For the "I never clean my guns" crowd

Erik88

If you're going to carry a firearm for personal protection, treat that weapon as if your life depends on it working - because it just might.

I think that’s been stated by a few people around here with a lot of experience.

I won't lie, I don't think I have cleaned my Glock in a year or so.

However, I inspect it after every range trip and do a quick strip and oil. Just because I have this morbid fascination with seeing how dirty it is getting.

Edited by Murgatroy

I'm part of the never clean crowd...never had any buildup even remotely close to that shown in the picture. I even dirty up my guns on purpose just to make sure they still function. My thoughts are, if a gun is unreliable when its dirty, then I'm not going to bet my life on it. For that purpose, guns that don't function flawlessly under severe (but not extreme) conditions get sold off.

There's no reason to have to clean an unfired gun weekly or biweekly. That gun in the picture is clean except for an isolated extreme dust bunny in the guide rod? Cmon' now. I bet none of us could even re-create that scenario even if we dunked the gun in a bucket of dust and ran it through a tumbler for hours on end.

I'll add this, the pistol did NOT fail to function. It was simply dirty with foriegn matter inside the pistol.

If pocket lint will stop your gun from working, I would search for a new pistol.

This. And I wonder if he carried it in a holster, or just loose in his pocket? I also wonder if he's ever cleaned out the lint trap in his clothes dryer.

I'm part of the never clean crowd...never had any buildup even remotely close to that shown in the picture. I even dirty up my guns on purpose just to make sure they still function. My thoughts are, if a gun is unreliable when its dirty, then I'm not going to bet my life on it. For that purpose, guns that don't function flawlessly under severe (but not extreme) conditions get sold off.

There's no reason to have to clean an unfired gun weekly or biweekly. That gun in the picture is clean except for an isolated extreme dust bunny in the guide rod? Cmon' now. I bet none of us could even re-create that scenario even if we dunked the gun in a bucket of dust and ran it through a tumbler for hours on end.

looks like a sig 238? I clean mine about every month and a half. It has lint in the hammer and firing pin area, and not a cake of it, just a little bit. Nothing inside. The biggest reason I clean it that often is to relube it more than to do anything, but I have pulled some hair out of the inside once or twice. I like it to have a good coat of lube. I am confident it could shoot with the junk and no lube, but I paid way too much for it to abuse it.

I haven't cleaned my carry gun in months, even after a couple range trips. But that doesn't mean I havent checked it for foreign objects and slide function.

I garuntee a little lint and some carbon from a couple hundred rounds isnt gonna stop the gun from functioning. At least not mine.

Guest motonut

looks like a sig 238? I clean mine about every month and a half. It has lint in the hammer and firing pin area, and not a cake of it, just a little bit. Nothing inside. The biggest reason I clean it that often is to relube it more than to do anything, but I have pulled some hair out of the inside once or twice. I like it to have a good coat of lube. I am confident it could shoot with the junk and no lube, but I paid way too much for it to abuse it.

Looks more like a Kahr to me, hard to tell which one though.

Edit, should have read the rest of the thread first....

Edited by motonut