I'm not happy with my pocket guns.

Will Carry

If you want "a real pocket cannon," have you looked at the Springfield XD-s? It's almost the exact same size as the Shield. I pocket carry mine about 3 to 4 days a week at work. Hard to beat 5+1 rounds of Hornady 230 gr +P .45 ACP.

I don't know how you guys carry some of these comfortably in a pocket...  I have a Kahr P380 that I like and can carry in the front or back pocket of my jeans, but anything bigger than that has to be in a holster for me.

• Like 1

Don't forget the Walther PPS; excellent piece. What a Shield wishes it could be.

We normally have pretty consistant views, buddy. But I can't agree with you on this one. I know it differs from person to person, but after having a PPS in 9 and 40, you should be ashamed of yourself. Dissing the Shield with a comment like that. lol

I've found the Shield to be easier to carry and shoot than the PPS ever was. And the trigger is much better. Yes, I know that's subjective as well.

So, jmo.
  • Like 1

Smith and Wesson 642 or a Ruger LCP. I'm pleased with them both.

Almost the same as my 'pocket gun' options.  I have a 642 and a Kel Tec P3AT.  The 642 gets carried more often.  In fact, it gets carried the most of any of my carry guns.  Pocket carry isn't necessarily my 'favorite' way to carry but I have come to accept that it is the most unobtrusive method for carry when I am possibly going to be in what someone above called 'non-permissive' environs, especially in t-shirt weather (which, as a warm natured person living in east Tennessee, constitutes 9 or 10 months out of the year, for me.)  I also think that, as I believe that many of the small autos chambered in .380 and up are 'pushing the envelope' for reliability there is something to be said for 'five for sure' in a pocket gun.

I do admit to shooting the P3AT more accurately and consistently.  However, I think that is entirely an issue with the grips and hope that the Pachmayr Compac grips I ordered for the 642 this morning will help me address that issue while hopefully not hurting my ability to pocket carry it.

Edited by JAB
Will Carry ... "The Sig P-238: I love this little Honey! It's reliable, accurate, has a good trigger and night sights but it has too many catch points to pocket carry and I carry "cocked and locked". I wear it IWB but if I'm going to wear inside the wasteband, why not carry something bigger than a 380? I'll keep the Sig but If I could get rid of all my 380s, it would be one less caliber to have to worry about."

Before changing into another firearm, you might consider trying the Sig-238 with the leather GALCO pocket holster Model J139L PRO0608 (sheesh that's a lot of numbers). Personally, I haven't encountered any snag issues using that setup in Docker style pants.

GALCO also makes that type pocket holster to fit the excellent Sig-938.

Earlier I had tried a DeSantis G5 pocket holster with the 238 and the front sight had a tendency to catch on that holster when "presenting".

Good luck on finding the best combo. Edited by Djay3
  • Like 1

I've found the Shield to be easier to carry and shoot than the PPS ever was. And the trigger is much better. Yes, I know that's subjective as well.So, jmo.

The Shield is like magic. It will carry all day in a pocket, outshoot the range guns, and eat the crappy ammo spit out of the other guns off the ground. Then it will shoot circles around our PPS without cleaning it.

The Shield is like magic. It will carry all day in a pocket, outshoot the range guns, and eat the crappy ammo spit out of the other guns off the ground. Then it will shoot circles around our PPS without cleaning it.

And cleaning it is a breeze. I use a silicone cloth and a couple of pulls with a boresnake Takes longer to take it down and reassemble than cleaning.

Excellent point! In-fight weapons access needs to be a consideration, imho.

I carry a Glock AIWB, but pocket carry a S&W Model 640 on my non-dominant side. The AIWB carry is markedly easier to access while in a tangle, on the ground, even with an adversary sitting on you (we used Glock 17-T's and Sims or Blue Guns for practice/training).

But that little 640 is doable. I run a Tyler T and Barami "hip grips" on mine. The grips increase carry location options.

My wife gave me the 640 in 1992 and it almost always with me and is the, imho, perfect handgun for non-permissive environments.

I like the fact I can have my hand on the grip, while pocketed, and do so in a non-threatening manner. But I guess that can be said about almost any viable pocket carry handgun.

I do "dress around" my weapons/tools. I wear Carhartt jeans daily and a version of those I choose that have moderately large front pockets. I am a "jeans & T-shirt" kind of guy anyway.

I carry in a Mika pocket holster. link: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

Just and option and an opinion... 

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

edited to add a better pic...

I use the exact same holster.

And the point you made about having your "hand on the grip' is spot on.

• Like 1

I'll add to Hersh's excellent comment... I'll always keep a small gun on me all the time (....usually a Sig 238 in a front pocket holster...) and a "big gun" (...a baby glock, a G20, or a big revolver close in the car or my ole jeep...)... You cant have too many guns...

PS--- i also like the j frame smiths in a  pocket holster or IWB....

leroy

I don't know how you guys carry some of these comfortably in a pocket...  I have a Kahr P380 that I like and can carry in the front or back pocket of my jeans, but anything bigger than that has to be in a holster for me.

This. To me anything bigger than a LCP is not a pocket gun.
  • Like 3

I usually carry my Shield 9mm in my pocket but it's a bit heavier than my J-frame Ultra Light Taurus .38+P.  When I'm traveling on the road, I carry the .38. I load it with my self defense +P hollow points , I think they'll pack a wallop if needed. It's a lot more comfortable for me also.. I really like them both for pocket carry. Just depends where & when I carry one. :hat:

with big pockets and a belt you can carry a fairly large pistol.  The biggest I tried (and gave up) was the beretta px4 smallest size.  It was much wider than expected (I got an early one -- my own fault).  It fit, but it was too tight for any sort of fast draw and it printed too much and weighed too much.  I also tried a kel-tec p40 (p11 frame) and it fit but I disliked the trigger. 

The biggest thing I carried comfortably was my makarov (single stack type), which is about like a bersa 380 or the smaller walthers etc.  This was heavy and required a belt or tight pants (I prefer belt).   Still one of my favorite guns (absolutely the best $$ spent to date), but its on range only duty now. 

And moving to a modern platform, I will never go back.   While the bigger and heavier stuff can be done,  modern guns cut the weight nearly in half and the size by inches.   The pocket platform has been in style for a few years now and there are all sorts to choose from -- all major trigger types represented, and most "short" calibers from .22 to 40 can be found. 

FYI, the SIG P938 is on sale at PSA.  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/p938sas-9mm-6rd-2-72-dt-ns-938-9-sas-ambi.html?utm_source=DEALS%3A+XM855+5.56%2C+Colt+6720+AR-15+%26+More&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

I haven't touched the SIG or the Kahr PM9.  They seem to be similar in size and weight.  But the ad says the SIG overall width is 1.1" and the Kahr website says the PM9's slide is .9".  

I assume the overall width of the SIG includes safety and slide catch.  So is the main body width the same, less than, or more than the Kahr?

I ask because I hope to have a new pocket 9mm by next summer and I'm trying to decide which.  I've been carrying a full-size Glock and it's becoming a PITA to wear 2 shirts almost all the time.  I went running on the greenway tonight and felt kinda nekkid completely unarmed.

I assume the overall width of the SIG includes safety and slide catch.  So is the main body width the same, less than, or more than the Kahr?

Kahr is 1.15-1.2 " at widest point including slide stop on one side and small part of slide stop pin that protrudes on the other.

Dunno about slide stop, but a bit hard to believe SIG is counting the safety in its width too, but maybe so.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'll never forget Bronker saying he pocket carries a Glock. I'm almost positive it was the 19 but it may have been the 26.

Either way. Wow!

I have pocket carried a 26/27 a lot. I have seen several cops take their belt off at the end of shift and stuff a Glock 22 into their pocket for the ride home.

FYI, the SIG P938 is on sale at PSA.  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/p938sas-9mm-6rd-2-72-dt-ns-938-9-sas-ambi.html?utm_source=DEALS%3A+XM855+5.56%2C+Colt+6720+AR-15+%26+More&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

I haven't touched the SIG or the Kahr PM9.  They seem to be similar in size and weight.  But the ad says the SIG overall width is 1.1" and the Kahr website says the PM9's slide is .9".  

I ask because I hope to have a new pocket 9mm by next summer and I'm trying to decide which.  I've been carrying a full-size Glock and it's becoming a PITA to wear 2 shirts almost all the time.  I went running on the greenway tonight and felt kinda nekkid completely unarmed.

the sig 9mm has an ambi safety.  It is reading 0.95 inches (using calipers) on the average gun body and 1.2 across the safties.  The width is your least concern comparing the two.  That was an average across the slide, grips, and frame.  The frame is thinnest and the grips/slide wider of course.

Edited by Jonnin