AR Mag Debate..

Whats the best AR mag?  Lots of brand names out there. Magpul seems to be a hot item, but why? Steel, stainless, aluminum, poly. All the different followers.. All at different prices. I wanna know whats the best value for the dollar and why? Most of mine are aluminum with Magpul type followers. I also have a few windowed Pmags.. What makes one better than the other? I understand fit as far as function and steel is heavier than aluminum but what makes one better than the other? 

• Like 1
Go to YouTube and search for PMag torture test. Some guys in the sandbox run over a bunch if mags with a Humvee the Pmag is incredibly tough, and feeds everything reliably, and is lightweight. Nothing wrong with the aluminum GI mags, but if I had a choice Pmag any day.

EDIT: Here it is

http://youtu.be/rdesKUSUchA Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced there are any that don't work.

- OS

Bingo! I have them from several different manufacturers, some plastic, some steel, and every last one feeds reliably. I guess it depends on what you want from a magazine, but that's all I'm looking for.

I too prefer PMags because of their durability and the other little features, but I also have plenty of aluminum mil-spec ones.  I usually grab them from Brownell's since their in-house mags seem to be very well made for the price.  Mako Group sells E-Lander mags that are steel magazines made in Israel.  The price seems reasonable, but I have read that some people are having problems with them reliably locking into the lower receiver.  The remedy is to use a Dremel tool to shave a fraction of an inch off of the top of the notch on the mag that catches the mag release.  If I recall correctly, the problem was encountered in specific brand lowers, but I don't remember which brand(s) it was that had the problem.  Overall, the reviews are decent on those mags.

• Like 1
Pmags all the way. For one thing I like the company and their support of the 2ndA. For another their products are fairly priced and quite high quality.

For me with my examples, my GI mags have a hard time feeding the first round off a topped of mag unless I let the bolt slingshot home. The magpulls feed every time, even when I ride the bolt home slowly. The anti tilt followers are a nice feature too, never had a problem with any others but once again the anti tilt seems to follow the philosophy that while your at it you may as well do a good job.

The only negative thing I've heard about pmags is that they recommend you don't leave them loaded longer than 2 years. This isn't a major issue but definitely a small advantage for metal mags.

I like pmags, especially the ones I ordered for $10 with free shipping right before Sandy Hook.

I also like the $10 C Products magazines AIM sells.

The only negative thing I've heard about pmags is that they recommend you don't leave them loaded longer than 2 years. This isn't a major issue but definitely a small advantage for metal mags.

I like pmags, especially the ones I ordered for $10 with free shipping right before Sandy Hook.

I also like the $10 C Products magazines AIM sells.

No longer than 2 years WITHOUT the caps. With the caps... forever.

• Like 2

No longer than 2 years WITHOUT the caps. With the caps... forever.

Didn't realize that. Good to know.

It's too bad they caps are no longer included. I'd like to get my hands on a few of the newest pmags just to compare.

the one that works best for you, myself i well not be driving over any of mine cause there free

Whats the best AR mag?  Lots of brand names out there. Magpul seems to be a hot item, but why? Steel, stainless, aluminum, poly. All the different followers.. All at different prices. I wanna know whats the best value for the dollar and why? Most of mine are aluminum with Magpul type followers. I also have a few windowed Pmags.. What makes one better than the other? I understand fit as far as function and steel is heavier than aluminum but what makes one better than the other? 

Edited by RWF
I have recently switched all my mags to gen 3 Pmags. They are slimmer than the gen 2s and are a little more forgiving with the bolt closed on a fully loaded magazine. I supplied some of the other officers with gen 3 pmags on rifle quals and there wasn't one magazine related problem. They even fit perfectly in a tight DPMS magwell where the gen 2s would get stuck and also in a kydex mag holster that was made for USGI mags. Not to mention they work out of the box with the scar platform as well without having to take a Dremel to them. Edited by alwaysonjohn

I have a variety of AR mags...lots of the older aluminum GI mags, some 18 year old Thermolds, P Mags, and Brownells in house version mags. They all work each and every time, and some have seen some serious use and abuse. My criteria is simple...they gotta work or they are trash...

My current preference is P Mag (quality product and I appreciate their integrity :usa: ) and Brownell's in house 20 round mags (they work and I simply have an affinity for 20 rounders).

Guest MilitiaMan

It boils down to preference.

I prefer pmags any day of the week because of the many reasons you've read above.

I have 31 and counting. Never can have too many.

I too prefer PMags because of their durability and the other little features, but I also have plenty of aluminum mil-spec ones.  I usually grab them from Brownell's since their in-house mags seem to be very well made for the price.  Mako Group sells E-Lander mags that are steel magazines made in Israel.  The price seems reasonable, but I have read that some people are having problems with them reliably locking into the lower receiver.  The remedy is to use a Dremel tool to shave a fraction of an inch off of the top of the notch on the mag that catches the mag release.  If I recall correctly, the problem was encountered in specific brand lowers, but I don't remember which brand(s) it was that had the problem.  Overall, the reviews are decent on those mags.

Mako was very responsive to this issue and made a slight design change to fix this.  E-Landers manufactured > Feb 2013 are modified to correct this issue. I kept up with it because I had an order outstanding with Mako for some mags.  The mags I received, manufactured 3/13, function great in my Daniel Defense and Spikes Tactical rifles.

• Like 1

The best mags I have ever used and prefer are the Troy Battlemags....if you'll notice some of Troys features were copied by Magpul on the Gen 3's

I would gladly trade a pmag for a battlemag any day of the week....if I hadn't already ;-D

what makes the Troy superior? Just curious.

As many have said most all mags work and will serve its purpose if they are maintained and kept clean. I just got an order of 500 thirty rnd from brownells of there metal magazines just today that I had on BO since this craze begun. I had thought of selling a few but until I know we are in the clear ill just sit on them for a bit. I have a couple Pmags and the biggest difference other than weight and material is I have to seat my bullets further into the case in order for them to fit in the magazines.

Corrected to 500 from 5000 Edited by jphillips63

As many have said most all mags work and will serve its purpose if they are maintained and kept clean. I just got an order of 5000 thirty rnd from brownells of there metal magazines just today that I had on BO since this craze begun. I had thought of selling a few but until I know we are in the clear ill just sit on them for a bit. I have a couple Pmags and the biggest difference other than weight and material is I have to seat my bullets further into the case in order for them to fit in the magazines.

5000??!!?? Did they dilever them personally?