Alternatives to Comcast

I absolutely hate comcast. Worst company Ive ever used for cable and internet. Really don't wanna go satellite so comcast is the only option here.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

High speed internet is like real estate, location, location, location.  I have been happy with comcast for many years but would not want any form of DSL.  I guess I am just in a Good Comcast area.

As far as middle Tennessee is concerned, I'm not aware of any real competition for Comcast. There are other options in many areas around here, but I don't know of any that can compete with the speeds and service. I often hear people complain about Comcast, but I'm going on nearly 12 years with almost no issues.  

High speed internet is like real estate, location, location, location.  I have been happy with comcast for many years but would not want any form of DSL. 

ATT's fastest stuff is "U-verse", which is fiber, not DSL.

- OS

I'm in Mt Juliet and I use Clear Wireless.  My average downloads are 6.5m and 1m up.  I make my living on the internet and this is plenty fast and reliable for me.  I can stream GoToMeeting and HD Netflix all day long without lag.  I'm not an uber gamer anymore but I can still get great latency with the major servers.

Oh yeah, and the bill is $50/month.  We only do HD over the air and Netflix for TV. 

And I don't really want to get into a technology conversation, but once you go over 10 meg service, most servers (websites) offer diminishing return on value because most buy a 10mb burst pipe.  So 10 meg is the max rate you can even download from the remote site.  

Been there, played that game in my own hosting and data center business. 

I guess all I'm saying is just because it says 30 meg doesn't necessarily make it better than my 6.5 meg, and you'll probably be more than happy with the Clear service if all you do is surf the web, watch YouTube, and stream Netflix. 

Speaking of comcast, has anyone received the letter about havjng to pay an HD tech fee on top of the package you already have?

Got that too. And the HD fees are already on the bill in plain sight.

I'm waiting to see if it was just a blanket letter, or they try to stick an additional fee on there and hope I don't notice.

• Administrator

Speaking of comcast, has anyone received the letter about havjng to pay an HD tech fee on top of the package you already have?

Yep.  Call them up and argue.  I'll be good for a reduction in rates for a little while.  We're ditching Comcast as soon as we move.

Speaking of Comcast, let me tell you my recent experience with them.

As some may have seen from earlier threads I posted, I recently purchased a new house, and have been in the process of moving.  During the moving process, I wanted to transfer my cable and upgrade to the faster internet and add phone service as well.  I called Comcast on June 25 to upgrade and transfer my service.  I was told that the install would be performed on the 1st.  Come the 1st, I waited at my house during the proper time and nobody ever showed up.  I was pretty ticked at this point so I called Comcast to see what was going on.  I was told that my appointment time had been changed to the 8th.  Strike one.  I complained that it does not take two weeks to transfer service, and asked why I wasn't informed of the date change.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, and  I was informed that a supervisor was unavailable, but one would call me back shortly.  I never received a call.  Strike two.

Come the next day I had still not receive a call from Comcast, but I did receive a letter in the mail from Comcast stating that because of my credit rating I would be required to put down a deposit or prepay for services.  When I read that letter I was absolutely fuming.  There is no chance in hell Comcast checked my credit.  If they did, they would have seen that my credit was perfect ( I just purchased a relatively nice house and got the lowest possible rate available).  To rub salt in the wound, I had been a Comcast customer for 20 years, and I was actually rewarding them by increasing my service.  Strike three.

At this point I was still begrudgingly continuing with Comcast.  However, I received a call the next day from Comcast demanding that I immediately return all of my equipment.  After everything I had been through at this point, that was strike four.  I hadn't dropped Comcast, but based on a phone call I had with them later, they had dropped me for some inexplicable reason.  When I was told they had mistakenly dropped me, I told them to keep it that way, and then went on a tirade by stating that Comcast employed some absolute morons.

The next day I went by our local Comcast branch to return my equipment.  They were very apologetic and were shocked at how a simple transfer could get so screwed up.  I was told that I should have went by the local branch to begin with, and that you never know who you are going to get on their 888 number.  Anyway, I switched to EPB, which isn't in your area, and I have been on it since Friday.  So far I have been very pleased with everything, and the internet, which is the only thing I am concerned about, is smoking fast.

I never had any problems with Comcast until then, and they do offer some good services.  However, they employ some real chumps too that can totally screw things up.

I'm in Mt Juliet and I use Clear Wireless. My average downloads are 6.5m and 1m up. I make my living on the internet and this is plenty fast and reliable for me. I can stream GoToMeeting and HD Netflix all day long without lag. I'm not an uber gamer anymore but I can still get great latency with the major servers.

Oh yeah, and the bill is $50/month. We only do HD over the air and Netflix for TV.

I agree great way to go avoid AT&T like the plague

TDS has just run fiber into out area.  I have Comcast High Speed & all of the HD upgrades...., the cost of which is now at the level of a nice used car payment.  TDS is almost $100 less so I'm interested in switching. 

Anybody out there using the TDS fiber after having Comcast?

I have TDS Fiber in Mt Juliet. I use them for phone, TV (whole home DVR) and Internet. I stream HD movies on using Apple TV with no problem. My package comes with the 50mb Internet pipe, but I have seen billboards claiming 100mb that I don't want to pay extra for. I believe MJ and LaVergne are the two cities in the area that offer fiber. It's as good or better than any cable I have ever had.

Edit: Be prepared for them to run CAT5 network cables in your home if you choose this service. I have a wall panel in my garage I put the router in to make all the lines in my home hot. Even rooms without a TV. Edited by D3vo