4" or 6" GP-100 357 mag - Which To Keep

lshel

I need help in deciding which GP-100 to keep, one with 4" barrel or the 6" barrel. The 4" seems to be more balanced, is lighter, and carries easier in a holster. Both guns have a good trigger. The 6" has a longer sight radius which may improve accuracy. Both revolvers would be used for rangers 50 yds or less. Those that have one or both barrel lengths in a revolver, what are the pro's for your gun. I have had the 6" for several years and the 4" is a new purchase. I really do not see a need to keep both revolvers. HELP.

If it's just a range gun I would go with the 6", the 4" will be a bit easier to carry but realistically these aren't my idea of an EDC gun anyway, especially for CC applications. I've got a 4" and its a great gun all the way around, I would get a 6" just because I find them more ascetically pleasing. Not being a hunter or even really competent marksman the extra barrel length would just be for fun.

Have the 6" cut down to 5". Perfect compromise!

Between the two, it's either the portability of the 4" or the extra ballistics of the 6" barrel. At 50 yards and closer, the extra sight radius won't affect things much.

Me personally I believe the 4" would have infinitely more practical uses and would actually be used more where as the 6" would just be a bit to big and be left at home.JMO
I'd keep the 6". I will never carry a full size revolver in any concealed capacity. If I was wearing it for show, the 6" is still the winner. The point of a 357 is its great ballistics. You get more of that with a 6" barrel.

I will say though, a 3" S&W 686 is probably the most beautiful gun ever made.
Trade them both and get a 5" barrel. Ruger made a limited run for one of the big distributors a few years ago. Lipsey maybe? They are kind of hard to find but they are available. That's also not how to spell aesthetically!

I have a 4 inch GP100 and see no reason for ever owning a 6 inch in .357.  Just for me, if I were going to go with a barrel that long it would be in a 'heavier' cartridge like .44 Magnum.  I figure if I am going to own a big revolver then it had might as well be a BIG revolver (and, in fact, I do own a 7.5 inch Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag.)  I also like having a longer (6.5) inch barrel on my Heritage because, according to velocity results I have seen in various places, a barrel of that length or similar allows a .22 Mag to reach velocities from a handgun comparable to a .22LR fired from a rifle.  Neither of those are 'carry in public' guns, though.  I think that carrying the 4 inch would be very doable, depending on where you are going, etc. and in fact plan to make a leather pancake style holster that will ride sort of high on my belt with a forward cant to carry the 4 inch GP100 in, some, once my current medical issues that pretty much prevent belt carry are behind me. 

Edited by JAB

They're both too big to carry anywhere other than OC in the field, camping, etc.  I'd say a GP is too nice for use as a glove box gun.  And the everyday role is what the SP is for.  

So if you're gonna have a .357 that you'll never try to conceal... then why not have the extra barrel length for ballistics and sight radius?

They're both too big to carry anywhere other than OC in the field, camping, etc.  I'd say a GP is too nice for use as a glove box gun.  And the everyday role is what the SP is for.  

So if you're gonna have a .357 that you'll never try to conceal... then why not have the extra barrel length for ballistics and sight radius?

(Emphasis mine)

I respectfully disagree - depending on a person's build, etc.  This is a pic from a couple of years ago that I did just to show how much it is really possible to (casually) conceal under nothing but an unbuttoned shirt.

Image1.jpg

And this is what I had on me in that picture:

Image5.jpg

Notice that, among other things, there was a 4 inch Taurus 66 .357 Magnum (the gun I traded for my GP100.)  It was pretty well hidden by just that shirt and that was in nothing but an inexpensive Fobus.  I think that with a good holster that holds the gun 'high and tight' then casual concealment would be very doable with a 4 inch GP100.  It might not be the thing to carry to a formal dinner, wedding, funeral or the like but just out and about at places like Walmart, a casual restaurant and similar locations it would be just as 'doable' as any, other full-sized gun.

Edited by JAB

I'm leaning heavily toward the 4" SS GP100. I have a SS Super Blackhawk in 44 mag and that sort of feels my long gun revolver needs. This gives good back-up for my 1895C Marlin in 44 Mag. Both GP100's , the 4" and 6" are beautiful revolvers. Next I'll just have to come up with a price to put on the GP100 6" or what to look for in trade.

Thanks for all the inputs.

You currently have be best possible set up a 4" & 6" barrel variant of the same revolver. Even better its a heavy duty .357 Magnum built to withstand heavy use with full power loads. No they're not the older S&W K and N frames I prefer or the L frame I've never come to like.

Instead they're bread and butter good quality revolvers which are in high demand and are excellent field and personal defense guns. From personal experience with other 4" vs. 6" vs. 3" keep or trade gun decisions it comes down to this. Keeping both of them isn't costing you anything. Trading or selling one will result in long term regret.