Baltimore Bridge Collapse

23 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

For the record here, the Francis Scott Key bridge is a part of the federal interstate highway system (I-695). It is also a primary conduit of truck traffic through the area and the designated route for hazmat cargo through Baltimore. this will have a significant impact on commerce and logistics, both by land and sea for quite a while until the bridge has been rebuilt.

I stand corrected,,,partially. (open mouth, remove foot) I know it will impact shipping and commerce, still not my tax dollar responsibility. Increased costs by the affected goods would cover it just like during the pandemic when everyone was getting fed dollars.

Still the ship owner's responsibility though Maritime laws differ from US or International law.

33 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

For the record here, the Francis Scott Key bridge is a part of the federal interstate highway system (I-695). It is also a primary conduit of truck traffic through the area and the designated route for hazmat cargo through Baltimore. this will have a significant impact on commerce and logistics, both by land and sea for quite a while until the bridge has been rebuilt.

I have a feeling those two tunnels nearby are about to get a workout.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, papa61 said:

I stand corrected,,,partially. (open mouth, remove foot) I know it will impact shipping and commerce, still not my tax dollar responsibility. Increased costs by the affected goods would cover it just like during the pandemic when everyone was getting fed dollars.

Depending on the transportation of goods affected by this incident, you might be paying out of pocket at the store just like everyone has in the past 4 years.  Prices have gone up tremendously  and that is directly related to pandemic policies and the disruption of the supply chain.

If the bridge is that important then “we” will pay to rebuild it asap.  Your tax dollars, mine, and everyone else that pays federal taxes.  Even Biden’s government will go after whoever they can for compensation from insurance or the shipping company that owns the defective ship.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
40 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Yep.  I wonder how much prices in general are going to go up now due to this new hitch in the supply chain.  I’m being a bit facetious, but also serious.

Where do the boats with European ammo shipments land?  Hope it’s not around there.

It was the #1 intake port for automobiles in 2023. It intakes a lot more than just euro stuff. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Depending on the transportation of goods affected by this incident, you might be paying out of pocket at the store just like everyone has in the past 4 years.  Prices have gone up tremendously.

If the bridge is that important then “we” will pay to rebuild it asap.  Your tax dollars, mine, and everyone else that pays federal taxes.  Even Biden’s government will go after whoever they can for compensation from insurance or the shipping company that owns the defective ship.

Bingo. 

2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It was the #1 intake port for automobiles in 2023. It intakes a lot more than just euro stuff. 

Then the price of new cars just went up.  Like they’re already affordable.  😀

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I have a feeling those two tunnels nearby are about to get a workout.

Yeah, and the western leg of the 695, which is 3 times the distance of the leg that the FSK was on is about to get a whole lot more congested with trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Then the price of new cars just went up.  Like they’re already affordable.  😀

I’ve never considered a brand new car a good buy, but these days it’s just insanity. Especially trucks. 

• Like 2

Where the ship hit I could see the span on either side coming down but it is a bit scary how dependent the rest of the bridge was with what fell down.  Looked like dominoes.

• Like 1

I was raised in Baltimore and used to fish the pylons of that bridge from Dad's boat as a child.

I shed a tear or two when I first saw the footage.

I just happen to be headed tomorrow to visit the parents, the last leg of the trip being on 695. Yay... 😬

Pray for me as I will be on two wheels.

Jay

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, papa61 said:

Still the ship owner's responsibility though Maritime laws differ from US or International law.

We had an 18 wheeler hit the bridge abutment of SR171 going over I-40 in Mt Juliet and severely damage it. I don’t know if you can imagine closing My Juliet road, but it was a disaster.

I tell you this to say that no one haggled over who paid to repair it. The state picked up the tab, and later went after the trucking company, insurance company, and whoever to recoup the money. Priority one was to reopen the bridge to traffic. That may not make sense to you, but it does to me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

We had an 18 wheeler hit the bridge abutment of SR171 going over I-40 in Mt Juliet and severely damage it. I don’t know if you can imagine closing My Juliet road, but it was a disaster.

I tell you this to say that no one haggled over who paid to repair it. The state picked up the tab, and later went after the trucking company, insurance company, and whoever to recoup the money. Priority one was to reopen the bridge to traffic. That may not make sense to you, but it does to me.

Quite a valid point. FIx it and sue the at fault. Should be a slam dunk with the history of that ship. My thinking is the fed dollars will never be returned, prices will increase due to using other ports, the shippers and ports will make a profitt and any money recouped from the ship owners will be diverted to the companies who take a "loss" over the whole mess. In essence, we will pay twice to rebuild.

Also, I'm totally untrusting of anything coming out of Joe's mouth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Biden said yesterday that he’d ridden a train over the bridge many times.

I think he is referring to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O Railroad) bridge that was on the line that ran through that area but it was torn down in 1889.  So, it has been a while since he was on it but we all know ho he often gets confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I saw Buttgig in a news conference say they will likely have to seek funding from Congress (aka taxpayer dollars) to replace the bridge.  I call BS on that, they can use some of that $1.2 trillion they just got a couple of years ago:

"The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), aka Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), was signed into law by President Biden on November 15, 2021. The law authorizes $1.2 trillion for transportation and infrastructure spending with $550 billion of that figure going toward "new" investments and programs."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Authorized Vendor
42 minutes ago, HKfanTN said:

I saw Buttgig in a news conference say they will likely have to seek funding from Congress (aka taxpayer dollars) to replace the bridge.  I call BS on that, they can use some of that $1.2 trillion they just got a couple of years ago:

"The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), aka Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), was signed into law by President Biden on November 15, 2021. The law authorizes $1.2 trillion for transportation and infrastructure spending with $550 billion of that figure going toward "new" investments and programs."

Surely the wisdom of our legislators managed to not include bridge building in that bill....just  sayin'.

n:

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Garufa said:

Yep.  I wonder how much prices in general are going to go up now due to this new hitch in the supply chain.  I’m being a bit facetious, but also serious.

Where do the boats with European ammo shipments land?  Hope it’s not around there.

You’re right, prices are gonna shoot up.  Instead of sending all this money to Ukraine, maybe we could spend it on our own border security and infrastructures. Just saying…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Defender said:

You’re right, prices are gonna shoot up.  Instead of sending all this money to Ukraine, maybe we could spend it on our own border security and infrastructures. Just saying…

If we stopped all the foreign funding and aid, maybe we could have nice things for ourselves too. Like good roads and infrastructure. I know Europe’s real proud of that universal healthcare subsidized by American taxpayers in the form of NATO security guarantees. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If we stopped all the foreign funding and aid, maybe we could have nice things for ourselves too. Like good roads and infrastructure. I know Europe’s real proud of that universal healthcare subsidized by American taxpayers in the form of NATO security guarantees. 

And if we stopped all foreign funding we will essentially be flushed down the toilet of world history.  Maybe Chinese and Russian children will be taught in future generations of the capitalist pigs that lived on this continent, but only in terms of reinforcing their own superiority.

• Moderators

And if we stopped all foreign funding we will essentially be flushed down the toilet of world history.  Maybe Chinese and Russian children will be taught in future generations of the capitalist pigs that lived on this continent, but only in terms of reinforcing their own superiority.

Hate to break it to ya, but that page of history has already been written. Our kids and grandkids will get to live it because we gave away everything in search of cheap crap to buy at cheaper prices and the illusion of always fleeting power. The locus of global power has shifted eastward already and we are doing nothing but continuing to impoverish ourselves with our foreign and economic policy and focusing on an irrelevant European continent. China, Russia, and the Islamic world doesn’t have to do anything to destroy us other than not get in our way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Biden said yesterday that he’d ridden a train over the bridge many times. I’ve never seen a train on an interstate bridge.

What an idiot! Just because FJB says someting...we are supposed to think it's words of truth from God's mouth!