EDC reloads?

EDC reloads  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry your reloads?

• No Way
    • Yes JHP
    • Yes lead boolits
    • Yes Other

Carry factory rounds only. There will be enough questions to answer in that situation not adding questions about my ammo to the mix. I carry only hornday critical defense. After researching the issue I feel these will do the job.
  • Like 1

Depends on what I'm carrying. I don't load for a 380, so I carry factory ammo in them. A 9mm is small enough that is seems somewhat difficult to handload. I don't have the desire to try and load anything smaller. Anything else is probably loaded with reloads.

Guest TN.Frank
Once I test a load and see if it's going to be reliable then I see no reason not to carry a handload for EDC as long as you can back up your load with specs from a reputable loading manual. Besides, sometimes it's the only game in town if you're using something in 9x18mm, 7.62x25mm or other "odd ball" cartridge that's hard to get self defense ammo for or that would cost more then it's worth for proper HP self defense loads.
I've been loading since the age of 19, that's almost 33 years now and I've even loaded professionally for a Shooting Range in AZ. so I know what I'm doing. If someone has just started out then it may be a different matter altogether but I trust my handloads as much if not more then a lot of the factory stuff I've seen.

Carry factory rounds only. There will be enough questions to answer in that situation not adding questions about my ammo to the mix. I carry only hornday critical defense. After researching the issue I feel these will do the job.

That's the way  my research has advocated

Edited by chances R
Guest TN.Frank
If you are justified in pulling the trigger ammo won't even enter into it. As long as you go by the book with your handloads you're not doing anything that the factory doesn't do only on a smaller scale so if anything YOUR quality control is better then their's is.

I carry .38 spl reloads in my J Frame. They are the "Safe Stop" / Jim Cirillo loads... I use [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050153227/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-148-grain-plated-double-ended-wadcutter] Rainier 148 gr DEWC[/url] bullets.

I carry factory loaded 9mm, and have the components to handload equivalents if the need arises.

I've seen/heard the arguments pro and con for many years. We each have to make that decision for ourselves.

but...I have to add...when self defense ammo reaches and stays at $2.00-$3.00 a round, then the decision will have been made for me.

Practicing with, and ensuring functional reliability with, your carry ammo is a must. If the ammo you're carrying won't feed and function then you have much more to worry about than whether or not it's factory made.

eta: I didn't vote because my primary option wasn't available and I didn't want to screw up your poll.

Edited by prag
Guest Hound

If you are justified in pulling the trigger ammo won't even enter into it. As long as you go by the book with your handloads you're not doing anything that the factory doesn't do only on a smaller scale so if anything YOUR quality control is better then their's is.

thats been my opinion on the matter.  From my prospective its more about accuracy than greater lethality.  As long as I have been loading that particular set up for a long time and have it clearly labled at home then I dont really see the problem.

This may stir up a hornet's nest; but i think the "defensive ammo" thing is another way to hose the consumer and create a "defensive ammo"  classification that allows the ammo makers (...and other very austitute capitalist types like the Buffalo Bore guys...) to sell what ought to cost $.50 max for $2.00......  A great deal, indeed.   It also gives the Aboobs of the world a job.   This is another proof that america is a great place, and the P. T. Barnum wuz right. 

Food for thought.

reloadin leroy

• Like 2
Guest TN.Frank
Let me give another example. Case in point(pun intended)I currently carry a CZ82 for my EDC/CCW gun. 9x18mm ammo has gotten very hard to find and when you do find it most of what you'll get is FMJ stuff. I've been working on a handload using converted 9x19mm brass and I'm running a 95gr Hornady XTP over 4.2grs of Unique(Hornady 8th Edition, "Max" load for the 9x18mm using that bullet) but I've only ran a few rounds through my gun because I only have a few cases to load so right now I've got my mags full of Silver Bear FMJ stuff because I KNOW it'll run in my gun. Once I get more brass and load and test this handload more and I'm sure it's going to run ok AND I get a velocity check to see how close I'm getting to book velocity(suppose to be 975fps which seems slow to me but what can I do, that's the load I'm given) then I'll load it up and use it for EDC but my testing isn't done yet so it's FMJ for now.
I'd go so far as to say I probably do as much load developing as most major factory ammo places do, that's why once I get a load worked out I'll more then trust it for carry ammo.

Let me give another example. Case in point(pun intended)I currently carry a CZ82 for my EDC/CCW gun. 9x18mm ammo has gotten very hard to find and when you do find it most of what you'll get is FMJ stuff. I've been working on a handload using converted 9x19mm brass and I'm running a 95gr Hornady XTP over 4.2grs of Unique(Hornady 8th Edition, "Max" load for the 9x18mm using that bullet) but I've only ran a few rounds through my gun because I only have a few cases to load so right now I've got my mags full of Silver Bear FMJ stuff because I KNOW it'll run in my gun. Once I get more brass and load and test this handload more and I'm sure it's going to run ok AND I get a velocity check to see how close I'm getting to book velocity(suppose to be 975fps which seems slow to me but what can I do, that's the load I'm given) then I'll load it up and use it for EDC but my testing isn't done yet so it's FMJ for now.
I'd go so far as to say I probably do as much load developing as most major factory ammo places do, that's why once I get a load worked out I'll more then trust it for carry ammo.

Not to hijack but the 9x18 load data has been wimped up over the past decade or so.  These days below 1000 fps is "normal" for even defense ammo in the caliber which is BS.  When I carried mine, in the early 2000s, 1000 to 1100 fps was the listed value on the defense ammo in general.  I will even go out on a limb with a caveat.... I think you could load them to 1200 fps (totally redline here, NO MORE than this) if you used them in 1) an actual makarov pistol or other very high quality firearm (cz should be ok) and 2) put in a slightly stouter recoil spring (many makarov users do this for even normal ammo, to reduce wear and tear on the guns they put in one that is 2-3 pounds stronger).   The ONLY way to get hot mak defense loads is to roll your own.  Buffalo bore if you can find it and afford it, but the other brands are all very weak.

FPS isnt everything.  Below about 2000 fps, you should look at momentum as your source of "damage" from the round, not "energy".   So while you CAN do the above, the round isnt ever going to be "energy based".  FPS still helps, but when you see the difference in momentum from eeking out tiny bit more FPS using red-line handloads.... you might reconsider and stick to a "yellow line" load instead.   The difference isnt worth it.  If you think a 1050ish 9x18 won't do the job, then get a 9mm or 40 or something bigger.

Edited by Jonnin

I didn't answer the poll because there wasn't an option that matched my response.  That is, I currently carry only factory loads in any of my carry guns but would be willing to carry/defend myself with my reloads, if the need arose, once I had tested said reload enough to feel confident in it.  In fact, I plan to load up some rounds to hopefully closely mimic the old FBI load (already have some Hornady LSWCHP bullets) that I will consider to be 'backup' defense loads for my .38/.357 revolvers.

FWIW, Silver Bear also makes a JHP load.  Perhaps even better, Hornady has added 9mm Makarov ammo to their Critical Defense line.  I also have a CZ82 that gets carried, sometimes.  I carried the Silver Bear until I could get ahold of some of the Critical Defense.  The CD ran well in mine so that is what I have in the carry and backup mags, now.  I hear you on Mak ammo being hard to find, though.

Edited by JAB

I have arthritis in my hands and elbows.  My doctor told me to shoot reduced cast loads in my .45.

My 'reduced load' is a 215 gr soft cast bowling pin bullet with a wide meplat going 850 fps over a nice load of WSF or Unique.  Here is a picture of the same bullet made by Magnus Bullets  Co just over the line in AL.

[url=http://s97.photobucket.com/user/jwsoutherland/media/bowlingpinbullet_zps273b56b2.jpg.html]bowlingpinbullet_zps273b56b2.jpg[/URL]

9x18 Mak - I've loaded rounds similar to the Hornady XTP, with a bit more velocity. BTW the 9x18 Silver Bear JHP - nearly identical velocity and penetration in wet paper to the XTP, but the jacket separated from the bullet.

.38 Special FBI Load, FYI - Power Pistol works, I posted in another thread awhile back.

I currently carry Remington Golden Saber in my .357 LCR. I have a couple hundred GS bullets in reserve, and have reloaded close to the same velocity with AA#2 - advertized as a low flash, short barrel powder good for concealed carry applications.

Although currently carrying factory, I would have no problem carrying any of these reloads. Where I've reloaded the same brass, same bullet, you can't tell the difference.

Guest TN.Frank
I have installed an 18lb Wolff recoil spring in the gun, if for no other reason to keep my spent cases in the same zip code when I shoot so I can police em' up for reloading. I totally agree, the 9x18mm round has been neutered by the folks that write the loading manuals. You should be able to get 1050fps to 1100fps out of this cartridge easily with a 95gr bullet. I think it's just a case of CYA on their part because they have no way to control the condition of the surplus handgun that the rounds will be shot through so they stay on the mild side. That being said, even at 950-975fps the XTP expands well enough and should do the job as well as any 380acp +P round on the market.
As far as moving to something more powerful, can't do it because I'm currently unemployed and my funds for firearms are near zero. Plus, with the cash I did get from the sale of my Ruger P95 and 9x19mm loading stuff I've totally retooled to load 9x18mm and gotten into the CZ82 so I'm stuck with that gun and caliber for the foreseeable future, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. I like that little gun and it shoots rather well for me. I just wish I could find a couple extra factory mags at a reasonable price, it sucks only having two mags.