A stark realization at the office today.....

As we were having a dinner for two of my friends/ co workers today for their retirement, it was pointed out to me that except for one older fella, whose only there because no one has taken the time and trouble to get rid of him, it was pointed out to me that I've now been there longer than anyone else.

It seems like just a few days ago, I showed up one February morning. Looking around, most of the guys reminded me of my grandfather.

Man, life sure sneaks upon ya.

I'll certainly miss these guys, and the knowledge they'd amassed, along with the many that have left before them. I don't think I'll be able to fill their shoes.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 7
Yeah and someone else is thinking, except for two older fellas that are here only because no one has taken the time or trouble to get rid of them, I have been there longer than anyone else.

Yes it sad when you get a new employee or co worker that is as old as your own children.
Try this one. My wife comes home pissed one day because her boss of less than a year sets her down and tells her how great of a job she does and he only wishes that she had taken the time to go to college and get some kind of degree. She kindly stands up and informs him that she has the same business degree with the same minor in accounting from the same university as he does and the only difference is she got hers before he was born and walked out and back to her office. Poor guy couldn't be more nicer to her if he tried.

Man, life sure sneaks upon ya.

Nah, it's right there, staring back from the mirror every morning. Always has been.

And usually, it's not a pretty sight.  :eek:

( I suspect none of us ever really feel old until we slow down enough to actually notice all the wrinkles, bags, and gray hair... )

I have to admit though, it's pretty shocking sometimes, to be thinking about some event I remember as clearly as yesterday... then realize there's 20, 30, or even 40 years between then and now.

...at least until I start remembering how much other crap fits in between here and there.

Edited by OldHat63

Try this one. My wife comes home pissed one day because her boss of less than a year sets her down and tells her how great of a job she does and he only wishes that she had taken the time to go to college and get some kind of degree. She kindly stands up and informs him that she has the same business degree with the same minor in accounting from the same university as he does and the only difference is she got hers before he was born and walked out and back to her office. Poor guy couldn't be more nicer to her if he tried.

That is funny!

I love people who really think that the sheep skin on the wall really makes one either smart or dumb it one doesn't have it. I have the school of hard knocks and learned it the way it sticks by having your hands on it. You can read books or Ebooks all you want, but until you wrap your hands around a wrench or hammer or scapel or whatever, you are not going to be very good at it. I don't look down on people because they have degrees hanging on their walls, but I don't think this automatically makes them smart either.

• Like 1

Wait until the day comes when you find out where grumpy old men come from. One day your sitting in the recliner and think of something that needs done. So you say to yourself I'll just go do that it'll only take a minute. Then you try to get up and your 60 something year old  body says sit down dumb a_ _, where do you think you're going.  :shake:

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

Wait until the day comes when you find out where grumpy old men come from. One day your sitting in the recliner and think of something that needs done. So you say to yourself I'll just go do that it'll only take a minute. Then you try to get up and your 60 something year old  body says sit down dumb a_ _, where do you think you're going.  :shake:

You just ain't whistling Dixie.newlaugh.gif

It ain't the years, it's the miles. When I was 24 years old I was a senior lead technician at an equipment dealer responsible for training all of our new hires. I felt old then, and time hasn't made it much better.

Worked a ranch a little while back, there was a gentleman in his late 70's or early 80's still riding a horse and roping out calves. Here's hoping we all should be so fortunate...

It ain't the years, it's the miles. When I was 24 years old I was a senior lead technician at an equipment dealer responsible for training all of our new hires. I felt old then, and time hasn't made it much better.

Worked a ranch a little while back, there was a gentleman in his late 70's or early 80's still riding a horse and roping out calves. Here's hoping we all should be so fortunate...

I like to believe most of aging is mental. That's why I strive for childishness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I know the feeling, been there done that...

I hope I don't get laughed off this forum but. I always thought time was speeding up the older I got, or so it seemed. And I have been scientifically proven right! Time is not linear or constant, it's a forth dimension and is different for each of us, it has been measured and absolutely proven in a variety of ways. 

Your time is unique and personal. Your time is affected by your speed, gravity, altitude, who's watching it from where, and your perception. It makes for a fascinating study.

Combine that with the "scientific measured fact over time" the speed of light is not a constant of 186,000 MPS and has been slowing down over TIME, and you have some very interesting controversy the mainstream evolutionists can't explain and they forgo the facts to fit their beliefs and theories. 

I have a high school education and the rest of my education came from hands on working. Back in the mid 80's I was employed at Brentwood Shell as mechanic when shell made the decision that all dealers had to get their mechanics ASE certified in 90 days. My boss went and purchased all the books he could find and passed them out to the mechanics for them to study so they could pass the tests. When he got to me and offered the books I just smiled and said thanks Rhea but I won't need them for the test. He said, Are you sure and I said yea. Test day comes and we go to Hillsboro High school to take the exam. The director was asking each person which tests they wanted to take to qualify for certification. When he ask me I said I was going for the Master and he looked at me and said that he has only had 2 other people try that test and both failed it but got certified on a few of the tests they took. I said well, maybe I can pass a few of them but he handed me the Master test. We had 4 hours to finish the test in. I got up in about 3 hours and walked up and handed in my test and left and went to get a snack and bottle of water.

The director met me in the hall way about 3 minutes later and was smiling. He looked at me and said congratulations. was the first person he had ever had to get a grade of 95 on a Master exam for ASE that he had given. I took all 9 exams in one test and got an over all 95. About two weeks later we got our plaques and mine said ASE Master Technician on it. I also got all 9 patches to have to sew on my shirt along with the big patches to so on that said ASE Master Certified. That was the only patch I had put on my uniform shirts. I didn't want all the bars down the sleeves.

Rhea, my boss came out to the shop and ask me to come to his office. I did and he said he was going to give me a raise on my Commission bonus we got each month which was a percentage we made each month. Everyone else including myself got 3% of our gross earnings each month over and above our hourly wage we earned each week. He raised me to 5% for being a Master Tech.

I Credit all my education to the school of hard knocks cause except for reading. writing and math I don't use anything else I learned in school....................jmho

• Like 1

Happened to me about % years ago. The oldest man in the shop retired and suddenly I was the oldest man in the shop.  :dropjaw: Where did the time go?

:shrug:

Only Mike had been there longer than me and he came when he was in his early 20s. I retired last year.  Mike and I have discussed how much things have changed over the years. He is now the last remaining member of the crew that was there when I started. We both found it strange to look around at all the young faces in the place now. I talked to him not long ago and he says the shop is like a whole different place now. Who are these people, where did they come from and why are they so young?  He's pulling the plug next year and says he can't wait.