in firing the guns before the terrible boating accident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a few I've never shot, but they were all used by their prior owners. Some are old milsurp warhorses that I either don't have ammo to feed to them, I haven't taken the time to learn how to operate them, or I simply haven't been to a long enough range often enough to get them into the mix. Those I really don't mind not shooting. Their value to me is in the stories they tell. I'm definitely a collector vs. a shooter with the WW2 stuff.

I do have one modern rifle (7.62x39 AK) still NIB. I got a good price from a trusted member here so I grabbed it and put it away. I have another "better" AK I shoot. I guess the NIB one is squirreled away for EOTWAWKI or if AK prices go nuts then I can turn some cash.

I have a few that have had very few rounds through them. I built an AR pistol with my TGO upper and lower from the group buy a few years ago because pistols were kind of the hot thing at the time. I'm not sure I put a full 30 round mag through it. I prefer the 16.5" or longer ARs so it sits and does nothing. Same with an AK pistol. I got a Mini Draco years ago and was planning to SBR it, but never took the NFA plunge. I know I didn't get a whole 30-rd mag through it. It's kind of fun to shoot, but I'm not accurate with it so it too stays tucked away for "maybe someday I'll do something with it". My Mosins (1891/30 and an M44 carbine) are kind of like them too. I know they've had a lot of rounds sent through them by Soviet troops, but not by me. They're a hoot for a few rounds down range and to watch the huge fireballs from the M44 but then that's enough. I keep them "just because".

• Like 1
On 3/20/2024 at 12:19 AM, Gunlove5656 said:

I'm not upset at all. I, by my nature, get to the point. We just have a current presidential candidate going through essentially the same thing with New York. What someone wants to sell their property for doesn't matter if the buyer wants to buy it at that price point.

Now if someone falsely advertises and item that isn't what they say it is then there's something to complain about, and why there's reputation points on the forum.

I hope that makes sense.

Edited by E4 No More
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I'm not upset at all. I, by my nature, get to the point. We just have a current presidential candidate going through essentially the same thing with New York. What someone wants to sell their property for doesn't matter if the buyer wants to buy it at that price point.

Now if someone falsely advertises and item that isn't what they say it is then there's something to complain about, and why there's reputation points on the forum.

I hope that makes sense.

Mar-a-largo worth every dime they appraised it for.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 8:20 PM, eRay said:

Most firearm trainers will say to have two of your primary arms in case you are ever involved in a shooting. They will confiscate your firearm until the investigation is complete and you are cleared. Having a duplicate means you don't have to learn a new primary. Sadly, I haven't the focus to get two of the same, I want something different most often.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, papa61 said:

Most firearm trainers will say to have two of your primary arms in case you are ever involved in a shooting. They will confiscate your firearm until the investigation is complete and you are cleared. Having a duplicate means you don't have to learn a new primary. Sadly, I haven't the focus to get two of the same, I want something different most often.

Seems a waste. In the highly unlikely event of a SD shooting, buy the second one then. If a person can afford to buy 2 now, they can buy 1 now and 1 later if needed.

• Like 1

Just as reference, there are a couple of beautiful unfired collector's pieces that came up on our classifieds today. I felt they were quite reasonably priced. I am not ashamed to say they are out of my price range but if I bought them (which I would) It would be unrealistic to expect I wouldn't shoot at least one of them.

@monkeylizard There is always the option of carrying two, one for each hand or a New York reload.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a currently or recently produced piece, 90% of the time you can find it cheaper online somewhere. Not necessarily here but there are plenty of "like new" private party firearms available where the asking price is higher than new from an online retailer. Haggling is a dead art form and humans are a pain to deal with so ordering a mass produced pew pew from a faceless website and having it shipped to my local FFL who I end up BSing with for hours every time he has a transfer for me. The choice is simple.

If it's out of production, well, good luck and godspeed. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LangdoniousRex said:

If it's a currently or recently produced piece, 90% of the time you can find it cheaper online somewhere. Not necessarily here but there are plenty of "like new" private party firearms available where the asking price is higher than new from an online retailer. Haggling is a dead art form and humans are a pain to deal with so ordering a mass produced pew pew from a faceless website and having it shipped to my local FFL who I end up BSing with for hours every time he has a transfer for me. The choice is simple.

If it's out of production, well, good luck and godspeed. 

Not disagreeing. Just a difference in opinion.  It seems customarily that pricing wise, it is typical to see a current, like new, production piece priced same as you can get it elsewhere minus tax and transfer. Depending on location I'll buy that "used" piece, especially if it's a quick and easy transaction because a) it's going to save me a little bit of money b) I don't have to mess with an online retailer and my local FFL and c) I don't trust the government and would prefer there not to be a paper trail on the purchase. (I'm not kidding myself here, I would be ashamed of myself if I'm not already on "The List". I just prefer to not file paperwork with the government informing them of what I have.)

• Like 1