TWD Season 5

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the comments here on the gay kiss scene. I used to be person who had the attitude that homosexuality and transgender people have some sort of screw loose and chose to live a sinful life. It was how I was raised and that's the primary way people come to develop their worldview. As I grew older, had more life experiences and education, I came to question what I now see as a tired old belief system regarding LGBTQ issues. I figured out that people are people and we don't "choose" how we view our personal identity or sexual preferences. I learned that the simplisirc and literal interpretation of a selectively chosen Bible verse did not fit with the rest of what I read in the New Tesrament, which are the texts that define Christians. I met people, worked with people, and have had students who identified as LGBTQ and virtually all had to deal with the intolerance and stigmatization cast at them, most times backed up with some proof-texting from the Old Testament.

Then I realized the absurdity of it all. The idea that I was a cop, have a graduate degree who teaches and does research, shoot guns, load ammo, do leather work, woodwork, can fix my own car, defend my own family, have a wife and two kids, a Christian, etc., but then realize there are people who would discount all of that and treat me as less of a person should I identify myself with a label other than heterosexual male.

Frankly I'm glad the scene was there because it obviously brings this issue into the public discourse where it can be discussed and changed. Like one comment I read online said, "Wow. There are gays in zombie apocalypse just like in the real world."

On that note, I would encourage you to consider supporting some upcoming legislation that seeks to add gender identity to the Tennessee Human Rights Act. Seems if we can support equal rights for gun owners we can support equal rights for people in general.
  • Like 2

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the comments here on the gay kiss scene. I used to be person who had the attitude that homosexuality and transgender people have some sort of screw loose and chose to live a sinful life. It was how I was raised and that's the primary way people come to develop their worldview. As I grew older, had more life experiences and education, I came to question what I now see as a tired old belief system regarding LGBTQ issues. I figured out that people are people and we don't "choose" how we view our personal identity or sexual preferences. I learned that the simplisirc and literal interpretation of a selectively chosen Bible verse did not fit with the rest of what I read in the New Tesrament, which are the texts that define Christians. I met people, worked with people, and have had students who identified as LGBTQ and virtually all had to deal with the intolerance and stigmatization cast at them, most times backed up with some proof-texting from the Old Testament.

Then I realized the absurdity of it all. The idea that I was a cop, have a graduate degree who teaches and does research, shoot guns, load ammo, do leather work, woodwork, can fix my own car, defend my own family, have a wife and two kids, a Christian, etc., but then realize there are people who would discount all of that and treat me as less of a person should I identify myself with a label other than heterosexual male.

Frankly I'm glad the scene was there because it obviously brings this issue into the public discourse where it can be discussed and changed. Like one comment I read online said, "Wow. There are gays in zombie apocalypse just like in the real world."

On that note, I would encourage you to consider supporting some upcoming legislation that seeks to add gender identity to the Tennessee Human Rights Act. Seems if we can support equal rights for gun owners we can support equal rights for people in general.

Until the early 70s Homosexuality was considered a mental illness. 

maybe it is a gay oasis ;)  

So far we really only know about three people there.  Aaron, Eric and the really good doctor that was mentioned.  IIRC that is the only specifics he gave to the group.

That's what I was thinking. Gays wanting to imprison the women to grow the community.

That's what I was thinking. Gays wanting to imprison the women to grow the community.

Well we heard kids playing but I suppose it could have been an elaborate recording or something.

You may think it's a "tired old belief system", but it's still very much the majority. The moral values that a country is built on are never "tired", or "old".

• Like 3
  • Administrator

I don't mind gay people any more than I mind anyone else.  I don't support the lifestyle, I don't engage in the lifestyle, but what two men or two women do in the privacy of their own home is between them and God.  I just don't care to have to witness it.  Men or women.

The gay kiss and the fawning of Eric over Aaron was completely unnecessary and made both me and my wife gag.  The writers could have added gay male characters without gratuitous spit swapping and it would have been just as effective of a story-arc as what they have now.  It was done for (a.) shock value and (b.) to push the envelope of what is socially acceptable on television, period.

Anyone who wants to argue that 30-40 years ago it was just as edgy to feature interracial, white/black, kissing on TV -- for example -- is arguing from a disadvantaged position.  The parallel simply is not there from a biological perspective.  Someone else pointed out that the media is slowly shaping what the public is willing to deem acceptable, and I agree with that 100%.  Just beware that 30-40 years from now if the leftists have their way and keep eroding society's morals and ethics, someone may be having the same discussion we're having but instead of two men kissing and fawning over themselves, it could just as easily be a grown man and a 12 year old girl.

Today's taboos are tomorrow's topics of cultural diversity and inclusion unless people stand up for what's right.

The Walking Dead may have lost me as a viewer if they can't find a way to tell this story without two dudes graphically finding love inside of each other's sweaty, hairy butts.

• Like 6

I don't mind gay people any more than I mind anyone else.  I don't support the lifestyle, I don't engage in the lifestyle, but what two men or two women do in the privacy of their own home is between them and God.  I just don't care to have to witness it.  Men or women.

The gay kiss and the fawning of Eric over Aaron was completely unnecessary and made both me and my wife gag.  The writers could have added gay male characters without gratuitous spit swapping and it would have been just as effective of a story-arc as what they have now.  It was done for (a.) shock value and (b.) to push the envelope of what is socially acceptable on television, period.

Anyone who wants to argue that 30-40 years ago it was just as edgy to feature interracial, white/black, kissing on TV -- for example -- is arguing from a disadvantaged position.  The parallel simply is not there from a biological perspective.  Someone else pointed out that the media is slowly shaping what the public is willing to deem acceptable, and I agree with that 100%.  Just beware that 30-40 years from now if the leftists have their way and keep eroding society's morals and ethics, someone may be having the same discussion we're having but instead of two men kissing and fawning over themselves, it could just as easily be a grown man and a 12 year old girl.

Today's taboos are tomorrow's topics of cultural diversity and inclusion unless people stand up for what's right.

The Walking Dead may have lost me as a viewer if they can't find a way to tell this story without two dudes graphically finding love inside of each other's sweaty, hairy butts.

On top of all that, the Talking Dead added "insult to injury" (for lack of a better term) by praising the show's producers and writers on their inclusion of this "touching" and "poignant" scene. A short interview with Andrew Lincoln revealed that he was also in favor of it and went on about how wonderful it was.

Let's face it - the gratuitous inclusion of graphic homoerotic scenes on television (and films, for that matter) are neither "brave" nor "ground-breaking" anymore, but that's the picture that the gay activists like to paint. Like you, David, I have nothing against any gay person. The first one I ever met was in college, and he and I were good friends and even lived on the same floor and wing of the dorm. He didn't shove it in my face (metaphorically speaking), and neither did I try to shove my beliefs down his throat. As a result of that positive experience and the mutual respect we had for each other in spite of our differences, I don't have any hostility or animosity towards anyone who's gay. I just don't want it shoved in my face and then told I'm homophobic or that my belief system is "tired" and "old" when my natural revulsion to it kicks in.

The name-calling and insults (both direct and indirect) that result from simply voicing one's disagreement with "alternative lifestyles" are childish and unproductive. Seems to me that the LGBT community has a serious PR problem; they have failed to sell themselves in a positive light to the general public, so they resort to trying to force their views down the throats of others via travesties such as so-called "hate crime" legislation and through character assassination and vilification. Remember the baker who didn't want to be associated with a gay wedding because it was in conflict with his beliefs as a Christian, and his reward for that was a lawsuit? THAT is what turns me off to it more than anything else - the expectation that somehow I MUST change my mind and discard MY beliefs or be labeled as something that I am most definitely NOT. If someone wants to be gay, it's none of my business. But when they tell me that something is wrong with me because I refuse to accept what I know is wrong, then it says far more about them than it does about me.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 2

Well said. I feel pretty much exactly like you do about the situation. I dont support it in any way form or fashion. Then again I believe we don't really have the right to tell other people how to live their lives. As you said, that is between them and god, and if it turns out to be an abominable sin, then they will have to answer for it at the pearly gates. I look at it kind of like a bad neighbor situation. You stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on mine. Dont push that lifestyle on me, which I feel is what this last episode of TWD did. They could have left the gay kiss out and not offended what I would GUESS to be well over half of their conservative, heterosexual viewing audience.

• Like 3

I didn't think it pushed very many boundaries. Homosexual characters have been on television for a long time.

What puzzles me more than anything else is the feigned surprise from those who are pro-gay when there is a backlash to stuff like this, like they are shocked that ANYONE could have an objection to it.

REALLY?

Much as it sickens me personally, what others do don't mean squat to me.

I'd heap rather have a pair of loyally monogamous mo's around than some disease spreading heterosexual whores swinging en masse.

Yeah, as far as ally assets against the Zeds and Bad Humans, sexual orientation would be pretty far down the consideration list for me at this point of the struggle.

I'd even be giving any surviving pinko leftists a bye by then. Probably.  ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

On a different topic (hopefully) I just read that this seasons last episode will be 90 minutes. Plenty of time to explore our inner feelings  :yuck:  Maybe even get to watch some perfectly normal :ugh:  fudge packing.  :puke: Probably will just be more commercials

HA!!! I knew it as soon as I heard him talk and he was way to clean cut and stuff..i pegged him right a ways.. 

Anyway.. I think  , that whole scene was really not necessary. I thought it did not fit in for some reason.. It does not matter to me as I am not a homophobe but I would have been more impressed if he was in love with a 99 year old woman he is taking care off or a walker that he loves/loved...

Something still urks me about him and I cant put my finger on it.he is way to smarmy and clean.. we all heard the kids in the backround when they pulled up.I think its not what we think it will  be..

Because you cant  see past the gates as of yet,.i think we are in for a shocker..

I think there's a whole colony of walkers stumbling about wearing new dresses, fresh lipstick and exquisite hairdos behind those walls.  Them fellas had to have been doing something to keep themselves busy.

The sound of children is just a recording.

• Like 1