A 9mm ain't sh!t

Babyface Nelson, was shot seven times in the torso with 45acp from a Thompson sub-machine gun and was shot with 00 buckshot, eleven pellets in the legs. He still gunned down two FBI agents, got into a car, told his girl friend "I'm done," I was driven away where he later died in bed. 

Babyface Nelson, was shot seven times in the torso with 45acp from a Thompson sub-machine gun and was shot with 00 buckshot, eleven pellets in the legs. He still gunned down two FBI agents, got into a car, told his girl friend "I'm done," I was driven away where he later died in bed.

Should've shot him in the eye with a 22.
  • Like 2

That just tells me one thing - shot placement fail.

After thinking this over more I still will keep my little 25 deep in my pocket as the ultatmat back up. But that is all it is. And yes I have spent a lot of time shooting it so I know if I need it I have a better than average chance of getting one good shot out of the 14 I alwase have with the gun. But I also think I would much rather have my 9mm if I could or even my sks or 12 gauge but those are harder to carry and so harder to hide so best I can expect is to have the 25 on me at all times and try to get the 9mm on my hip as much as I can.

I carry an XDS in .45.... And I know there are a ton of haters that will hate because it's a .45 and also because XDS has fanboy status.... But the first time I picked one up and shot it... I knew that was going to be the carry gun for me. I was immediately effective within self defense range for consistent vitals placement in a decently quick fashion.

I have a .40 for the house, because my wife can shoot it better than she can a .45 and it has a higher capacity.

I don't post on here much, and almost never on topics like this..... But in my humble opinion, and I'm most certainly not the most qualified member on here..... I bring the biggest that I can still be effective with. More damage to bad man is always better.

If I could daily carry a 12ga and be effective with it.... That's where I'd go next.

• Like 2

I've seen, firsthand, the results of numerous gunshot wounds.

IMO, there are four ways these successfully end up (depending which end you're on).

1.  CNS damage (brain / upper spine).  The best.

2.  Heart / bloodloss.  Good, but even shot in the heart, someone can potentially be functional for 10-12 seconds with the oxygen already in the brain.  That's a long time in a fight.

3.  Structural damage.  They may still want to fight, but the wound won't allow them to.

4.  Psychological.  This one shouldn't even blip on your radar.  It happens, but don't count on it.

Ideally...use a round that consistantly gets 12-18" of penetration in 10% ballistic gel and reliably achieves about 1.5x original caliber expansion.

If the round / caliber you carry can't do that, use FMJ or change calibers.

Oh, and hit something vital...

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
You should hear the crap people say about the 5.7x28 being a glorified .22 and they talk like it won't stop or kill a man. lol

I hate to use the comparison, but the Fort Hood terrorist sure killed a lot of men with the lowly Five-seveN.

And yes, I sometimes carry my Five-seveN pistol. Sometimes I carry the XDs 45acp. Sometimes I carry the Glock Gen 4 21 45acp, etc. I think they're all great and will do fine should I ever need them. Edited by JohnC

I use to love to read Massad Ayoobs actual cop shootout after action reviews in American Handgunner. It showed me that all kinds of rounds may or may not stop an opponent. Every situation and individual is different.

As far as throwing the little .25 auto under the bus, hmmm, 50gr FMJ going 800+ FPS ... I would not want to get hit anywhere in the skull with it!  

BTW, has anyone priced a box of .25 lately, if you can find them, that's the biggest reason I see to not owning one!  :pleased:

While I agree with being prepared to defend one's self, the reality is 99% of those on this forum will never pull a trigger in defense, and God willing, you better hope that to be true. I personally would not want to pull the trigger on another human being. Your life would never be the same in more ways then one. Would I defend myself or family in an armed confrontation? Darn right, but I pray to never see that day in my lifetime.

Edited by 221 Fireball
  • Like 2

While I agree with being prepared to defend one's self, the reality is 99% of those on this forum will never pull a trigger in defense, and God willing, you better hope that to be true. I personally would not want to pull the trigger on another human being. Your life would never be the same in more ways then one. Would I defend myself or family in an armed confrontation? Darn right, but I pray to never see that day in my lifetime.

Absolutely Right!!
  • Like 1

Here's a interesting story I would like to share.

I was in Academy for the first time here in Clarksville a few weeks ago looking at the handguns where this husband is showing his wife guns and here is the interesting part.

He takes her to the 45s and says, "A 9mm ain't #### all it's going to do is piss the guy off but, a 45 is going to stop him."

I was very tempted to say something but, I just shaked my head and walked off.

By the way, the guy was about 5'6 and jacked as hell so he must be compensating for something.

I'd have told him to go tell that to all the guys and gals that died from a 9mm over the last 60 something years.