Anti gun converstion

rugerla1

I've had multiple conversations with a co-worker (none initiated by me after the 1st one) and he is one of those guys that says "I'm ex military and for gun rights but in the same breath says nobody needs high cap "clips", full auto, etc. Which in short means he is okay with whatever the news tells us that the government says is okay for us to have. ANYWAY....

He walked up the other day and we talked for a second about work and then "high cap clips" and EBR's. I know where he stands and he definitely knows where I stand, which makes these discussions null and void. But I just had to share a couple of bright statements. I asked him why he thought it was okay for everyone in CT to register what they have and for the law abiding citizens of New Jersey to surrender certain "evil" weapons. Since none of the gang members where registering illegal weapons or surrendering anything and they have plenty of high cap mags and EBR's. He said, and get ready for this, "Well those gang members know better than to use them" My jaw dropped! I said, you do understand most people carry a weapon legally because of idiots that carry illegally and DO use them. I said "Do you ever listen to the news about robberies, home invasions, or murders that happen every single day. He quickly turned to these mass murders. I told him that they are horrendous but the aforementioned crimes happen every day and not by the people who are constantly having their rights attacked while criminals laugh at new legislation. He claimed that the high cap clips didn't give people time to hide or run away. It was only because of the high cap clips that so many people got killed. I laughed and said, "No, it was because an idiot had made a decision to kill people. That's the reason so many people got killed."

When he brought up about mags and AR15's I told him it was not for him or anyone to decide what I had or anyone else who bites their tongues, and lives by the laws every day. I also asked him what good it would do for all of us to have to live by the law (since we already are) if the criminals continue to disobey old and new laws. He tried going back to mass murders. He really thinks that it will fix something. As I said earlier, it does no good to explain it, because he blames it on Republicans for not wanting to sit down and talk about sensible gun control. Even though there are enough laws now, that if obeyed, would decrease it almost completely. 

Just imagine if starting tomorrow nobody, robbed, killed, raped, or stole from anyone. This change would have nothing to do with what weapons you or I have in our houses or on our person. Evil has and always will be here. But people that think we should just let evil people do what they will while we obey the law are delusional.

One previous conversation I brought up gangs in all of the cities with the strictest gun laws and how they do what they want regardless of the law. He said "Yeah, but the police have a hold on them. The gangs are in certain areas and they know what they can't do". I literally busted out laughing and said "So, you think I should not have certain weapons but as long as the gangs stay inside the ghetto, they should be able to do as they wish?"

Good Lord help us all!

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 4

Sounds like the kind of guy who, if SHTF, would want to be in the same house as your with the guns ...

... if it were me, I'd kick him to the curb and let him fend for himself, out with the gangs who know their boundaries.

Agreed. If we were only allowed to have what an administration, especially the current one, wanted us to have, it would be very minimal if not non existent. The thing is once our rights are taken away for anything, it's hard to get back. Him telling me that "I'm a gun owner and will fight if they every say we can't have guns because the constitution says we can have them." But he's fighting himself in arguments with that line. Making fun of preppers because they think they can fight off the government is also a commen thing he says. Hell, he might as well just say, "I will do what ever the government tells me." That's being a slave instead of living by the old thought that the government works for us! I don't know brother, I just don't get it.

• Like 1

You have more patience than I.

It's not easy, I'm in management and he's not, so I have to be careful what I say because I have no idea how it may get turned around when he repeats it. That's why I never bring it up. I'm not the only one who has went round and round with him on this.

• Like 1

I've had multiple conversations with a co-worker (none initiated by me after the 1st one) and he is one of those guys that says "I'm ex military and for gun rights but in the same breath says nobody needs high cap "clips", full auto, etc. Which in short means he is okay with whatever the news tells us that the government says is okay for us to have. ANYWAY....

This is where the conversations usually end with me.  A vet, who knows that I am a vet, saying some line of crap like this and me telling them that they have forgotten their oath of enlistment.

• Like 3

At least you tried. Maybe you planted a seed. Sometimes that seed will grow.  I asked my son-in-law what he was going to do when someone breaks down his door and he doesn't have a gun.  I have taken him shooting twice and told him that I would GIVE him a Glock 19. He's afraid my grandchildren will shoot themselves with it.  It makes me want to scream!

Edited by Will Carry
The guy you work with is the majority; we are the minority. So I don’t know why this would surprise anyone.

I only have one rifle that uses a clip and it only holds eight rounds, where do I get these high capacity clips?
I have to say I'm bot surprised at this guy - we have plenty of "firearm enthusiasts" who are just fine if the only allowable firearms were O/U shotguns or muzzle loaders or bolt action rifles (that support whatever sport or hunting they are into).

Sometimes conversations with such as these can be fruitful but not often; usually it's just best to write them off to their idiocy.
  • Like 1

After Newtown last year, my FIL made the comment it didn't matter to him if they banned "assault rifles". I said, well, it should, they get those guns this time, next time they may want to come after your shotgun and rifle. He didn' reply, but I think I at least made him think about what he had said.

• Like 1

Through my own stupidity I learned not to bring up the issue, nor to open my mouth if someone else does. I'm through trying to debate imbeciles, even the ones in my own family.

Same here, that's why I stopped talking about anything gun/hunting related just to avoid the subject coming up. I mean hell, some people like sushi, some don't, but I don't see pro-sushi people arguing with anti-sushi people! If someone wants to let themselves and their families be victims, that's fine, your choice. But don't worry about me not wanting to stand their and watch someone break in my house and rape or kill someone in my family while I wish I could call the police but can't because $&^#&*%! Candy Crush ran my cell phone battery down!! :rant:

• Like 1

After Newtown last year, my FIL made the comment it didn't matter to him if they banned "assault rifles". I said, well, it should, they get those guns this time, next time they may want to come after your shotgun and rifle. He didn' reply, but I think I at least made him think about what he had said.

I understand. Mine has said in the past that all private sales should be stopped, or at least made to require a full FFL procedure and transfer for both parties.

I work with several gun owning liberals. They drive me nuts so I've learned to just avoid speaking to them. 

One guy(who sadly, is a fellow Tennessean) tried to convince me Obama never tried to pass any gun control after sandy hook.  :wall:       He finally admitted he hadn't watched the news in months.

I have no patience for ignorance. 

• Like 1

I work with several gun owning liberals. They drive me nuts so I've learned to just avoid speaking to them. 

One guy(who sadly, is a fellow Tennessean) tried to convince me Obama never tried to pass any gun control after sandy hook.  :wall:       He finally admitted he hadn't watched the news in months.

I have no patience for ignorance. 

If it weren't so serious for the future of this country, it's be comical when people vote for someone like Obama and then don't watch what they do. Why the hell did you vote if you're just going to imagine he's going to follow through on his campaign????