My first 9mm - input wanted

Many of you have owned and shot a lot of different guns. I grew up shooting rifles with my dad but have pretty minimal experience with semi-automatic pistols. I'm looking to purchase my first ever hand gun and have about a $1200 budget. I can go a little over but wouldn't be mad about being under either. Below is a list of what I'm looking at and feel free to include your recommendation and why I should consider it. I do want a full size and it will be used primarily for target shooting and home protection. I have a night planned at Nashville Armory next week to rent a few of theirs plus meet a couple buddies that have the others before making my final decision.

Sig Sauer P226 TacOps - From what I've read, this model is worth the extra over the standard P226 due to the SRT trigger and upgraded sights. It also comes with high capacity mags and 4 of them instead of 2. I have yet to actually hold this one.

Beretta 90Two - Obviously this model has a few upgrades over the 92FS. I have no strong feelings towards or against this one until I actually shoot it. Feel in my hand was also neutral but like the full grip swap options and full metal body.

Smith & Wesson M&P 4.25 - Initially I wasn't real kean on the idea of a composite pistol. I don't like the idea of limited grip change ability BUT that changed a little bit when this was in my hands. This pistol is the best feeling I've gripped to date. I've read somewhere that the Crimson Trace Laser grips are worth it but I'm not familiar with the difference. Seems pretty expensive

Springfield Armory XDm 4.5 - I really like the idea of some of the features of this gun and it was initially my favorite. It is also very comfortable in my hand but the S&W had the slight edge.

Glock 17 - I put this on the list because it was a consideration (and it seems that Glock in general is a big favorite around here) but it was a no go as soon as I held it in my hand. Just didn't feel right at all. Didn't like it, don't want it.

I know the feel of the shot will probably be a huge factor in this but wondering your opinions. Is one better than the other for aftermarket accessories, parts, field stripping and maitenance or reliability? 

Edited by TheBeej418

I'm a polymer fan ... Smart idea going to the range and trying all (or some) of them out.

IMO ... If you want the perfect Carry Conceal/Nightstand -- I'd go with a Springfield XDm 9mm Compact.  You get the best of both worlds.  This is my wife's favorite gun by far - and I believe it can hold 19+1 with the large mag. 

As for me ~ I've gone the Glock route.  :)

Edited by xRUSTYx

Being a man of steel I won't comment on plastics. If you want to target practice a nice Colt in 9MM will normally shoot lights out for you.

Trigger is nice and the pistol will last forever. My old Colt .45 was built in 1917 and still going strong. Metalurgy being what it is today is

much better than it was back then so you can expect a much longer lifespan from a new one. SIghts are very nice on the Colt.

As far as home defense, be aware that 9's will go through doors and walls and that good stuff as well as intruders and pets and can play heck

when you put one through the neighbors window or front door. I wouldn't get too carried away with rail lights and other such stuff, either.

Turn on a light and you just gave the other guy something to shoot at. The other good news is you know your own house. The intruder doesn't.

There are lots of quality 9mm's out there. Unless you just have to have one right now. I'd shoot as many as I could because one of those will just  fit you perfect and do everything you think it should do. Buy that one. New or used.

Browning got it right. The rest are just wanna be's.

Hope this helps.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

you really cant go wrong with any of the guns on that list.  I myself am an M&P man.  Own the pro 9mm, 4.25 inch 9mm and now a shield also in 9mm.  If your looking primarily for a target gun the pro is definitely worth a look.  If they don't have one you can rent send me a PM and i'm sure we can work out a time where you can shoot mine.  one note for the M&P's  an apex trigger system while not absolutely necessary makes a significant difference in shooting the gun.  

The TACOPS is gonna be around the top end of your budget and maybe a little over if bought new, but they are great guns

• Like 1
I was going to say G17 but since you don't like it I will recommend a 1911 with equal enthusiasm. It seems that most of the people who don't like the feel of a Glock are 1911 fans so this could be you. Colt is a very good choice.

I like the Officer sized 1911 for carry but will be getting a full sized for range shooting and home defense.

You said 9mm is your preference but be open to different calibers. I like .45 for carry but own .380, 9mm, .22, .357. They all have their positives and negatives depending on the intended use. I'm actually considering .40 for carry.

But you got it right, it's about how it feels in your hand and how it shoots for you. Everyone is different and you can find 10 different opinions for every feature, caliber, material, etc.

I've had Berettas throughout my military career and they are nice guns. I hadn't seen that 90-Two before, it's interesting and kinda growing on me. I do prefer the 1911 grip though. I like a slim grip.

Have fun at the range, I'm interested to see what a new-to-auto-pistols shooter will think about the different styles.

Scratch the 90-Two, too weird and low density, making parts and aftermarket troublesome.  I've held them in gun shops but know no human being who owns one.

I don't like SRT triggers on 226s

XDM has a high bore axis as does the 226 and I am not sure I can always get a positive grip on the XD's grip safety in a SYA scenario

As both a Glock and M&P armorer and having had who knows how many Glocks and M&Ps - for pleasure at the range I would go with a M&P with a trigger job. 

The Glock is simply a reliable tool, I shoot other guns better, but I don't trust anything more than a Glock. I shoot the Glock good enough for the type of scenario that might involve me.  If you plan on taking head shots at 50M in a hostage situation go for a 226 X-Five Tactical. 

Edited by graycrait
I know its not on your list, but if the Nashville Armory has one try a HK P30/P30L or a P2000. The P30L would make one heck of a HD/range gun. The P30 feels like it was sculpted to my hand. I haven't learned to like striker fired guns yet. Edited by hlb14

Plastic is fantastic! If I could only have one 9mm it would be a Glock 19 but I have several 9s. I really like my CZ-75 SP-01. It's all steel (Steel is ideal) 18 round magazine, night sights, well built.

• Like 1

There's so many excellent pistols out there, it really comes down to what fits your hand and catches your eye. I have polymer, SS steel and blue steel pistols, some are full size, some are compacts. I do have a couple that makes every trip to the range, and others that might go...might stay in the safe. I enjoy them all really to some degree.

Try to get a Browning Highpower in your hands.  They're well made and shoot well.  It's a design that's been around for a long time with good reason.  It works.  And, I think you'll come in under budget.

Guest Averhoeven
Nobody had mentioned a Walther PPQ yet which, in my mind, is the best polymer 9mm out of the box. Very accurate, great reputation (both the gun and the company) and probably the best stock trigger available. It's a little pricier than some of the others, but still well within your budget and then some. Edited by Averhoeven

There have been some really great pistols mentioned here. At worst, some merely very good. Not a bad one in the bunch as far as I'm concerned.

I have Glocks, XD, XDm, Sig, and M&P in the line for 9mm favorites. Don't ask me which, for I won't give the same awnser twice in a row. I like them all for different reasons.

But for me, I tend to pick up the G19 or the XD9c most frequently for carry or odd noises around the house. Which depends on where I happen to be at the time.

As has been said several times before...shoot as many as you can. And pick whichever and whatever feels good to you. If it doesn't feel good you won't carry it. And that's a waste of your time and money.

Guest StorminMormon

For plastic your on to something with the M&P. It's my opinion that it and the GLOCK are equals and it boils down to which one you prefer. The only legitimate knock I see against it (yes, besides the trigger...but for less than 100 bucks that is solved) is the lack of a "midsized model, a la G19. However for your intended purposes that's a non-issue.

As far as a classic "real" metal pistol, there is not much you can say bad about the FN HI Power. (or P35 as the Krauts called it) A more than proven design, with an eighty year track record, and the last design John Moses blessed us with before crossing over. Remove the magazine safety and have the trigger worked over and your golden. That or the CZ75 and your set for 9mm iron.

Edited by StorminMormon

If you are able, and willing, to spend the full $1,200, in my opinion the end all 9mm is the CZ Custom Shadow Target.  I have, and have owned, A LOT of 9mm, but this one is my absolute favorite and I will never part with it.  10 rounds, 10 yards, offhand is no problem to shoot a ragged hole.  The fit and and finish of this CZ is second to none. 

My second choice would be my Springfield XD tactical.  I've done quite a bit of work to mine, but the new XDm 5.25 Competition piece is sweet and very close out of the box to my custom.  

Here, I thought I should post the Shadow Target again just so everyone can drool.... :)

91159_logo1000_0043.jpg 

• Like 3
Plus one on the Hi Power but for someone with little experience with semi autos you should consider another Browning: the BDM has a bunch of safety features good when at the range, for one you can rack it with the safety on and this loads a bullet in the chamber but decocks at the same time, after you finish off a mag you put a loaded one in and press the safety down and does the same thing, you can switch it to double action only too. It has 15 round capacity with a slim frame and nice sights...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Guest tymekeeper

I'm another huge fan of the Browning Hi-power; it has a comfortable grip, fits my hand well and has natural point for me.  I also use a S&W 669 for concealed carry, but at the end of the day I consistantly shoot the Brownings more accurately.  I'm a young 68 years old and prefer all steel.  Anyway, I encourage you to handle and fire the Hi-Power, and judge it for yourself.  I've bought some great used military models at  very reasonable prices, and they shoot as well as my newer commercial models.

If you are able, and willing, to spend the full $1,200, in my opinion the end all 9mm is the CZ Custom Shadow Target.  I have, and have owned, A LOT of 9mm, but this one is my absolute favorite and I will never part with it.  10 rounds, 10 yards, offhand is no problem to shoot a ragged hole.  The fit and and finish of this CZ is second to none. 

My second choice would be my Springfield XD tactical.  I've done quite a bit of work to mine, but the new XDm 5.25 Competition piece is sweet and very close out of the box to my custom.  

Here, I thought I should post the Shadow Target again just so everyone can drool.... :)

91159_logo1000_0043.jpg

I have 2 CZ pistols, and if I should decided to make it 3....this will most certainly be the one. The Shadow is an absolutely georgeous piece of work!