Advice needed about used 4 wheelers

Randall53

I know many of you have 4 wheelers and I'd appreciate any input ya'll may have on them. I've been looking a bit, but get tired of the sales pitches and pressure to buy. They all say theirs is the best and so on, but I'm going to buy used anyway, so I thought coming here and getting the real scoop is the best way to go.

I've always been a motorcycle person but I'm getting out of it and have a pretty solid sale for my ST1300.  What I'm wanting to do is get a REALLY dependable, Utility/hunting go anywhere type machine that will ride 2 people. I'm pretty much sold on a 4x4 with low range though. After looking at a few I can see there are a lot of options. What input do ya'll have as to these machines? Do you like the auto or manual shift? What's out there besides the belt driven like the Arctic Cats and Polaris or are they all belt driven? Is belt driven the best and can you change a worn one out yourself? Anyway, those are some questions I have, but I really don't know enough about them to ask much more. Please feel free to fill me in on what you think is best and why.

PS....My price range will be $4k to $6k.  If anyone knows  where one is for sale, I'd like to check it out. My motorcycle is not sold yet and could fall through, but it seems like a pretty solid deal, pending a meet and greet sometime this week.

You're help will be greatly appreciated!!!

I went through this a few years back and here are some things I would take into consideration.  I bought a Polaris Sportsman XP which has been a great machine, but if I had to do it over again, I may have went a slightly different route (not based on Polaris, but based on ATV Type).

For me, there are actually two different types of ATV's anyone should consider.  Your traditional sit on ATV and the new sit in Utility ATV's (UTV).  I am leaving the sport sit in's out of this as for me they are for nothing but running trails.

At the time, I went with a regular ATV to be honest because 1) I didn't really consider the benefit of the sit in's at the time, and 2) they were still pretty new in 2010 so they weren't as popular as they are now.

For me, we use ours as much for work around the house as we do hunting.  Throw a chainsaw on the back, or pull a cart, whatever.   It gets used daily for some chore, even if it is just taking the dogs for a run.  While it does all of those items well, I think there is certainly a case to be made that one of the sit ins with a dump bed on it is much more useful if you plan to use it for utility a bit more than hunting. 

A traditional sit on atv has the advantage of being a bit more nimble.  My friends dad has a Kubota  utility atv for around the house and he also uses it for hunting, but he also keeps a regular 4 wheeler because it is easier to work the cattle from it since it is more nimble. 

If mine wasn't paid for, I would heavily consider trading up for a good utility sit in atv.  There are different ones out there.  I was always a Honda guy for years, but this last time I traded, the Polaris dealer gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.  It is also the only one made in the US, so that made my Dad happy.  I have been very pleased with it for the last 3 years I have had it.  It does have a belt, but if you are doing any heavy pulling, just put it in low and I have not had anything it couldn't do.  

I think any of them are good today with proper maintenance and care.  If it looks beat up, it probably has been would be my only major advice outside of make sure to check out the Utility ATV's.  I think they are much more practical for day to day use and they can go almost anywhere a traditional atv can go.

Edited by Hozzie

My vote is for the polaris too, the belt can be a problem if you are hard on it but if you are an adult it'll last long time. I've got a 2001 with the original belt. 

Outstanding low gear and utility capability. 

Edited by Ugly

Be Careful!!!!!!!!! In more ways than one. Be careful when you ride and be extra careful what you buy. I would not buy one used from any one that has children or had children at home because most all adults do take care of their machines and most children push them far beyond what their capabilities are.......................jmho

• Like 1
I don't have a lot to add but this. We have 3 Honda Ranchers. An 01,03, and mine is an 05. They have been abused ,beat, all the plastic nearly busted off and not a straight piece anywhere. But none have ever had a mechanical problem. They just keep on ticking. When it's time to get a new one I will be buying another Honda.
  • Like 1
The utility of a Polaris (or similar) Side-by-side/UTV is second to none. We have the Ranger XP 800 and the all electric one. We use them all the time out at our farm. I'd said that if you are a property owner. UTV is the way to go. If you just lease land or joyride, then a regular 4 wheeler would be fine.

I guess I'm the only one on here with a Can-am then. I've had my Can-am max( which is a factory built 2-seater atv). Since 2008. I've had no problems aside from a speedometer that went out but was covered by warranty.

Now the other machines out there are good in their own right, but everyone has an opinion about every brand.

Belt driven ones, yes you can change the belt. though you probably won't have to if the former owner has taken good care of it.

I run synthetic oil in mine, change it once a year ( since i haven't rode much this year) but if you plan on crossing creeks or riding around mud and your atv/sxs has grease fittings I would suggest you use marine grade grease or better yet if you can find it. "Green Grease"

I'll eventually upgrade to a sxs ( side by side) but for now, my Can-am outlander will go everywhere i want to go.

Honda Foreman!   With you in Hixson, there use to be a dealer in Chattanooga famous for the lowest price new Honda foreman East of Mississippi, no joke.  I believe its Southern Power Sports or something, and then Ritchie Power Sports in Athens will price match.  I know of many people in the Ktown area saved $500+ including myself that bought from these dealers.   When my father bought his, a man from Alabama was at the Southern Power Sports buying 10 for his family.  They had a triple axle 5th wheel trailer.  He was not a dealer, just had heard of the great deals.

http://www.southernhonda.com/

http://www.ritchiepowersports.com/see-our-location-and-hours-operation--hours

Edited by Runco

I will tell this story of being at a Honda dealer a few years ago when the yellow foremans came out. I was in the shop getting a tire patched as they were loading up this good looking yellow foreman and I commented on how good it looked. The serviceman said " that right there is a reason not to buy a used 4 wheeler" he said that guy was in every creek and river he could get into and they had changed all the fluids multiple times. I would buy one from a known friend that serviced it. I bought a used Kawasaki TransMule which is a 4 adult seated vehicle, I had a good 4 wheeler at the time, best purchase ever. I use that thing all the time doing jobs around the house, hunting and just riding. I would look at some side by sides, I really think they are the best for the dollar spent. A guy that I used to hunt with had paid $12K for a canam 4 wheeler and when I bought my mule he said man why didn't I get one of those instead of this?

I owned a Honda 300 4x4 for 20 years and sold it two years ago.  It was the AK-47 of 4-wheelers and was still running strong when I sold it.  Call me a fuddy-duddy, but if I'm looking for the ultimate in dependability and longevity in a used 4-wheeler, I would stay away from liquid-cooled, power steering, electric shift, auto trans, belt drive, etc.  The comment above about buying from someone you know is worth remembering.  Run from the guy who loves mud, water and snorkel kits.

I have a 2011 Honda Rancher 4x4 w/ Electric Shift and it's been great.  Bought it new and have put around 223 miles on it.  Has a solid rear axle.  Only thing I might have done different was buy the Foreman instead but will be selling the Rancher in a few years to upgrade to a side by side but my recommendation would be to stick with Honda.  I would check the used inventory at the ATV dealers.  That may provide a little more peace of mind and have some warranty attached to it.  Have heard a lot of good things about the Honda ATV dealer in Chattanooga also. 

Funny about hondas, Everyone that i have rode with back when i started riding had hondas.  All I heard was " you can't kill a Honda", "Hondas will outlast everything out there" etc, you name it, I've heard it.

The thing that's funny is, while they offer dependability, they are either slow or not comfortable and since then, the riders i have rode with that were hardcore honda owners have either sold their hondas and gotten into the side x side ( UTV) market or they have gotten out completely.

Just my observations.

I looked into hondas back when i was getting into the sport but the ones i looked at weren't as ergonomical or comfortable as the ones today. Hence I have a "caddilac" atv in my can-am. No power steering, just fuel injected 60 hp v-twin.