Pocket carry

owejia

Like the gun a lot but just not as much for pocket carry. It was a James Bond favorite but then that is Hollywood and what do they know???? I pocket carry a Ruger LCP 380 and love it!!!!!!

Me too!

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/Holster%20Project/IMG_1836.jpg.html]IMG_1836.jpg[/URL]

Even though I'm pretty big guy and wear cargoes with roomy pockets most all the time, anything bigger and/or heavier than my Kahr PM9 with extra mag is just too much for pocket. This with 13 rounds of 124 gr rounds weighs 1lb 10 oz., 4.75 x 6" total outside dimensions.

Kahr-Stellar-new.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

As others said, but saying it differently .... if you gonna have that much size and weight, at least get a 9mm.   The ammo is cheaper and more potent. 

I carried something much like the walther for many, many years (a Makarov, which is effectively a 380 and its effectively the same size and shape)  and I carried it in my pocket without a lot of trouble.  It was heavy, so you need a belt to avoid ankle-pants syndrome, but big as it was it fit in a pocket and carried fine there. 

Hand bite depends.  My hands are on the smaller side of medium and these sized guns fit me great while fullsized extra-wide highcaps are feel big to me.  If you have giant hands, you will lose skin, but that is just subject to your frame.

in other news, the size, weight, and gentle 380 cartridge all but eliminate recoil, its very comfortable to shoot. 

Currently I have moved to the sig 938 for my pocket pistol, and before that came out the same thing in 380.  The smaller class (kel-tec p3at, sig 238, etc) really fits well in pockets; the walther sized class really needs larger pockets (think, men's dress pants size) and won't fit at all in some brands.

Even though I'm pretty big guy and wear cargoes with roomy pockets most all the time, anything bigger and/or heavier than my Kahr PM9 with extra mag is just too much for pocket. This with 13 rounds of 124 gr rounds weighs 1lb 10 oz., 4.75 x 6" total outside dimensions.

Kahr-Stellar-new.jpg

- OS

Nice

Even though I'm pretty big guy and wear cargoes with roomy pockets most all the time, anything bigger and/or heavier than my Kahr PM9 with extra mag is just too much for pocket. This with 13 rounds of 124 gr rounds weighs 1lb 10 oz., 4.75 x 6" total outside dimensions

Nice looking outfit OS !!!   I wish they made those rubber grips like that for LCP's..................... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Nice

Nice looking outfit OS !!!   I wish they made those rubber grips like that for LCP's..................... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hogue Jr. Folks do use them on LCP, trim them on top I believe:

handallcp.jpg

They come with that one finger groove, which I don't care for, trimmed it off with knife.

I imagine you can just use a section of bicycle inner tube also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

handallcp.jpg

They come with that one finger groove, which I don't care for, trimmed it off with knife.

- OS

Never thought about the bike inner tube. Might have to buy one and do me some cutting. Thanks for the tip  OS... :up: :up:

Maybe a bike shop would have a free ruined one laying around or something.

- OS

Don't have a clue where a bike shop might be but I know where Walmart is and I have about three other small grip pistols that I might be able to use it on so not much will go to waste............. :up:

Looking at a walther ppk/s 380 in ss for a pocket pistol.Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

You can get a pocket pistol for half the price, weight and size with nearly the same capacity in the same caliber. I used to have a Walther for pocket carry. I got rid of it for a TCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- OS

I have a Hogue Jr. on my P3AT... makes all the difference in the world. 

Beautiful, slim, well made, but a .380 when you could have a 9mm, and it has a horrendous double action trigger pull.  I've had several, even had one worked on to ease the DA pull and still decided it wasn't worth it.

IF I have to pocket carry I carry the DB9 that I got my wife to carry.  Apparrently we got the only one that actually works, at least from forum posts.  I don't shoot reloads in it at all, mostly round nose hollow points and have had zero problems.

Cherokee Slim

• Like 1

Beautiful, slim, well made, but a .380 when you could have a 9mm, and it has a horrendous double action trigger pull.  I've had several, even had one worked on to ease the DA pull and still decided it wasn't worth it.

IF I have to pocket carry I carry the DB9 that I got my wife to carry.  Apparrently we got the only one that actually works, at least from forum posts.  I don't shoot reloads in it at all, mostly round nose hollow points and have had zero problems.

Cherokee Slim

The DB supposedly fixed their issues.  The early runs had many reported problems; last couple of years, far far fewer.

The Walther .380 PPKs is a blowback design so its perceived recoil for most shooters is greater than the, for example, smaller, lighter, and higher caliber Sig 9mm 938.

You might want to visit the Walther online forum. It has a section dedicated to the PPKs. You will find that not an insignificant number of the .380 versions have feeding and extraction issues. It was originally designed as a .32 caliber and that version seems to have fewer operating issues.

For day to day pocket carry there are many better options in 9mm. They just don't have the esthetic appeal of the Walther for some folks. That appeal is not a good reason for self defense pocket carry. As already mentioned its double action factory trigger pull is Very Stout (likely 10 lbs. of pull)!

In my opinion, THE WALTHER IS HEAVY AND UNDERPOWERED. Edited by Djay3

I'll stick to my Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. I need a pocket horster with mag holder like Oh Shoot has.

The PM9 or even the PM40 are well made, trustworthy after break-in pocket pistols.  I've had both with no complaints but got rid of them when . . .  I don't remember why.  Probably a shiny new something or other came along that I couldn't live without.

Cherokee Slim

The PM9 or even the PM40 are well made, trustworthy after break-in pocket pistols.  I've had both with no complaints but got rid of them when . . .  I don't remember why.  Probably a shiny new something or other came along that I couldn't live without.

Cherokee Slim

Cherokee Slim

i know about them shiny things that come along.............. :rofl: They have made many men do stupid things that they later regret doing............ :up: :up: :up: ..........................jmho

When I worked in a restaurant I experimented with back pocket carry, both with a SP101 and MK9 in a Desantis Nemesis. Had to as my apron prevented easy access from most traditional carry positions and sob was not an option.

Grip towards the center of back.

Draw was reasonably smooth and accessible.

Safe re-holstering requires removal of the holster.

Requires a cover garment for concealment.(depending on gun and depth of pocket)

Sitting is not uncomfortable as I can adjust the holster vertically in the pocket. Ymmv depending on how low on your hips you wear your pants.

Buy a good belt first.

Little off topic but I will witness and testify to buying a good belt. A good belt allows me to carry a full size to compact 9 or a 3" to snub nose revolver plus ammo with ease, all day, every day...and I'm not a big guy at 5'8" x 160#

As an option to the ppk, check out the Bersa Thunder Plus. 15 rounds of .380 and it's still reasonably slim. Had one and traded it. Loved the James Bond look, felt great in my hand, nice pistol at a good price point BUT it was my only .380 and more expensive to practice with vs 9mm Edited by Gotthegoods

Carried one for several years as an OD/BUG and had a lot of mechanical problems with it not attributable to ammunition, magazines or hold. Realistically mine was probably a lemon but still was overly large for pocket carry so I used either an ankle holster, IWB holster or SBA vest holster with it. Overall to my mind the Ruger LCP I now carry is a better set up. Still there's something about the PPK/s that generates interest in shooters who've never owned one.