Colt files for Bankruptcy

Meh, the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be.

Worn out tooling used by lazy worthless people who don't care about what they make. Screw 'em. Samuel Colt would vomit at the sight of what they've done to his name. I will say the same thing I said about GM. Let them die. I can GAURANTEE you someone will be happy to fill the void.

What do you bet, Fabrique Nationale would be happy to fill those government contracts??? Our troops already use a lot of FN stuff. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Some large corporation will buy them up and keep them floating. Similar to Freedom Group/Cerebus

Ohh yeah, let the Freedom Dbags have at 'em.  No one knows how to F up a gun company like them remington boys.  I'm sure they'll be turning out Taurus quality turds with Python stamped on them lickety split.  

Honestly, is the name so valuable we would do to them what they did to Marlin?  pppfffftt.  

• Like 2

Colt messed up big time by basically ignoring the civilian market while their pockets were being filled with uncle sams moola...Now that uncle sam dropped them as their small arms supplier in favor of Remington, they were left with nowhere to peddle their wares with an already booming civilian market...

• Like 2

I would be willing to bet that S&W will bail them out. Back in the early days and I means the days of the Peace Maker Colt and Wesson were fierce competitors and colt came out on top. You can bet the W in S&W would love to rub Colts nose in it even after all this time. Some bad tastes never go away and this would be Wesson's opportunity to beat Colt up bad....................jmho

Worn out tooling used by lazy worthless people who don't care about what they make. Screw 'em. Samuel Colt would vomit at the sight of what they've done to his name. I will say the same thing I said about GM. Let them die. I can GAURANTEE you someone will be happy to fill the void.

What do you bet, Fabrique Nationale would be happy to fill those government contracts??? Our troops already use a lot of FN stuff.

As far as using worn out tooling, that's not true.  The 1911s Colt is now producing are all CNC machined.  They're pretty nice too.  Lots of issues with Colt, but building poor quality firearms isn't quite true anymore, at least not the ones I've seen.

• Like 1

The latest makes of Python and SAA came out of the Colt Custom Shop, which in my humble opinion was the best thing Colt had going for itself. W/O doubt someone will buy them but who and what they'll do to an already decimated company is something to ponder. Colt could easily be made profitable by moving the manufacturing to a more firearms friendly state. Retooling with all new CNC, improved foundries and a non union shop will make profitability achievable. Reopening the Custom Shop in a new facility will bring them renewed credibility. Its my personal opinion the Police Positive and Detective Special could be reintroduced and be immediately popular if improved to take +p or +p+ 38 Special.   

• Like 1

What do you bet, Fabrique Nationale would be happy to fill those government contracts??? Our troops already use a lot of FN stuff.

Tell us how you really feel..

I have a LE6920, LE6940, LE6945 upper, LE901 and a M16A1, someone cared to build them and I was willing to spend my hard earned money for them, the last item our troops use everyday. 

YMMV

• Like 1

Samuel Colt would vomit at the sight of what they've done to his name.

While you are likely correct, unless I am mistaken this isn't the first time Colt has gone bankrupt.  Again, unless I am mistaken, the first time was when Samuel Colt, himself, was still running the company.

• Like 1

As far as using worn out tooling, that's not true.  The 1911s Colt is now producing are all CNC machined.  They're pretty nice too.  Lots of issues with Colt, but building poor quality firearms isn't quite true anymore, at least not the ones I've seen.

I'd sure like to see how they manufacture a monolithic upper on worn out tooling..

I'm with the others, their name is too valuable to let it die. Someone will acquire them to keep the name alive. Just some paperwork is all.

Just a pipe dream but it would be cool if Ronnie Barrett bought them out, he's rich but probably doesn't have that much money. I don't remember anything NEW, products or inovation comming from Colt in a long time like some kind of polymer framed, striker fired handgun or light weight carry revolvers to compete with other companies. Maybe some real compact 9mm's or .380 besides that Mustang.

I want to feel badly for them, but can't.  Companies hire the wrong leaders from time to time.  In the case of Colt, they make poor hiring decisions almost every time and have been doing so for decades.

Such a laundry list:

no money put into R&D

agreeing to gun control policies

Taking on massive levels of debt, while spending nothing on R&D

Their unionized workers going on strike for 5 years

and the list goes on and on and on and on..........