Frog Lube killed my guns!

Went to TAC with my wife this morning to shoot her little Sig P238.  Set up on lane 9, she loaded a mag, lined up to shoot and "click".  That's not the sound I was expecting :).  I got the person out front and we looked at the gun, took it apart, re-loaded and "click".  He said the firing pin was sticking, so came home and disassembled and cleaned/oiled.  I had read that Frog Lube was causing this type of failure, so I quit using it. I had previously thought the stuff was great, but after reading several similar stories I decided to check the rest of my guns, starting with my Maverick 88 pump shotgun...it would not even pump!  Long story short, I spent the better part of the day fixing seven firearms.  The shotgun was like somebody poured pancake syrup in there and let it dry.  Same with a revolver.  I don't want any of my friends on here to get hurt or mess up their guns...I threw all of that FL stuff in the garbage and went back to Hoppes.  Your results my vary, and yes I followed the instructions, and yes I know not to put stuff in with the firing pin.  I know, I know.  This is free advice so take it for what it's worth...but please check your firearms if you have ever used Frog Lube on them.  Mine had set for about six months in a safe so I'm sure that didn't help.  I wish you guys all the best!  B

Edited by Bassoneer

This is common with many lubricants, especially if left to sit for an extended period of time. It's more prone to happen in striker-fired guns.The lube will gel or gum up, if you will. Dust and lint being attracted by the lube doesn't help matters. I NEVER lube my firing pin. I clean it, and that's it. 

Edited by TripleDigitRide
I've used fl on pistol slides w no issue, same for black rifles. I never did the heat and lube thing but for the most part everything I lubed has been fine. I've also had good luck with Italian gun grease products. When the fl runs out I won't buy anymore. It's not worth the price. I'll stick with IGG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

I began using a product called Fluid Film back many moons ago on the advice of an old man because I was having issues with my high end bait casting fishing reels when it was cold outside. They were very sluggish and short casting. I cleaned my reels and applied the Fluid Film and I don't care how cold it is the reels performed perfect. I ask him about using it on firearms and he said he has been using it on his for many years with zero issues so i cleaned all my firearms and lubed them with Fluid Film and they have operated flawlessly every time............................jmho.

Frog lube does not play well with petro based solvents and lubes. Read a few other reports of it pasting with oil.

Yeah, that's what I've gleaned from reading. Best to not even use any solvent to clean at all, and don't decide to lube it with anything else. It's sort of like Microsoft for guns, no open source involvement allowed. ;)

- OS

Guest TresOsos

Mix 12oz of Mobil 1 0w - 30 with 4oz of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Its all you will need and you can make a bunch of it faily cheaply, if you try it, you will be very surprised how well it works.

what is wrong with plain old regular been used forever axle grease?

That said if I grease a gun, it is with Polaris Marine grade grease.  Same as I use on the quads. 

Never had a problem with it on any gun.  

Don't over think things.  

and so people know, grease a gun where it slides back and forth, if it pivots or spins use oil.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

Wow!  Thanks for all the replies!  I agree, this Frog Lube stuff was sort of new, and it sounds like others have experienced similar results.  I felt like we followed the directions very closely and left everything "dry", but it must ooze out of the metal or something.  I know when I first started using it, we would go to the range and it would get all wet when it heated up (even though it started dry).  After this weekend I got rid of it.  It says a lot that Hoppes and other such stuff has been around a long time.  I know there are tricks with nickel plated guns, but I mostly have stainless and blued guns...I'm going old school.  I am thinking of trying some synthetic motor oil for a lubricant by putting it into a small oil can.  I have some Hoppes in a nasal sprayer that I use to squirt it into the barrels and cylinders of revolvers and let it sit...sort of mists the material into those openings.  It works, and even though my wife doesn't care for the smell of Hoppes, I do.  So, I guess I'll be back to cleaning the guns out on the porch by myself.  Best wishes, B

My wife thinks Hoppes is my aftershave. I'm Blessed...she actually likes it. :pleased:

I've used RemOil for longer than I can remember and keep BreakFree in my range bag...they work for me.

I'll have to read up on that Astroglide stuff Brasil...I think I saw some in your range bag yesterday... :cool:

• Like 1

miltec, clp, lsa, motor oil, 3 in1 machine oil, hoppies #9, and grease is what i use the most.   but with some oils to much can cause problems over time.  when i take a gun out of the safe for a range play day i break it down and give it a wipe out and new oil before shooting.