Dad didn't make it

3 weeks ago I posted about my Dad going to the ER and amazingly pulled off a comeback. He went to rehab but was later helicoptered to St. Thomas in critical condition. Those old lungs were just worn out and he said no more. Never went on the vent, went out on his own terms. This Saturday he would have been 88. He was sleeping a lot on his last day, my sister turned on the Lady Vols basketball game because he loved the Vols in spite of his sleeping so much. He woke up and told her Channel 11, ESPN. He drifted in and out but saw the Vols come from behind for an overtime win, closed his eyes and died later that night. We thought it would be appropriate if he had gone with the final buzzer. The last thing he did was give the keys to his truck to his granddaughter. That gave him as much pleasure as it did her. RIP Dad, you were the best.

• Like 19
Sorry brother , my dad is going to turn 89 and my mom will be 82. I hope and pray you get through this just fine. Sometimes people say that their parents died early and they were soo sad , it's even tougher for the rest of us that have them around until we are 55 or older because we know them even better. God Bless .....
  • Like 1

Lost my dad in Feb of this year at the age of 80, so I feel your pain.  Prayers said for you and your family!

I suspect his granddaughter will treasure that truck.  What a neat story.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Like 1

I know it must feel hard for him to pass, but reading what you wrote, is about as peaceful and pleasant a way for it to happen as you can hope for so close to 88 years of age.  His handover of the truck keys to his granddaughter is one of the cooler things I've read in a while.

• Like 2

I am sorry for your family's loss.

I lost both parents in 2014 within 6 weeks of one another.

Making it to 88 is a win in my book!   Go Dad!

( PS: thanks for posting and causing me to think of my Dad. Miss him everyday)

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

I am sorry for your family's loss.

I lost both parents in 2013 within 6 weeks of one another.

Making it to 88 is a win in my book!   Go Dad!

( PS: thanks for posting and causing me to think of my Dad. Miss him everyday)

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

So very sorry to hear this my friend. But sounds like his passing was peaceful and that he was surrounded by the people he loved. He had made his peace with his coming end and accepted it with the most strength and dignity that any of us can hope for. 

I'm so glad that he knew you were there with him, I'm sure that was a great blessing to him.

I know this isn't easy, and the coming days will be difficult. Losing a parent is totally awful. The pain will lessen. But the memories will stay forever.

I know this. Although its' been 24 years since I lost my dad, I feel his passing again with every loss that we hear of here.

God Bless and Keep You and all your family.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Will be praying for ya'll. The story was very touching. I lost my father in 1972 and although it has been almost 43 years I still think of him quite a bit, maybe not everyday but very often. I was 19 when he passed away and I have wished several times to have 5 minutes to ask a question or 2 or get his advice. Time heals but you will always miss him.

• Like 2

Sorry for you're loss Tuffus. It does sound like he was surrounded by family and passed peacefully which is a small comfort, but a very real one. I'm glad he got to see one last win and share a moment with his granddaughter.

• Like 1