Home Defense Shotgun - What is your take

THe electronic ear muffs are GOLD!  Mine will actually amplify sound if I crank them up but still block the shot noise.  Anyone would be a fool not to have a pair next to your HD weapon.  If you don't have time to get them on, ohh well, but the option should be there.  It's not like you'll ever regret it.  

Can't agree with you on that. Electronic muffs are still an obstruction. I'll get over the blast to my ears.

Can't agree with you on that. Electronic muffs are still an obstruction. I'll get over the blast to my ears.

While I will agree they are a great tool, I look at it like I'm losing valuable seconds putting them on.
  • Like 1

Modern autoloading rifles are much, much better for this sort of thing, but if you insist on the shotgun (or it's all you have, I've been there), please:

Forget about the pistol-grip only guns.  Hits stop fights, and at the kind of range you can reliably git hits with a PGO gun, you'd be better off with a bayonet.  Seriously.  At anything past bad-breath range, PGO shotguns suck.

Don't use any shot smaller than #1 buck.  Anything smaller CANNOT reliably be counted on to penetrate flesh deeply enough to incapacitate the human attacker.  If it won't penetrate drywall, how is supposed to keep someone from killing you?

Commit to serious training.  The shotgun, especially the pump shotgun is THE HARDEST SMALL ARM WITH WHICH TO LEARN HOW TO EFFECTIVELY FIGHT.  Buy cheap birdshot by the case and practice loading, shooting, and loading more.  The shotgun starts every fight low on ammo, if you aren't actively engaging targets you should be stuffing shells in.  Buy/make dummy shells and practice loading some more. 

As for which gun... try some and see what you like.  The Benelli Nova and 870 are my pumpguns of choice.  The offerings from Mossberg, Winchester, probably others are just as good... there's a lot of personal preference involved.  Same with pistol grip shoulder stocks.  I always recommend the shortest LOP stock you can find... shotgun stocks are almost always too long.  If you need extra length, ad a recoil pad like the Limbsaver.

• Like 4
Well, I do have to ask; how is it they got in the house in the first place? While no one could ever plan for every contingent, forethought now will give you those seconds to put them on. I have no doubts a determined thug could get into my house. He's gonna have to make a LOT of racket to do it. Not to mention getting past an 80lb pit and doing it all without disturbing my wife's chihuahua. That little girl can hear a gnat farting in the neighbors basement.
  • Like 4

I'll definitely check into the electronic ear muffs. Can anyone recommend a good model?

As for shotgun, we keep a Rossi Circuit Judge in a scabbard by the bedside with a thumb actuated laser. It's a 410 with the Winchester PDX load of three discs and 12 BBs. My wife with arthritis doesn't have to worry about a safety or racking the slide for a second shot.  I tell her: 1) put dot on target  2) pull trigger 3) repeat as needed. 

I have a Maverick Security 88 model shotgun with a 20 inch barrel (they also offer an 18 inch version but the 20 inch version holds more ammo in the tube.)  I have a pistol-only grip on it and do not find it difficult to hit targets at 'home defense' distances with it using cheapo Remington 00 Buckshot.  However, I have a single point sling on it and find that, by pushing out against the sling (rather than pulling in as I would do with a shotgun with a full buttstock) with the sling set at the proper length I can sort of 'lock' it in position and steady it pretty well.  By doing so, I can hold it at chest level and use the front bead well enough in my peripheral vision to point right at a target without having to hold it up to face level and risk a broken nose from recoil.  In low-light conditions centering the beam of the attached light should give pretty good hits at close range.  Heck, my 64 year old mother has shoulder issues that make it difficult for her to shoot any shotgun above a .410 from the shoulder with a full stock.  She can actually shoot the pistol grip 12 gauge 'from the hip' (actually more from her side at between hip and chest level) better than I can, better than she can shoulder fire a twelve gauge and without the pain the shoulder fired setup would cause.  In fact, she says that doing so causes her no pain, whatsoever.

All that said, my loaded, bedside shotgun is a Savage 320 that has a pistol grip and full (non-adjustable) buttstock.  The pistol grip on the Maverick is more for 'niche' use and, honestly, for fun than anything else.

The thing about the Maverick is that, although Mavericks are made by Mossberg (their budget line - the Maverick 88 is almost exactly the same shotgun as the Mossberg 500 with a few exceptions) the safety is on the tang rather than a cross-bolt safety like on the Mossberg version.  As with the Remington 870, this makes it much easier to reach and operate the safety with a pistol-only grip installed.

As far as possibly getting another shotgun with a shorter barrel, there is another option.  You can get different length barrels for the Mossberg.  My understanding is that any of their ribbed barrels will work with their ribbed model shotguns of the corresponding gauge and any of their non-ribbed barrels will work with the non-ribbed shotguns of the corresponding gauge.  In other words, you could simply order a shorter barrel for your Mossberg and swap them out as needed/desired.  Of course, that kind of thinking is silly because it might negate your 'need' for another shotgun and who in their right mind would want to do that?

Edited by JAB
In the event of a home invasion, I'm not clearing my house (no little ones to protect) I'll be protecting my wife, barricaded upstairs in the bedroom with pistol, shotgun, rifle with ears on waiting for Dude to leave or choose to try to invade my bedroom.

We've got insurance for all the stuff downstairs, I'm not using my life insurance early to play SWAT. I don't have that kind of training and I'm not secretly a ninja.
  • Like 2

We've got insurance for all the stuff downstairs, I'm not using my life insurance early to play SWAT. I don't have that kind of training and I'm not secretly a ninja.

I could not agree more.... and I AM (secretly) a ninja :ph34r:, but I wouldn't clear my (or any other) house alone. ... or even with another person ...or with 5 other people,... if my "mission" didn't require it.

Whatever you choose to use, train, train, train, and learn your safe firing lanes (Friends don't let friends shoot their neighbors) and train using them.  Train (with cleared firearms) adrenalin-filled moments in the dark to get into position (prepping with push ups to failure works pretty good).  Think about the safest place for your loved ones if you do get into a firefight (hint: it is probably not "tucked" in right behind you).  

It's what we all know... if you are going to defend your home, make sure you can do it competently - not bringing more harm on yourself or those around you for the effort.  ... and I do endorse having a plan to win... and practicing that plan.  Good things.

• Like 1
Ive got a Savage 320 I keep nearby and if someone came in id know it quickly since i can roll over in the bed and there's a 20" LCD with my internal and external camera feeds on 24/7. Then my only thoughts are one door down the hall to grab the daughter then back up into our bedroom and hold the fort.

My son can fend for himself with his AR on the other side of the hall if needed, creating a cross fire of death if they don't beat feet. I'm not clearing anywhere but the hallway and I can see it all from the bedroom display or from one of our phones.

I'll definitely check into the electronic ear muffs. Can anyone recommend a good model?

As for shotgun, we keep a Rossi Circuit Judge in a scabbard by the bedside with a thumb actuated laser. It's a 410 with the Winchester PDX load of three discs and 12 BBs. My wife with arthritis doesn't have to worry about a safety or racking the slide for a second shot.  I tell her: 1) put dot on target  2) pull trigger 3) repeat as needed. 

I agree.  I have three handguns in the bedroom and a Remington 1100 with nine rounds in the tube.  If I need more than this fire power I am SOL. 

I have a 10 shot  tweaked rem 1100, alternating buck and slugs.  Its a bit long for some homes, but it works fine in mine.   Slugs are not usable in every home, but I am blessed with a safe line straight out my front door.  

I've got an ex-police Mossberg 590A1 18" barrel that I keep "cruiser ready" in a rack in the bedroom. I keep it fully loaded with 00 buck shot, and a side saddle with six more reloads. Like other folks have mentioned, its my hold up in the bedroom weapon in case of a home invasion.

I have a Glock 22 with a 22 round magazine locked and loaded on the night stand for "bump in the night" investigation. That 18" barrel is still pretty long to maneuver within the confines of my house. 

• Like 1

Forget about the pistol-grip only guns.  Hits stop fights, and at the kind of range you can reliably git hits with a PGO gun, you'd be better off with a bayonet.  Seriously.  At anything past bad-breath range, PGO shotguns suck.

Commit to serious training.  The shotgun, especially the pump shotgun is THE HARDEST SMALL ARM WITH WHICH TO LEARN HOW TO EFFECTIVELY FIGHT

Best two comments in the thread here, especially the 2nd part.  If you want to use a shotgun for home defense, you need to train as often- probably more- than you do with pistol and rifle.  I'm man enough to admit that I'm nowhere good enough on a shotgun to use it in a home invasion scenario.  So if I'm woken up in the middle of the night, I'm reaching for a pistol then and there, and my SBR if I exit the bedroom.

I'll just add that if you're of mind to confront the danger rather than wait it out, you need to practice your clearing techniques and movement plan just like you practice the trigger pulling.  If the first time you go through the motions of clearing your own home is during a home invasion, that's dumb on you.

• Like 1
I have a cz 612 hcp. Good gun, but I wish it didn't have the pistol grip. I purchased it when they came out 3 or 4 years ago. Got a good deal. However, it's not aftermarket friendly. I probably will end up selling it and hope to buy a benelli supernova.

Ammo wise, 3.5 mag turkey loads followed by 00 buck shot does the trick for me.
That ain't your typical bird shot. And will lay a whoppin on anything that crosses it's path.
I will admit that I could use more training. But I will defend and hole up in the bedroom along with my wife. Not about any sweep and clear mode.

I don't see the need to over complicate a shotgun for home defense.  If my dogs or other alerts show it necessary to defend myself at night, anything coming down the hallway to my bedroom will be full of buckshot.  No need for any of the extra BS.

A tactical shotgun is a shoulder fired/aimed fire weapon, it isn't a point and spray fire hose. For a home defense set up go with a shorter stock, not a pistol grip as its a much safer platform. You'll get better penatration with 00 BS vs. #4 BS but given a choice I'd choose slugs. Go with a weapon mounted light and a cylinder bore barrel no more than 20" long. Additionally invest in a tactical shotgun training course because bird and rabbit SG shooting isn't anything like defensive shooting. Now if your still fixated on using something with a pistol grip then but another handgun and then take a defensive HG course.
  • Like 1

I have a 20" Mossberg 590 with a pistol grip speed feed stock and rifle sights, that I keep 00 buck loaded in. Great shotgun!!!  Very comfortable to handle and I find it very maneuverable.  I am not a fan of pistol grip only scatterguns.  If I am not going to shoulder the weapon, I like to tuck the butt stock under my arm.  I find that it is easier to control and it's much easier to get off a second shot with more accuracy.

As for the safety, it is a bit harder to get to.  You have to change the way you grip, but I can still get to the trigger after I push the safety off.

And the best thing about the 590 is you can mount a bayonet on it!  I have one of those too! :)  Yeah, I'm tacticool!!! LOL!

For the typical low round count, static home defense situation, a shotgun is a great tool.  In a moving, running gun battle against multiple assailants, a shotgun is, indeed, one of the more difficult weapons platforms.  Trainers sticking ARs in the hands of novice shooters telling them they are easier than a shotgun scare me a bit......and it's getting much more common.  

• Like 1

I hate to bust bubbles. 'Ya all need to pattern oo buck at a distance equal to the distance you would shoot an intruder inside your house. After seeing the group I think you would agree with me that you would be better off with a pistol.

???

Process your info.  2 inch spread at 5 yards.   5 yards is 15 feet.   If I shot on the extreme diagonal across the rooms in my home, that is about 15 feet.   Being anywhere else in the room, shooting the doorway, its going to be 10 feet or so.   2 inch spread is about the best we can hope for inside the home then.   That is less than impressive --- its brutal for an aimed chest shot centered on the heart or nose, absolutely.    But its nothing like the point in the general direction effect you get at 25 yards.   

The spread is less than impressive for home defense use.  It can safely be ignored in favor of using slugs. 

But the shotgun VASTLY outperforms a pistol, so that part of the comment is strange.   Hmm, a 100 grain bullet making a 30-35 caliber hole or a 400-500 grain bullet making a 70 caliber hole?  Physics is physics, and the momentum of a shotgun slug is impressive ... I have seen them go clean thru logs and backstops that stop a 9mm cold.

can't see any reason to convert to a pistol, but the spread is not the reason to use the shotgun at short ranges.  Its the momentum.  As for shooting fast.. I can shoot 2 or 3 from my shotgun as fast as a pistol and do about as well for accuracy at 10 feet.   I can jam the shotty in my hip and fire 10 in 7 or so seconds all hitting the torso of the intruder.   My hip won't thank me, but Ive done this, and I find the results to be acceptable.   There are times when the pistol's small size and higher capacity will win the day, sure.   Thankfully,  I have both on hand.

Edited by Jonnin