I pose this question...

This has been asked on a different forum a few days ago and I wanted to see what the consesus here is.

Should a NON-US citizen be allowed to possess or carry concealed in the States?( not talking about the illegal aliens..)I am talking about legit green card holders (me )

I got so hot over that topic,I talked myself into a frenzy over it trying to discuss it with a friend today.

According to alot of people.. I should not be alowed to defend myself if the need arises..

If you have a green card then there is no problem at all, you and my wife have went through more background checks than the majority of citizens in this country and imo, have a lot more to lose if the firearm is misused.

Anyone arguing against that probably doesn't understand what is at stake for permanent residents, not sure anyone of you all would carry just for fun simply for risking your citizenship process.

• Like 1
Guest pfries

IMO

If you are hear legally and meet the criteria for being able to possess a firearm then you should be able to possess a firearm, and by the same token if you meet the requirements set forth to carry then by all means yes you should be able to carry.

If you have chosen to be here in the states you more than likely have a greater appreciation of the freedoms and privileges afforded here. Many who were born here are clueless, thankless, and take them for granted.

My :2cents: for what it's worth.

Pat

Edited by pfries

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

• Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been
    "Processed for I-551"
  • Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
  • Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551†stamp and holder’s photograph affixed
  • Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
  • Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
  • Form I-94 stamped with one of the following statuses: Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee

Do you not meet any of those?

Yes. Being that my father was born in the UK, this is an issue that would strike close to home. In his case his many years as an LEO would make most arguments moot, but I personally believe anyone here legally and permanently or even semi permanently should be granted that very important right.

Who in their right mind could argue otherwise?

IMO

If you are hear legally and meet the criteria for being able to possess a firearm then you should be able to possess a firearm, and by the same token if you meet the requirements set forth to carry then by all means yes you should be able to carry.

If you have chosen to be here in the states you more than likely have a greater appreciation of the freedoms and privileges afforded here. Many who were born here are clueless, thankless, and take them for granted.

My :2cents: for what it's worth.

Pat

Exactly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Green card holders should be allowed to get a HCP, if they want one. It's stupid to say otherwise, since they are here following the letter of the law. Sometimes people can't or won't see the difference in legal and illegal aliens and just lump them all together. Those people tend to be called bigots, in my book. :)

This isn't necessarily my opinion but something to think about.

Is having a handgun carry permit (HCP) a right, or a privilege?

Should a guest in this country have all the rights, benefits and privilege's as a born or naturalized citizen?

Just how does the government do a back ground check on a person who is a citizen of, say, the Republic of Congo?

• Like 1

This isn't necessarily my opinion but something to think about.

Is having a handgun carry permit (HCP) a right, or a privilege?

Should a guest in this country have all the rights, benefits and privilege's as a born or naturalized citizen?

Just how does the government do a back ground check on a person who is a citizen of, say, the Republic of Congo?

The HCP is a priviledge , of course...

I am not a guest.. if I where a guest.. I would be on a visitor visa.. I am here , able to work and able to pay taxes..

.Actualy there is a section of the backroundcheck provided for non-US citizens, but I am pretty sure they are just going on what the tics has on file for anyone..I have been here since 1985 and have had a few backroundchecks done.. and was extensivly investigated by the State Department for a clearance..

And i do not have all teh rights as you or a natural born citizen... I can not get a job for the post office for instance.. or vote.

Other than than..I am the same as you :)

The HCP is a priviledge , of course...

I am not a guest.. if I where a guest.. I would be on a visitor visa.. I am here , able to work and able to pay taxes..

.Actualy there is a section of the backroundcheck provided for non-US citizens, but I am pretty sure they are just going on what the tics has on file for anyone..I have been here since 1985 and have had a few backroundchecks done.. and was extensivly investigated by the State Department for a clearance..

And i do not have all teh rights as you or a natural born citizen... I can not get a job for the post office for instance.. or vote.

Other than than..I am the same as you :)

Now here is where I am confused, how are you not allowed to vote, yet I see illegal immigrants being pursued by the local democrats to register to vote, complete with massive billboards in Spanish?

Now here is where I am confused, how are you not allowed to vote, yet I see illegal immigrants being pursued by the local democrats to register to vote, complete with massive billboards in Spanish?

Only US citizens can vote in Federal elections. Non-US citizens may be able to vote in state or municipal elections, but that will depend on the voting laws in the respective states.

The key to me is entered legal with all papers with intent to become a citizen , that is the foot hold my wife came here 30 some odd years ago a she is more American than many natural born. You talk bad about US or spit on the flag ect: you got a cussing and or a fight from her. She loves the US as much as she loves herself. I say once your on the path to citezenship you should be able to defend yourself which to me is a basic fundalmental right. ( citezen in training)

• Moderators

Whether you are here with the intent to become a citizen or not, if you have jumped through all of the legal hoops to be here legally, then you should be allowed to carry a gun for your protection. Being born somewhere other than on US soil won't protect you from the crapbags who were born on US soil and prey upon the defenseless.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance, but can you, as a resident alien, purchase a weapon from a dealer, passing a TICs background check?

If so, then I would think it just makes sense that you would be able to carry and use that weapon to defend yourself. If not, then I can see that as the point of restriction.

I would think that answers the "could." As to "should," I'm all for law abiding members of society protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Mac

Please excuse my ignorance, but can you, as a resident alien, purchase a weapon from a dealer, passing a TICs background check?

If so, then I would think it just makes sense that you would be able to carry and use that weapon to defend yourself. If not, then I can see that as the point of restriction.

I would think that answers the "could." As to "should," I'm all for law abiding members of society protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Mac

I passed 2 TIC`s for both of my guns.. I think the question here is how would they know if I was not a bad person in my home country.. because TIC`s is statewide only( I hink) or nationwide.