Why can't I like a 45acp

Patton

Hole size and terminal energy notwithstanding, ask a bad guy which one he'd rather be shot with and I'll bet he'll say none of the above every time; including .22.

I don't think you can say that any pistol caliber has guaranteed one shot stopping power. Therefore, my thought is that you should carry whatever caliber or gun you are comfortable enough with to get off multiple shots accurately. Then with as much capacity as you either think you need or can accommodate with your method of carry.
  • Like 1

This has been an interestin thread; with lots of stuff to think about...

I tend to look at the historical and here's what i see....

The 1911 semiauto pistol wuz the replacement for that greatest of indian war killers the colt single action army...  It wuz birthed at a time when the good ole us army needed to upgrade it's handgun arsenal at a time when there were troopers in the army and marine corps who were genuine steely eyed grim reapers who well knew what a handgun wuz for and knew exactly how to use it; and those troopers were in both the officer and enlisted ranks... 

The semiauto pistol wuz "the next new thing"; just as the machine gun wuz at that time; and the army wuz interested in exploring the practicability of a hard use handgun for calvary use (....remember, this wuz the time when the calvary wuz still the king of battle...)...

The military well remembered the poor performance of the 38 caliber pistols in the Philippine insurrection and many of the old time troopers would not give their beloved single action armies up in that best of old time killers, the 45 Colt....  

It's no accident that the military ultimately adopted a semiauto pistol in a 45 caliber; simply because it was a shortened version of the old 45 Colt....  The pistol was a success with men who actually knew about killin (...unlike many of the "so called pistol experts" of today...)... The old timers liked the external hammer and the quick reload of the 1911... The rest, as they say, is history....

The fact is that the 1911 came along at exactly the right time in history... It wasn't a "God Inspired" genius thing; it was the next step in pistol design...  It wuz made in a caliber that wuz a proven killer in the right hands...Simply put, it wuz an updated 45 Colt ALA the old time single action army calvary model from 1873...

The 1911 has reigned supreme on the battlefields and in the hands of the "real steely eyed killers" for over 100 years now... Its only real challengers are the utilitarian plastic pistols made by the pesky Austrians at Glock and the lesser children that are copies of this ground-breaking design... The next classic will be the Glock in whatever flavor ya like.... I tend to think that the 45 ACP is a helluva idea in a Glock; along with the 10 mm; but that's just me...

I'll end this little musing by sayin that the 1911 is a great thing... We've got several of em... I used to carry one... But it's just a "thing" man; as the ole hippy would say.... My only problem with them now; is that they are just too expensive to carry...The next big thing is the Glock; and it's here now...

All this from an old time blue steel and walnut S & W and Colt snob who never saw an N frame smith, a colt single action, or a colt 1911 he didnt like....There aint none of 'em i aint carried... I like 'em all....

Havin said that, all of our blue steel and walnut guns are in honored retirement (...with the exception of a special 629 my 24 year old carries; he just wont give 'em up....), occasonally pulled out to look at an praise the greatness of on warm, sunny days, shown to dear friends and admirers on special occasions...

The "working and carryin" guns that protect the person and the house are the big and little glocks....The others are just collectors pieces from another, greater time and place....

leroy, the 1911 admirer and glock user....

• Like 2

I like the .45acp as a concept.  As far as actually owning/carrying one, meh.  To be truthful, I have always been more of a revolver fan, anyhow and the older I get and the more I carry the more I prefer revolvers and the less I see a need for the high capacity/quick reloading capabilities of a semi-auto in my own, personal sphere.  I am also becoming more and more convinced that, when discussing 9mm vs. 40 S&W vs .45acp with modern, SD ammo getting shot is getting shot and a violent assailant ain't gonna know much difference.  IOW, if a 9mm (or, honestly, even a .380) doesn't convince Mr. Psycho Drug Addict to cease and desist then I doubt a .45 - or anything short of a 12 gauge - is going to do the trick, either.  Now, if I were limited to only old school ball ammo - as is our military - then sure, the larger, slower, heavier .45 round might have some pretty convincing arguments going for it.  As it stands, though, I am not so limited.  Further, even in the current nonsense 9mm ammo is a good bit cheaper.  Having 9mm pistols that function well along with carrying any semiauto less and less combine to make the idea of getting into a more expensive semiauto caliber not very attractive.  I could maybe see getting a .40 just because that is the direction most LEO agencies are going, meaning the ammo is (generally speaking) easier to find, not quite as expensive and possibly has more research going into developing even better ammo.  A .45, though?  Beyond the 'mystique' - which is mostly just legend at this point, IMO - nah.

I honestly think my little .38 +P S&W has plenty of power for my needs as well as plenty of capacity for most of the places I frequent (although I have a couple of higher capacity, semiauto options if I need to go somewhere that the perceived threat level is higher.)  If I feel the need for more power, I'll carry a .357 and if that doesn't bring comfort, I'll skip all those "low powered" rounds like 9mm, .40 S&W, .45acp and 10mm and pick up something I can comfortably carry in .44 Magnum.  Just my :2cents: .

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

If you're not a fan of the 1911, you've GOT to be a fan of one of the other cool firearms that shoot .45acp...Thompson SMG, Criss Vector, or even a HP 4595...

...or 1917 Smith and Wesson.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_0258.jpg.html]IMG_0258.jpg[/URL]

• Like 6

I'm a small guy with small hands. I've never had a 45 that didn't feel too big, too heavy, too thick, or carry too few rounds. Years ago, we had to qualify with a full-size 38 special and it was all I could do to hold it for the weak handed firing.  I have a Colt Commander purchased new in... let's see... 1979?  I never shoot it. Don't like it.

To each his own. If everyone was the same, they'd only sell one model of car, one model of handgun, and one pickup truck.  Instead, we get what works for us and then defend our choice to others... sometimes with a bit too much vigor.

While we're at it, I don't like Glocks either. The angle of the grip is uncomfortable and they are too thick. You'd think they would make the grip smaller and then allow extensions for large and extra large hands. After three generations, someone finally thought of that!   Now, I have a Gen4 G26. Now, if they would just put a manual safety on the darn thing, I'd actually carry it, but I'm not interested in becoming another Glock Leg statistic. It's strictly a retention OWB holster for me with the Glock.

So, let's see where this goes.  :popcorn:

The 1911 and 45 acp have been getting the job done for over 100 years.

Well, if you want to go by that, Luger created the 9mm Luger (aka Parabellum aka 9X19) cartridge in 1902 and 9mm Luger pistols have been around since then.  Meanwhile, JMB created the .45acp and the gun to fire it in 1904 so not only has the 9mm also been getting the job done for over 100 years, it and pistols to fire it have been around even longer than the .45acp and 1911.

Also, it is said that Browning, himself, felt that his 9mm Hi-Power was what the 1911 should have been.  Apparently, it was the gun he wanted to create if the government had left him alone.  It is said that he thought it was a superior pistol and chambering.  Just sayin' :yuck: .

NOTE:  Honestly, the above is really just a little good natured ribbing.  I believe that one is as good as the other for the purposes of personal defense with modern defense ammo.  I just get a kick out of pointing out that 9mm is actually an older 'tradition' than .45.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

If you're not a fan of the 1911, you've GOT to be a fan of one of the other cool firearms that shoot .45acp...Thompson SMG, Criss Vector, or even a HP 4595...

Not to be purposefully argumentative but I'd take an MP-5 over all those.

I've shot a Thompson quite a bit. It's fairly controllable but heavy and overly complicated to machine and I've always hated how the magazines swap out.

Well, if you want to go by that, Luger created the 9mm Luger (aka Parabellum aka 9X19) cartridge in 1902 and 9mm Luger pistols have been around since then.  Meanwhile, JMB created the .45acp and the gun to fire it in 1904 so not only has the 9mm also been getting the job done for over 100 years, it and pistols to fire it have been around even longer than the .45acp and 1911.

Also, it is said that Browning, himself, felt that his 9mm Hi-Power was what the 1911 should have been.  Apparently, it was the gun he wanted to create if the government had left him alone.  It is said that he thought it was a superior pistol and chambering.  Just sayin' :yuck: .

NOTE:  Honestly, the above is really just a little good natured ribbing.  I believe that one is as good as the other for the purposes of personal defense with modern defense ammo.  I just get a kick out of pointing out that 9mm is actually an older 'tradition' than .45.

I solved the issue this week.  I got a 9mm 1911.

I have more 9mm than 45acp by far I like 45 just not a fan of the 1911. To much trouble to tear down and I have never owned one that did not jam up. I wanted to like them went through several some better than others. But just could not like them no matter how much I tried. I do own a couple glocks that sling bricks though.

Jason

I have more 9mm than 45acp by far I like 45 just not a fan of the 1911. To much trouble to tear down and I have never owned one that did not jam up. I wanted to like them went through several some better than others. But just could not like them no matter how much I tried. I do own a couple glocks that sling bricks though.

Jason

I have over a dozen 1911 pistols and none of them have ever had a problem.