Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate

I don't wish to leave the country, but the thought of hitting the reset button on our government sounds more appealing by the day.

I agree 100%. Something has to give and running away from the problem is NOT the answer. It doesn't take courage to run away and leave problems behind. It takes real courage to stay and fix those problems. That's part of what's wrong with Mexico.

One of my biggest problems with my fellow conservatives in this country is that they are more idealistic than the liberals. It's rare the left stays home during an election to teach their party a lesson, but we saw the right do it 2 elections in a row. We can't reset the government if that many people withdraw from the process.

• Like 1

I've lived in a few other countries. Given the right opportunity, I'd do so again. I don't know that I'd want to make it a very long term arrangement, but a few years would be OK by me, in the right place.

+1 to Costa Rica pricing itself out of the expat market lately. Nicaragua was looking good for a while, but I'd have to have a "get out and fast" plan all lined up for that one. It's not the Nicaragua of the 1980s, but it's not exactly rock stable either. Belize has the advantage of being an official English-speaking country, but given that many people under 50 in Latin America speak English, it wouldn't be so bad. An expat would pick up Spanish pretty quick. It's one of the easier languages to learn. Anywhere in Asia would be much harder to transition too. Languages are drastically different as are most alphabets, and as backwards as some of the Central American countries are, they're the Ritz Carlton compared to much of SE Asia.

Agreed that living abroad is totally different than renouncing citizenship. I'd live in a lot of places and visit more than that, but I'll always keep my blue passport.

Edited by monkeylizard
Patriots are a special breed. There are still a lot but unfortunately being a loud mouth always whining about something is more popular.

Their numbers are BS. People aren’t going to leave this country. I’m frustrated with people like Obama also; but I’m not going to let him or those threatening an overthrow change how I feel about my county, or cause me to leave. We have a system for change in place and that’s how it will work.
  • Like 2

I have always felt that if your so unhappy here, get the #### out. Just leave your passport at the door, no round trip tickets. If 35% think the grass is so much greener somewhere else, then go! and this goes for anyone wanting to join ISIS. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of these people that are never happy with their lives, no matter how much we give them. I say take a lesson from Mexico and send them where ever they want to go. Just as long as they don't come back here when they find out what the real world is like.

End of rant. :rant: Have a Great 4th of July :usa:

Doesn't "more than 2,000 people" seem like a rather small sample size to claim 35% of Americans want to leave?

you are not suppose to read that part.  Right now someone over there is yelling 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjn0Yw0mxuk

I think that some of you guys are confusing "willing to live and work in another country" with "AMERICA SUCKS AND I WANT TO LEAVE!" We're in a global economy where opportunities often mean relocation, especially in certain fields. If the question is "Are you willing to move outside of the USA?" then that's very different from "Do you want to leave the USA?". This survey is asking the former, not the later.

• Like 1

Most Americans are spoiled and have ZERO clue how well they have it here. To many a crisis is when their internet goes down for a few hours or they have sold out of their favorite Frap at Starbucks. People think it is an emergency, and call 911, when the food they ordered is wrong. They have no clue what it is like to wonder where the next meal is going to come from. The United States is the ONLY country in the world where our "poor" are fat, have cell phones and cars to drive.

But with that being said it is no wonder people want to leave. We have not seen such a great divide among our citizens since the civil war close to 150 years ago. And those divides are by race, by income as well as by religion. We have certain groups openly calling for the death of other groups, even children, and the authorities do NOTHING as long as you are a certain color. And what is truly sickening is that OUR government that is charged with protecting its citizens supports, and even encourages, it. Some are taken away to be punished for what they say while others are not and it appears as though the only difference between the two are the color of the skin. The Black Panthers have recently called for the killing of white babies in hospitals, which is not only racists but also criminal, and NOTHING was done yet there is a national outrage over a flag the supposedly represents white racism in America. What is truly ironic is that we, as a country, are too politically correct to be able to say we are too politically correct.

I would love to live in a country where people can be free to do what they want without fear. The United States used to be that country but not anymore. The federal government is using its power to control, and even harm, those that are critical of it. We cannot do ANYTHING anymore without the government's permission and if we try we are punished. People in the United States are afraid, afraid of the government whose primary responsibility is to protect them. We are being ruled by an elite oligarchy that controls every aspect of ALL of our lives and our only role in it all is to be good citizens to our masters. If we question their authority they will make us criminals as adults, medicate us as children or label us as terrorists. What is the definition of tyranny again?

The land of the free and home of the brave I fought for is no more. What we have now is probably the most corrupt government on the face of earth.

• Like 5

I've spent time in several countries  and always been grateful to return to the USA and TN.  There's a reason much of the world is trying to get into the USA.  Those who don't understand it are free to leave at anytime.

Edited by tnhawk

The land of the free and home of the brave I fought for is no more. What we have now is probably the most corrupt government on the face of earth.

That may be, but we can change that. How many people that would call themselves Patriots or say they love their country; did not vote in the elections? The vote is more powerful than any gun you own.

But once Obama or Hillary gives the vote to those that are now illegals; that option is done. I believe Obama will try that before he leaves office; he is trying everything he can to destroy this country.
  • Like 1

I was stationed in Germany for 2 years.  Yea, it was fun driving 200kmh on the autobahn and having a beer with my big mac, but everything was expensive.  Great place to visit but I wouldn't renounce my citizenship to live there.   Although I might consider Belize.... for retirement. ;)

I was stationed in Germany for 2 years.  Yea, it was fun driving 200kmh on the autobahn and having a beer with my big mac, but everything was expensive.  Great place to visit but I wouldn't renounce my citizenship to live there.   Although I might consider Belize.... for retirement. ;)

That's just it. Nobody said anything about renouncing citizenship in the survey. The question is simply, would you live abroad?

If offered a good job in your field with enough of a pay raise to offset the increased cost of living, would you take a job in Germany? What if the pay raise was substantially more than the increased cost of living? I know I would consider taking that, but not because I hate America and want to leave.

That may be, but we can change that. How many people that would call themselves Patriots or say they love their country; did not vote in the elections? The vote is more powerful than any gun you own.

But once Obama or Hillary gives the vote to those that are now illegals; that option is done. I believe Obama will try that before he leaves office; he is trying everything he can to destroy this country.

I vote in every election I can. I make phone calls, send emails and talk to people because that is a lot easier than the alternative. Plenty of people think, not you, they want a revolution or civil war but I do not, at least not while every single other option has been exhausted. There is nothing patriotic or heroic about killing your fellow countrymen. I will say that we have a lot less options than we did just 10 years ago but if we can just come together against Hillary, and not for this candidate or that candidate, maybe we can ward off the collapse for a few more years.

This election is not going to be like any we have seen before. Hillary, and the liberal machine that supports her, will probably outspend the top five conservative candidates combined. We will see Hillary everywhere. She has a goal of 2.5 billion dollars, twice as much as Obama. Then throw into the mix the fanatic followers of hers, the liberals, and 1/2 the conservatives refusing to vote and we have no hope. And even if there was a chance for the conservative candidate to win that will quickly be taken away by the voter fraud and the illegals that were given voting rights months or weeks before the election.

I honestly believe that no matter how much the conservatives spend or how many of us get behind a conservative candidate Hillary will take this election. And the most dangerous time in our nation's history will be the time between election day and the day Hillary takes office. Obama will have 80 days of no accountability to do as much damage as possible as President. And knowing that Hillary is right behind him he will do a lot more. And she will just continue what was started but with much more vigor.

That's just it. Nobody said anything about renouncing citizenship in the survey. The question is simply, would you live abroad?

If offered a good job in your field with enough of a pay raise to offset the increased cost of living, would you take a job in Germany? What if the pay raise was substantially more than the increased cost of living? I know I would consider taking that, but not because I hate America and want to leave.

Depends for how long.  A year or two? Maybe.  10 years? No.

I had an opportunity to work in Iraq for a lot more money than I make now.  I passed.  I like being alive. 

• Like 1

Most Americans are spoiled and have ZERO clue how well they have it here. To many a crisis is when their internet goes down for a few hours or they have sold out of their favorite Frap at Starbucks. People think it is an emergency, and call 911, when the food they ordered is wrong. They have no clue what it is like to wonder where the next meal is going to come from. The United States is the ONLY country in the world where our "poor" are fat, have cell phones and cars to drive.

But with that being said it is no wonder people want to leave. We have not seen such a great divide among our citizens since the civil war close to 150 years ago. And those divides are by race, by income as well as by religion. We have certain groups openly calling for the death of other groups, even children, and the authorities do NOTHING as long as you are a certain color. And what is truly sickening is that OUR government that is charged with protecting its citizens supports, and even encourages, it. Some are taken away to be punished for what they say while others are not and it appears as though the only difference between the two are the color of the skin. The Black Panthers have recently called for the killing of white babies in hospitals, which is not only racists but also criminal, and NOTHING was done yet there is a national outrage over a flag the supposedly represents white racism in America. What is truly ironic is that we, as a country, are too politically correct to be able to say we are too politically correct.

I would love to live in a country where people can be free to do what they want without fear. The United States used to be that country but not anymore. The federal government is using its power to control, and even harm, those that are critical of it. We cannot do ANYTHING anymore without the government's permission and if we try we are punished. People in the United States are afraid, afraid of the government whose primary responsibility is to protect them. We are being ruled by an elite oligarchy that controls every aspect of ALL of our lives and our only role in it all is to be good citizens to our masters. If we question their authority they will make us criminals as adults, medicate us as children or label us as terrorists. What is the definition of tyranny again?

The land of the free and home of the brave I fought for is no more. What we have now is probably the most corrupt government on the face of earth.

We've got so many rights, they have superceded freedom. Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1
If there was somewhere else to go, I'd go in a heartbeat. As it is, there ain't. Despite all the BS current goings on, this is still the best country the earth has to offer. So, until someone builds a new place rooted in true liberty, heres where I stay.

If there's a new way
I'll be the first in line
But it better work this time
Peace sells, but who's buyin'
Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

If there was somewhere else to go, I'd go in a heartbeat. As it is, there ain't. Despite all the BS current goings on, this is still the best country the earth has to offer. So, until someone builds a new place rooted in true liberty, heres where I stay.

If there's a new way
I'll be the first in line
But it better work this time
Peace sells, but who's buyin'

I moved from Maryland to Tennessee to get to free America.  You think you have it bad in TN you should try living in states like Maryland, and New York.

Thanks

Robert