Why do some hate reloads?

I did a quick search but didn't see anything that answered directly.

I keep hearing different people tell me that they would NEVER run reloads through their gun.

But, none of them have ever told me what was so 'bad' about it.

I noticed a lot of you on this site seem to make your own reloads so thought maybe you could shed some light on the pros/cons.

Would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Steve

You never know what is in the reload..ie..double charge,squib,wrong powder........was the reloader distracted/inattentive while charging the round or just an idiot with cranialrectumitis? You would be putting your life/health in the hands of somebody whose habits are unknown and potentially dangerous. Just my 2 cents......

You will generally here about more problems with gun malfunctions, or even catastrophic failures with the use of reloads.  Things happen.....even with the most experienced, including commercial manufacturers.  It is a numbers game.  Percentage wise, it is seldom one hears of a 'ka-boom' with commercial rounds from the major manufactures.  Even so, if proven, their insurance coverage is extremely better than that of the smaller commercial outfits, and certainly the individual reloader.  But with experience, long-term reloaders make quality ammunition that is as good if not better in some instances than commercial.  But in general, the safe bet is commercial for the majority.

Depends on who reloads them. I have two G19's, one has had about 100 rounds of factory thru it while the other has never had any factory ammo.

Both have over 5,000 rounds thru them.

I have actually had more problems with factory ammo than reloads but I only shoot my own ammo.

• Like 2

I'm a reloader. I can't begin to tell you how many of my reloaded rounds I've fired over the past 25 years. I know I have better than 30,000 of my reloads through a Government Model Colt I have.

Yet I am hesitant to fire someone's reloads unless it's someone I know and trust. Then ? No worries.

That being said, I have blown a Glock 21 with a double charge. One second of focused inattention while reloading is all it took. My fault completely. Lesson learned, failsafe procedures indoctrinated into my process. So far, so good...better than 13 years...

But I garden, I pressure can and water bath can. I can a variety of meats. I have friends that look at me like I have 2 heads when the topic comes up. They are the same folks that think that reloading requires "magical knowledge". You try to educate...

Life has risks. You try to minimize the impacts.

My guns are tools. I take care of them, but I work them. They are tools. They will wear out. And they are replaceable. :2cents:

If you are speaking of commercial reloads then that's another topic.

I have fired many, many Black Hills reloads...mostly 5.56/.223...and wish I could still afford them...or even locate them LOL.

Edited by prag
  • Like 1

I have heard people say that no reloads were shot in a gun when selling a gun or trying to buy a gun. I think that is because those who don't reload think that all reloaders load their ammo super hot and that this wears the guns out. From all the reloaders I have talked to the vast majority are on the other end, that is they find the lightest load that cycles reliably and run with it. I know I personally run stuff on the low end with very few exceptions.

As far as running someone else's reloads I would have to know them very well. I would never buy some guy's reloads at a show or on the internet because they generally do not have the insurance or take the precautions manufacturers do. And if a guns kabooms or a person is injured I suspect you would have a hard time proving it was their reloads and even if you did it would be even harder to get any money out of them.

• Like 3
I hate reloads too.
Typically reloads(be it commercial or private) are done in haste.

I do however shoot 'handloads' exclusively. The difference? Handloads are carefully crafted works of art. Edited by Caster
  • Like 7

I always said I would never reload, however, now I do because the 175g .308 Black Hills I used is impossible to find.

I'm pretty OCD with numbers and mechanical things, thus I will only shoot factory or my own loads. Seems most of the problems I ever heard about were somebody shooting someone else's loads.

Never understood why someone would load a "hot" load.I always start in the middle and go from there till I get good groups.Dont care much about velocity.the crows I shoot with my .223 couldn't tell you how fast or slow the bullets are going when it hits them.lol.
  • Like 1
Caster said it. I (usually) will not shoot anyone else's handloads. The only exception being the 2 or 3 people I trust. I almost exclusively shoot my own handloads. Second choice is factory. Third is trusted handloads.

Will Edited by Clod Stomper
Like others, I trust my reloads with my life. They also tend to be more accurate as time spent ironing out the specific charge and grain to cycle the weapon and either produce a better pattern or light enough to cycle and reduce fatigue.

Never understood why someone would load a "hot" load.I always start in the middle and go from there till I get good groups.Dont care much about velocity.the crows I shoot with my .223 couldn't tell you how fast or slow the bullets are going when it hits them.lol.

Some that shoot 1,000 yard F class depending on altitude/conditions will shoot a hotter load to make sure you are supersonic to the target. 

Never understood why someone would load a "hot" load...

Agreed, but there are certain exceptions. I load .357 Magnum with H110, which suffers from inconsistent ignition if light charges are used. I load just under the maximum. Blue Dot is another powder that works best with a full case. So-so in .357 & .38 - but gave me the smallest SD (11) I've loaded in 9mm with a 130g LRN and a charge into +P territory. YMMV

I started handloading simply because .45-70 is crazy expensive to buy! I can't tell you how bad the flinch was the first time I pulled the trigger on one of my own loads. The stuff going through my mind was unbelievable! Then I got a .458 Win Mag.......

I really wouldn't like to shoot any reloads that I didn't personally roll, especially in a pistol where the difference between perfection & catastrophic failure can be miniscule. 

As far as I'm aware, this isn't such an issue with rifle rounds, but I'd still be leery of shooting something that didn't come in either a factory box or out of my basement.

I shoot my reloads and either of my mentors' since they taught me most of what I know about casting and reloading and we all share obscure molds and equipment. Other than those 2 people and my grandfather's reloads which are dwindling with every trip to the range I don't shoot anyone else's. I don't know that I wouldn't but there is just no need. I keep good inventory of most components and anything I need I'm reasonably self sufficient at loading. (One of my mentors recently retired and now he does almost all of our crew's casting, not that the others of us can't but otherwise he says he gets bored stiff on the days he can't fish.) 

I hate reloads too.
Typically reloads(be it commercial or private) are done in haste.

I do however shoot 'handloads' exclusively. The difference? Handloads are carefully crafted works of art.

That last sentence was genius.