Baltimore in the hot seat now!!!!!

For those unfamiliar with internal investigations of police or for that matter any public employee...

http://www.garrityrights.org/garrity-warnings.html

The way it's supposed to work is if your interviewed you answer and if actionable information sustains disciplinary action or determines same it can be used. It's not admissible in court for criminal prosecution but the Fed's will use it where they can. A prudent IA Investigator will move very carefully in handling an officer facing criminal charges. This is where you see a State Law Enforcement Agency such as the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation requested to conduct the investigation.   

I've been following this story today. Lots of peaceful protesters out and about. There are also lots of reports of citizens out cleaning their neighborhoods. I hope that these stories get looped as many times as the CVS fire.

I had to chuckle last night when, on Channel 8 news (I only watch because Amanda Hara is so danged hot) the anchors said something to the effect of 'even though the curfew has been in effect for about an hour, now, people are still rioting...'  They then cut to a shot of a street in Baltimore that was entirely empty except for two police officers standing on the sidewalk and a couple of official-looking vehicles driving by.  The anchors continued with '...well, obviously not in this shot but they are still rioting, elsewhere.'

• Like 1

drug user, drug dealer, have several warrants outstanding.  runs from police. heard this on fox news channel.   falls off fence while running.  get hurts while running.  heard this on talk radio.   but it is not his fault.  here were go again, it is going to be a long hot summer. 

drug user, drug dealer, have several warrants outstanding.  runs from police. heard this on fox news channel.   falls off fence while running.  get hurts while running.  heard this on talk radio.   but it is not his fault.  here were go again, it is going to be a long hot summer.

Well, keep in mind that the police have admitted that he wasn't buckled in when being transported in the back of their van/truck. That is not in doubt and is a violation of their departmental regulations. He was probably bounced around inside the vehicle. This is apparently intentionally done often enough that there is a cutesy term for it called giving a suspect a 'rough ride'. Baltimore police have lost cases where suspects were injured when given 'rough rides' in the past. Even if his original injuries were from falling off the fence the 'rough ride' could have exacerbated them - and that is if the injuries weren't actually caused by the 'rough ride'.

So, yeah, if the 'rough ride' or anything else those officers did resulted in or contributed to the suspect's death then there has to be some accountability.
  • Like 2

One thing is for sure. The changes we are seeing in our society in our lives is like a snowball rolling down a steep hill. They are happening faster all the time and getting bigger at the same time.

And to that I say YES, I hear Merle too everytime I watch these idiots on tv :) Edited by FUJIMO
There's gotta be more to this story. In this day and age why would police officers do anything to risk another Ferguson incident? Now stories are saying Freddie Grey may have tried to hurt himself in the police van.

Either way, his death was not tragic and I'm getting real tired of seeing cops and whites being trashed. What shitty, uncomfortable times we are living in.

Now stories are saying Freddie Grey may have tried to hurt himself in the police van.

Hmm...let's give the "he may have tried to hurt himself" story an old fashioned smell test.

The prisoner, who is currently in jail, was separated from Gray by a metal partition and could not see him. His statement is contained in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The document, written by a Baltimore police investigator, offers the first glimpse of what might have happened inside the van. It is not clear whether any additional evidence backs up the prisoner’s version, which is just one piece of a much larger probe.

The prisoner, who is in jail, could not be reached for comment. No one answered the phone at his house, and an attorney was not listed in court records.

So...this is a leaked story, to a major newspaper- which guarantees the story will be re-posted/linked/shared by the traditional media and blogosphere alike.  It was written by the police and can't be confirmed by the "witness" or anybody who might have had contact with him since then...

...call me skeptical.

Either way, his death was not tragic and I'm getting real tired of seeing cops and whites being trashed.

He was in police custody when he died.  The Baltimore Police Commissioner already admitted to flaws in the way he was handled.   I don't care how long is rap sheet was, they were responsible for his safety.  If we can't get it in us to be upset when someone dies in police custody because of intentional or incompetent conduct, we have a problem.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 5

Hmm...let's give the "he may have tried to hurt himself" story an old fashioned smell test.

The prisoner, who is currently in jail, was separated from Gray by a metal partition and could not see him. His statement is contained in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The document, written by a Baltimore police investigator, offers the first glimpse of what might have happened inside the van. It is not clear whether any additional evidence backs up the prisoner’s version, which is just one piece of a much larger probe.

The prisoner, who is in jail, could not be reached for comment. No one answered the phone at his house, and an attorney was not listed in court records.

So...this is a leaked story, to a major newspaper- which guarantees the story will be re-posted/linked/shared by the traditional media and blogosphere alike.  It was written by the police and can't be confirmed by the "witness" or anybody who might have had contact with him since then...

...call me skeptical.

He was in police custody when he died.  The Baltimore Police Commissioner already admitted to flaws in the way he was handled.   I don't care how long is rap sheet was, they were responsible for his safety.  If we can't get it in is to be upset when someone dies in police custody because of intentional or incompetent conduct, we have a problem.

I am not going to try to defend the police because not enough is known for me to make an educated decision on this issue.  But no matter how he died, these riots have little to do with it and more to do with getting away with stealing, burning and just being an A$$.  I don't know if the leaked story is true, or as with the "hands up" it was completely made up but all this should not be happening until a definitive report is given.  If the report exonerates the police or if they are found responsible and are not properly punished then there may a reason to protest, not riot, and possibly ask for an independent investigation to be conducted then.  As with the Brown incident, so much damage could of been avoided if they would just wait for all the facts to come out before going all ape poop on the community.

Poor Mexicans :cry:

With the blacks and gays off the table, they're going to be the only ones left that it's ok to discriminate against.

Hey man, anybody who'll put a roof on your house & mow your yard in the daytime, then cook you a plate a nachos later that night at your favorite restaurant can't be all that bad!!  

• Like 1

I am not going to try to defend the police because not enough is known for me to make an educated decision on this issue.  But no matter how he died, these riots have little to do with it and more to do with getting away with stealing, burning and just being an A$$.  I don't know if the leaked story is true, or as with the "hands up" it was completely made up but all this should not be happening until a definitive report is given.  If the report exonerates the police or if they are found responsible and are not properly punished then there may a reason to protest, not riot, and possibly ask for an independent investigation to be conducted then.  As with the Brown incident, so much damage could of been avoided if they would just wait for all the facts to come out before going all ape poop on the community.

Aside from the not so casual reminder to the government that people can and will rise up, the riots serve no purpose.  I'm not supporting them, but I am supporting those people who took to the streets in legitimite protest.

If I was living under the heavy handed thumb of the police state like minorities in big cities are, I wouldn't be standing by quietly for the same old "sweep it under the rug" once the media attention dies down treatement either.  Government needs to know people are watching.

• Like 2