How do you sleep at night?

Guest earlybird

Guest earlybird

It was the only thing I could ask my friend. He borrowed my EAA EZ9 for the weekend to go shooting with his friends. We borrow guns from each other all the time so it was no big deal. He grabbed it and left me one as collateral, plus he was trying to sell it so I asked around work were everyone is a gun nut. Well he brought it back today, supposed to have it back on Monday. I am already pissed! Then I saw the gun, but we will get to that in a second, he did not bring the Streamlight I had mounted to it, forgot all about that until my wife asked me were it was, nor did he bring my 4 factory magazines back. Them things are expensive. He had the nerve to say I only had 1 for it. And didn't even bring it back. A-hole. 

Back to my gun... it looked like he stuck it into a steel jawed vice and cranked down on it, the alloy frame was bent, gouged, grooved and scratched all to hell. Even the plastic grips were broken. The slide was locked up tight, looked like a .380 shell stuck in it... And the slide was dented, banged up, had pieces of it missing on the front, even the front of the barrel was gouged and peened. Looked like he went to town on it with a sledge hammer. His "gunsmith" did exactly that. It was a nightmare...

So I told him he just bought my EZ9. My favorite gun in my case. It had over 4000 rounds through it, and was better than new when he grabbed it. Would shoot about .75" groups at 20 yards. Could put all 4 mags into that hole without trying. God I was about to cry when I saw it, I couldn't even take a picture of it. I was that mad. He asked where his gun was, as he had found a buyer for it. I politely told him nope, you just traded your gun for my gun. And I walked away leaving him dumbfounded. We had an agreement just for this situation. So he signed the "bill of sale" 20 minutes ago.

So now teh replacement I have is a Springfield 1911 A1 "loaded". It has everything you could want on a custom 1911 build. And I hate it. Definitely not a 1911 guy. I like the.45 round, just don't like the 1911. Maybe I can sell it, should be able to get 1100 to 1200 for it, or trade it for a nice USP. No way I can get another EZ9. I'll just be heartbroken over the best one out there :( 

That is my story for today. Don't loan your stuff out unless you are there to watch it, no matter who it is. and if you do, get some kind of agreement in writing to c.y.a.

Thanks for your time. On with the search for a replacement!

He'd be getting an ass whopping first thing. Second thing, what kind of friend was he that you guys had a gun exchange program (though Thank God you did) Hell if your a good enough friend to borrow one of my guns, then your trust worthy enough to bring it back in the same shape.

Btw that 1911 is worth a pretty penny.

And you can pick up a new eaa ez9 here for under $500

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339735888

Though I know thats not the point. Id still be madder than hell.
Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

• Like 1
Guest Darth Maul
I know I piss alot of people off but I don't let anyone shoot my guns. I don't even let people handle my guns nevermind borrow them and take them out of my home. I don't care how petty it sounds but this is how I keep my belongings in the same condition that I have them it. If they get fouled up it's because I did the fouling.

This kind of thing sure has been happening a lot around here lately.

+1

Another story of a gun guy trying to screw over another gun guy. Glad it worked out for the OP besides the aggravation. But more importantly I hope the other guy remembers this to a point he never does it to another "friend".

Friends are one thing, Bros are something else.

If you dont know the diff, you will never understand.

O, and to answer the question, very well.

Edited by RED333

I never loan my guns out, neither my fourwheeler nor my truck.

But a garden tool, or something easily replaced, No problem. Bring it back when you're done.

Thing i was taught by my dad was if you borrow something, bring it back in the same shape as you first borrowed it. Clean it up ( even if it was dirty to begin with) and return it to the same spot as you took it from.

• Like 6
Guest Cami

I never loan my guns out, neither my fourwheeler nor my truck.

But a garden tool, or something easily replaced, No problem. Bring it back when you're done.

Thing i was taught by my dad was if you borrow something, bring it back in the same shape as you first borrowed it. Clean it up ( even if it was dirty to begin with) and return it to the same spot as you took it from.

+100

The last gun I loaned was a Browning A bolt stainless .270. It came back in perfect shape. I opened the hard case to check it out and return it to my safe and was more than a little surprised when I found a round chambered and the safety off. SMH, I have loaned my last gun also. (FYI don't ask for a chainsaw either) I will however loan out my kids, cars, tools etc. I'm "funny" like that as my wife likes to say. Found out she funny too when someone asked to borrow a book from her recently LOL.

I will admit the last gun I borrowed I shot it a lot and returned it dirty. Normally I would have cleaned it but the guy I borrowed it from is just as bad as me for not cleaning guns. If I borrow a gun and it is pristine that is how it will go back but I will not borrow a filthy gun and return it clean. Some people, like me, don't mind a dirty gun as long as it functions.

In my circle of gun nut buddies, I am probably not the friend to have.  I do not lend any guns to anyone.  If I am shooting somewhere with someone that I know, and he wants to try my pistol, a clip or two is not a problem, I am with them, but when he asks to borrow it for a weekend, absolutely not, I don't care what he has for collateral.  

All my life, I have set my self up to the point I never borrow anything and I normally do the same towards others (father and brother the exception).  I have seen others that borrow and lend items, and likely a 1/3 end in a argument, my stuff was damaged, are you ever going to return it, I need $100 and will pay it back, I didn't damage your stuff, etc.  The anguish and unnecessary drama is not worth it.  I would rather to be asked to help with a project using my hands and my tools, to lend tools and have a argument.  I myself have been known to buy expensive tools for a probably a once in a life time job, so I wouldn't have to borrow it from someone, but I always use the justification with my wife as a "just in case" item. 

Amen! This is the second or third post like this.

I haven't seen the others, but... dayum, this one's bad. earlybird, I know it ain't the point, but you did make out like a bandit. Good for you. I hope you find a replacement gun... and friend...

I usually sleep on my right side.  :)  As for loaning guns, I will loan, but it will not be my best one.  I have a couple of :"loaners" for such purposes.  But if you bring it back in bad shape, you won't get another one. 

As for the Springer Loaded edition, that's a great pistol!!!  It's the best pistol in my collection!  It's not a loaner!  You really should give it a good workout before you sell it off.  It will out shoot my Glock 17 if I'm doing my job with both pistols and it's just as reliable.

I don't loan out tools, computers, guns or vehicles. My father inlaw loaned out his truck to a neighbor recently & was a nervous trainwreck for the next 12 hrs because he knew they couldn't replace it. If you want to borrow a book, cd/dvd or cash that's fine. If its not returned at the agreed upon time & in same or better condition you won't get anything else loaned to you.
I'm wary of loaning anything in general because I have learned the hard way that some people are just users & leeches in general. I don't loan anything I can't replace without minimal disruption. They lack consideration, respect and empathy. I don't associate with these drama queens because I'm not like them, don't have the patience for them & inevitably I end up as or more frustrated than the OP. I wouldn't count on dude gaining any wisdom or reflecting upon the transaction with honesty. More than likely he's rationalized how he's the victm and you're overwrought & sensitive. Don't be surprised if he asks to borrow something else. I obviously don't expect you to give but really don't be surprised when he does. That's just how certain people are.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I can tell you really liked your EZ9, but gotta agree...worked out nicely. I'd make that deal. I'd still be pissed off, but you did well.

I have to agree with BigK. You did quite well. There are 5 or 6 EZ9s on Gun Broker right now if your looking to replace it. You could buy 2 for what the Springer is worth.

I don't understand what your friend was doing with that gun to beat it up that bad, or why he would sign over a gun worth twice as much your EZ instead of offering to replace it. I take it he's not the brightest bulb on the string.

As for me loaning a gun to anyone, it's never happened, and it will never will happen.