So you want to see a picture of some of the Walmart problem?

Same here except that I never really shopped Walmart for ammo in the first place. My time is far to valuable to waste it running around from store to store hoping to find what amounts to table scraps for ammo; I search the internet for good deals on ammo and when I find it I buy as much as I can reasonably afford to buy no matter if I need it or not. While I don't consider myself a "hoarder" I've generally got 1K to 4K of .22LR, 9MM, 44ACP, 5.56 & 7.62 on hand at any time; I've not suffered through this ammo shortage by any means and neither has my close family members either....

If the guy in the picture labeled as the hoarder only has 4K squirreled away then he is not doing a very good job of it... LOL

I think most of us are keeping big stocks these days, thanks to the war on guns. Remember when we used to just pick up a couple of boxes on the way to the range? With the entire shooting community rat holing ammo, it's no wonder there's still a shortage.

Obama and his ilk taught us well. Our rights are threatened, every time one of those assholes gets elected.

• Like 6

You should send that photo to corporate so they can see that used chairs are being sold as new. That should get someone's ass chewed.

Done. The picture and this whole thread is a URL in an e-mail at corporate. Step and repeat. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Squeak on!

• Like 3

she told me there were regulars there every time she set out the new stock and that she made sure she took her time getting it out, making them wait as long as possible...

Ask her just how is it these "regulars" always know when to be there "every time she sets out new stock".

If Obama or the Feds are the reason for the 22lr shortage it would be because they know almost every house in America has some type of 22 caliber gun in their home if they own a gun period so that would be the ammo they would most want to make hard to find is just my guess............jmho

Out of curiosity I decided to go to our local (Columbia) Walmart and strike up a conversation. The lady I talked to today said that she works the gun counter most Saturdays, Sundays, and a couple of days through the week. She said that the days she works it she won't put all the ammo out in the mornings, she'll half it so they have some to put out in the evenings. She seemed really frustrated with "the same old faces" and with those same faces calling everyday. She said that all she'll ever tell anyone when they ask what time the ammo gets put on the shelf is "sometime between 7 and 3:30". Now she may be best friends with one of the scalpers and lying to my face, but she seemed honest about it. Also, I'm not sure about people that work the gun counter the other days

If I were the manager at Walmart you can bet I would make some folks mad real quick. I would go back when the ammo went out and when the guys got up out of the chairs to get the ammo they would also be charged for the chair and I would send it home with them. You sit in it over 30 seconds you bought it. I think that might send them a message that they can either stand or by a new chair every time they bought ammo.................jmho

• Like 2

I just got back from my local Walmart and a sign on the ammo case (which was just about empty) says, "For the fairness of all our customers, ammunition purchases are limited to two boxes per person per day."

Well, I can't protest that I guess!

Dave

• Like 1

I have seen the guy in the black in line at the Acadmy here in Knoxville. I am positive it was him because he offered me $5 to get a box of 22 for him(it was a couple mo back). It was the only time i stood in line for ammo. He basically told me that I could make some good money reselling ammo. I made sure everyone in line heard me tell him that I thought people that bought ammo to resell was the problem with the ammo shortage. I ruffled some feathers that day. Thanks for posting the pic!

• Like 1

Considering that the bulk of this discussion is about rim-fire ammo has anyone else heard/read about one of the reasons is a shortage of one of the ingredients needed to make the primer itself? I seem to recall it was some sort of mercury _____ _____ chemical that is only used in the rim-fire primer not center-fire primers. This would at least HELP explain why other ammo has nearly returned to normal but .22LR is still hard to find.... 

I just got back from my local Walmart and a sign on the ammo case (which was just about empty) says, "For the fairness of all our customers, ammunition purchases are limited to two boxes per person per day."

Well, I can't protest that I guess!

Dave

Prob still is, two boxes of bulk are worth around $40-60 in profit to the ammo campers. Far as I know, all Walmarts have had at most a 3 box limit for about a year or so, hasn't helped at all.

- OS

• Like 2

I didn't buy ammo at Walmart before the idiocy set in and I don't buy it now nor will I in the future.

If people have time to sit around and wait for it and others are stupid enough to pay far more per round than it is actually worth I say that's there problem and prerogative....seems stupid on many levels to me but whatever.

• Like 3

My local Wal-Mart unloads the ammo every night around 1900. I'll usually pay them a visit at that time about twice a week because I know it's my best shot of finding ammo before it's gone. 

Sometimes there is a line of people doing the same thing as these guys but after talking to them I don't believe they are reselling it. They are all simply doing the same thing I am.

I don't know if this will upset some but it's the situation we're faced with at the moment. 

As crazy as this sounds, maybe what they need to do is make it a lottery system.  Essentially so everyone has a fair chance, have it at 6:30 or 7:00 at night when most people can make it and then give out numbers.  Pull random numbers until the ammo is gone.  This way people who show up 2 hours ahead of time because they have nothing better to do can't monopolize the purchases.  I hate that it has to come to that, but that is the only way I can think to make it truly fair.  

Luckily I stocked up a long time ago and just haven't been shooting as much to keep supply up, but for those with none, that would seem to be fair.  I suspect the resellers who weren't guaranteed ammo wouldn't show up as much.

It would probably be a nightmare for Wal-Mart to administer so I doubt it would ever be done, but we can wish.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I had a chance to zero a 10 year old kids 10/22 today. All the kid had was 15 rounds of ammo so I was doing what I could without waste. Telling the guy shooting beside about how low on ammo I was getting he stated that he had plenty. I then asked, "how in the world do you have all that 22lr." His reply, "my brother works at Walmart and put it under the counter for me."  :down:

I had a chance to zero a 10 year old kids 10/22 today. All the kid had was 15 rounds of ammo so I was doing what I could without waste. Telling the guy shooting beside about how low on ammo I was getting he stated that he had plenty. I then asked, "how in the world do you have all that 22lr." His reply, "my brother works at Walmart and put it under the counter for me."  :down:

I suspect he said that without a single bit of remorse.