Memphis renames city parks that honored Confederacy

mcurrier

Memphis renames city parks that honored Confederacy

"The resolution changes the name of Confederate Park to Memphis Park; Jefferson Davis Park to Mississippi River Park; and Nathan Bedford Forrest Park to Health Sciences Park.

The name changes upset those who believe the council is trying to change history by downplaying the significance of the Confederacy's struggle against Union forces. It was applauded by at least one civil rights activist."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/06/memphis-renames-parks-honoring-confederacy/?test=latestnews#ixzz2K8nyEnjp

Haven't you seen any movies? Clearly anyone that fought for the Confederate States was just a spawn of Satan.... Pure evil. Surely the hundreds of thousands of dirt poor farmers who died in battle willingly gave their lives so the wealthy could retain their slaves. Just like every last Union Soldier was concerned only with abolition and was willing to die for it. Isn't that what the war was all about?
  • Like 6

the winners write the history books.  Just wrapping up a few loose ends here, I guess?

I would bet you could ask any 20 year old in the country, of any race, from any state, who exactly was jefferson davis and 1/50 might know.  Ask them who forest was and that becomes 1 / 10000.   Hard to be offended by something you do not even know what is, but somehow, they managed it.

• Like 2

""I don't care if the name is Nathan Bedford Forrest, he's a dead man," Councilman Harold Collins told MyFoxMemphis.com. "We need to be focusing on the living. But except for that, I'm going to vote for this and who knows, we may come back and name the park Nathan Bedford Forrest."

So with that logic we should rename streets named after certain dead men?

• Like 1

I'm surprised Memphis didn't rename the parks after Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Louis Farakhan.

I honestly would never want to go into any of those parks day or night with all the druggies that hang out in them.

the winners write the history books.  Just wrapping up a few loose ends here, I guess?

I would bet you could ask any 20 year old in the country, of any race, from any state, who exactly was jefferson davis and 1/50 might know.  Ask them who forest was and that becomes 1 / 10000.   Hard to be offended by something you do not even know what is, but somehow, they managed it.

I am 26 and I will say if I did not watch the history channel or channel 10 I wouldn't know much about the civil war other than there were slaves and now there aren't. It just wasn't taught in my school.

Different perspective here. I'm not looking at the historic our racial aspect. What I see is another push back by the Memphis city government against the state government. The first was when state legislators decided that they would intervene in the school merger debacle. The city schools surrendered their charter forcing the county to runall of the schools.

This is the second push back. State legislators heard about the proposed changes and planned to introduce a bill preventing such actions. The city of Memphis response was rushed and proactive to ensure that the changes were made prior to the state taking action.

I'm not saying it's right, but I see and understand why it was done. I hear so much about limited government on this site. Well, this happens to be a municipality pushing back against the state trying to tell it (the city of Memphis) how to run it's business.

I'm ducking now before Garufa sees this thread, his being from Memphis and named after a Confederate commander and such like.

It is just pathetic and sad though, changing history via progressive politically "correct" editing of historical import. Very Soviet and Red Chinese like really, making "un-persons" to suit current social majority vogue.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

The problem is Memphis is pretty much not capable of running its own city and Shelby Co Govt is almost just as bad.  We have the highest county property tax in the state of TN and of course put the different town property taxes with our county property tax it is still the highest in TN.  And what do we get for it?  Not a lot in return if you don't get all the freebies Memphis and Shelby have to offer.

Revisionist Suck.

I know people (older generation) that feel the USA has had one more President then is recorded.  They want to consider Jefferson Davis as 17th president right behind Lincoln.  They don't care hat the Confederate States considered themselves a separate country at the time. 

Edited by vontar

These are the same folks how threw a fit about the master/slave configuration on hard disk drives. Jumper's got feelings too!

Cable select, you are the affirmative action of the IT world!

Funny. PC speak also no longer allows referencing "master bedroom" or "master bath".

These are the same folks how threw a fit about the master/slave configuration on hard disk drives. Jumper's got feelings too!

I let my Geek Card lapse some years back -- is that true, drives are not referred to in that way anymore?

- OS

As a born and raised Memphian I'm pretty well pissed about it.  There have been a couple of other events in that city the past month that have really set me off as well as far as my heritage goes, but I'll not go into it.

I'll leave it that and with this...there is no other city in this state I would have preferred to be born or grown up in, but the inmates have taken over the asylum.

• Like 4

History is being rewiten every day, starts in schools, be going on for years.

Before you know it the war that started this great country will be writen out of the school books.

Sad, truly sad.

• Like 1

History is being rewiten every day, starts in schools, be going on for years.

Before you know it the war that started this great country will be writen out of the school books.

Sad, truly sad.

Only if we let it happen, My self,I will carry the for fathers sacrifice to the end !!!

I let my Geek Card lapse some years back -- is that true, drives are not referred to in that way anymore?

- OS

I can't lie and say I've bothered to look it up. I heard it some years back. With today's technology though, the era of jumper settings and dip switches is coming to a close.

• Like 1