TGO golfers?

So who else in the house is a golfer? I've been playing on and off since playing on my school team, but have gotten more into it the last couple of years. I've been fortunate enough to play in some "work tournaments" on some really nice courses. I play in about three tournaments a summer. The nicest of them is at RTJ in Prattville, AL. The foundation that does that tournament does a "premium gift" for all golfers. In 2011 it was Oakley sunglasses, 2012 it was Adidas golf shoes, and last year it was Nike golf jackets. So you can see why I like going there lol. There is a RTJ in Huntsville too, Hampton Cove, but I've never played there. I'd love to do a RTJ trail run one summer. The nicest course I've been on would have to be Empire Lakes in Rancho Cucamonga, CA a few years ago. I've played on Vandy's Legends Course a couple times as well. Some of my favorite local course's around Chattanooga are Moccasin Bend, Montlake, and Hidden Valley.

I prefer Callaway clubs, with the exception of cleveland wedges, and an odyssey putter. I almost pulled the trigger on a Scotty Cameron putter this year, but decided on a new driver instead. 

Surely I'm not the only dedicated golfer on the board, so lets talk golf a bit. Whats your favorite courses? Nicest course you've played? Whats in the bag? 

:wave:

I got serious about playing while in high school as well.  I had no life so I had lots of time to practice and got pretty good at it.  I've played most of the courses in the Chattanooga area as that's where I grew up.  Did the junior tournament circuit for a couple years, but I play golf because its fun.  Getting super competitive about it kinda sucks the fun out of it for me. 

I'm not much of a gear hound, most of my clubs are knock-offs and they work fine for me.  The 4 wood I use is the first metal wood I ever got (yes, I'm old enough to have used real wooden woods) and I still hit it well.  Even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend the big $$ on all the new stuff.  Like musical instruments, it ain't the stick it's the person holding it.  I will admit to splurging on a Taylor Made driver.  I wanted to join the 20th century and upgrade the 25 year old one I had.  I paid $50 for it used.  :)

• Like 1
I play redneck golf. I have a buddy that works at a golf course, and he gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of ratty old golf balls. I take them out and shoot 'em. Pretty challenging at 10-15 yards with a pistol, just plain fun with rifles further out! Large, flat nosed bullets (44mag, etc) really send 'em flying when you hit 'em square on!!
  • Like 3

Used to be a golf whore

Somehow my hobby turned into my career and then after years and years I came to dislike my job,  Now I don't know the last time I have seen my golf clubs.

IIRC my last set of irons were Cleveland 588P's and Cleveland wedges,  My driver was a Boom Boom and I always was fond of a Ping Anser putter.

Favorite course for me so far is The President's Reserve at the Hermitage Golf Course. I actually laid down on the first tee box, it was like carpet. Since child number 2, I haven't been able to get my game around this year. I normally played two or three times a month. So far this year I've put three painful rounds down. Had no issue firing a mid 70's round, it's now crept up to low/mid 80's with my range time completely gone.
Right now I've got:
Titleiest 910D2, Diamana Kai'li stiff @ 9.5 degree
Titleiest 909F3, Aldila VooDoo stiff @ 13 degree
Cleveland TA1 blades, S300 stiff (2001 vintage)
Titleiest Vokey wedges
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 ProPlatinum (2001) cut down to 34"
I collected some Cameron's and head covers back when I was working, but haven't bought one since 2005 or so.
  • Like 1

We are fortunate to have a lot of nice courses in Middle TN.  My favorite is probably Greystone, but I also like President's Reserve.  The new course in Spring Hill is pretty decent as well.

Right now I am using Nike Slingshots, Vokey Wedges, and a Nike putter.  Had Titleist 990's before that.

I don't play enough now to worry about being good, but I still like to get out every now and again.

• Like 1
I love to play, but I'm still learning. Took some lessons and I have improved but still my game needs lots of work. I'm not good enough to have traveled too much for golf. I'm always up for a round if anyone ever wants to play with a hack like me. Edited by Lumber_Jack

I love to hack at it, but I don't have the time or inclination to dedicate to becoming good at it. I measure success by the number of balls I lose and the number of times my ball is used during best ball play. I played frequently when I was a cop working the evening shift. Back then I could drive the ball 300 yards in the air, but today after 2 back surgeries and a couple of decades later I'm lucky to get 300 on the ground.

I have a set of Taylor Made Burners and a Cleveland wedge, but I just won a Nike hybrid a couple of weeks ago that I've yet to try.

• Like 2
LJ just let me know when your schedule allows it. Hidden valley golf course is just a 10 minute ride from South Pittsburg. Glad to see so many golfers on the board! Peejman i cant hate as my first set of clubs included real wood woods and driver! Whoever said it was right, there are a lot of nice courses in middle TN! Especially in the crossville area. Has anybody played Fall Creek Falls since they reworked the course back in the spring?
  • Like 1

LJ just let me know when your schedule allows it. Hidden valley golf course is just a 10 minute ride from South Pittsburg. Glad to see so many golfers on the board! Peejman i cant hate as my first set of clubs included real wood woods and driver! Whoever said it was right, there are a lot of nice courses in middle TN! Especially in the crossville area. Has anybody played Fall Creek Falls since they reworked the course back in the spring?

I played Fall Creek Falls in mid-June, and the fairway on 9, (I think that's the one that runs along the road into the course), is absolutely terrible. Cart path only, and you're lucky if your ball stops on any grass.

Edited by SWJewellTN
[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1167305" timestamp="1405023080"]I played Fall Creek Falls in mid-June, and the fairway on 9, (I think that's the one that runs along the road into the course), is absolutely terrible. Cart path only, and you're lucky if your ball stops on any grass.[/quote] Yikes. That hole has always been like that to an extent, but not that bad. We went up to play there back in March and they had the course closed and heavy equipment all over the place. Im curious to get back up there and see what they changed.
I was a founding member at Five Oaks in Lebanon, but found I played less and less as the kids got older, and i got into guns, so i discontinued the membership a couple years ago. Its a great course - I miss taking my daughters out for a couple of holes in the afternoon, but its impossible to justify the cost.

I hit a golf ball the other day, with a broken shovel handle, went about 200 yrds, baseball style.

I use golf balls to get my chickens to lay in the nest box, that is about all the golf I play.

Sorry for dumping on the thread, I will go back to my corner now.

• Like 1
[quote name="RED333" post="1167406" timestamp="1405041110"]I hit a golf ball the other day, with a broken shovel handle, went about 200 yrds, baseball style. I use golf balls to get my chickens to lay in the nest box, that is about all the golf I play. Sorry for dumping on the thread, I will go back to my corner now.[/quote] And stay there!!!! Lol Anybody watching the john deere classic?

I rate golf ahead of being whipped with a rubber hose, but not by much ...

This is NOT directed at anyone on TGO!!!!!!

My son once asked me why I didn't play golf. The best answer I could think of off the cuff was that although not everyone I know who plays golf is a a-hole, EVERY a-hole I know plays golf.

They seem to be quite concentrated on our local golf course. It is a great place to avoid. I have no idea if that is standard everywhere.

Edited by gregintenn

Golf?

What is that?

Seriously, i have played it three times and i'm not good enough playing it so I stopped playing it all together.

I prefer putt-putt ( as geometry is my strength).

I figure we all need a stress release from work other than going to the range and shooting something.

Mine is Kayaking, Biking, and Atving.

I swung my first club as a teenager sneaking onto the local golf course with some friends to play two holes before closing.  I had a few clubs I got at a yard sale and carried them in a baseball bag since I didn't have a full set of clubs with a bag.  I've loved golf ever since.  I've just never had the time for it.

Played some in the Army, but never anything consistent.  Working as a contractor overseas it was a non-starter.  I took Beginning Golf as a PE elective last month through MTSU.  Four days a week at the practice area at Old Fort Golf Course with a few days at the Go USA Fun Park driving range.  I saw decent improvement in practice, but I was never able to get in on the side games of nine holes some in the class organized with other class commitments taking up my time.  It's been a long time since I was able to get in a full round, or even nine holes.

It's very enjoyable and good exercise if you walk the course.  Though I do use the push carts for my bag instead of carrying them when I walk.  If I had the time, money and enough days under 75-80 degrees, I'd be out on the golf course all a good bit.

[quote name="Mike.357" post="1167789" timestamp="1405139383"]it is very easy to get from 150 to 99. From 99 to 79 is hard real hard. From 79 to 69 is why there are very few people playing on TV[/quote] Amen to that! My best round ever is a 92 so i still have yet to dip into the 80's. Soon though, I hope. And Lumberjacks right, when you get on a nice well kept course out in the middle of nowhere, and there is still dew on the ground, perfect temp, nice scenery etc, its a great feeling. No phones, buildings, cars, car horns, sirens etc. A very nice reprieve.