Regal movie theaters begin searching bags

I can guarantee anyone set on doing harm to others will just shoot the bag checker in the face before submitting to a bag search. All this created is a super safe place for criminals to commit crimes against others.

I really, really wish one of many victims who were hurt at these gun free zones would sue the property owner. Even if they don't win the cost would eventually eat away at the gun buster signs on the doors.

http://wate.com/2015/08/19/regal-movie-theaters-begin-bag-search-policy/

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — The next time you plan to see the newest blockbuster on the big screen, you might want to leave a little early. If the movie theater is owned by Regal Entertainment Group, you’ll probably be subject to a bag check.

“All they did was open and look. They didn’t actually go through it,” said movie-goer Jay Weinisch. He and his wife Dawn first noticed the new policy earlier this month.

“Two weeks ago we were here. I was surprised, but, it was perfectly fine with me.” said Dawn Weinisch outside the Regal Columbus Stadium 12 at Town Center in Virginia Beach. “I thought they were looking for the water bottle and they were going to take it away!”

Ticket takers were not, of course, looking for Weinisch’s water bottle, but they were looking for something else. A sign on the window at the ticket counter reads: “For the safety and comfort of all our guests: backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to entry into this facility.”

“[With] the recent news, I expected it to be sooner than this,” one movie-goer said.

Regal Entertainment Group owns about 600 theaters nationwide, and several in Hampton Roads. The full policy on their website reads:

Backpacks/Packages/Bags:
Security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America. Regal Entertainment Group wants our customers and staff to feel comfortable and safe when visiting or working in our theatres. To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to admission. We acknowledge that this procedure can cause some inconvenience and that it is not without flaws, but hope these are minor in comparison to increased safety.

Some on the Regal Columbus Stadium 12 Facebook page claim the new policy is turning them away. One comment called the policy unjust and unfriendly to law-abiding citizens.

“Will not, under any circumstances, return to a Regal theater since you instituted the bag search policy,” one person wrote.

Another poster said, “Do you guys want to go out of business? Hassling women to check their purses?”

“I understand that, but I think it would be nice if people didn’t have guns in the movie theaters,” Jay Weinisch said. “I don’t think it’s that much to ask.”

On it’s website, Regal Entertainment Group acknowledges that the policy could be an inconvenience, but says they hope it is a minor issue compared to increased safety.

“I think that anything that will protect the citizens, people should have the patience to go through that,” Shirley Wilkie said.

• Like 3

Can anyone tell me which active shooter in any of the movie theater shootings was a woman? No where in the article did I see where they were searching men for guns yet every shooter has been male. Just goes to show how STUPID smart people think. I have no plans of ever going to another theater when I can watch the movies in the comfort of my living room and save a lot of money doing so..........jmho

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me which active shooter in any of the movie theater shootings was a woman? No where in the article did I see where they were searching men for guns yet every shooter has been male. Just goes to show how STUPID smart people think. I have no plans of ever going to another theater when I can watch the movies in the comfort of my living room and save a lot of money doing so..........jmho

Be sure to pour a Coke on your floor the day before so it's nice and sticky, plus you have to leave the movie running when you get up to pee. No pausing allowed. When you get back, you have to interrupt anyone else in the room by saying "what did I miss?" That gives you the full movie theater experience at home. It helps if you empty an entire 12 pack of Coke into a plastic bucket and drink it all during the previews.

• Like 2

Honestly, I thought most people carry in a holster.  If they were to check my backpack, they may find a laptop or a phone, certainly both potentially dangerous in the wrong hands, but they'd miss my gun completely.  Not that it impacts me at all.  Hollywood hasn't made a movie in years that I've been willing to pay to see.

• Like 2

Maybe we can get the Government to set up a group of "out of work hamburger flippers" as security for the theaters. We can call it

TSA (Theater Security Administration). Oh never mind, they used them all up at the airports. :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Moderators

Be sure to pour a Coke on your floor the day before so it's nice and sticky, plus you have to leave the movie running when you get up to pee. No pausing allowed. When you get back, you have to interrupt anyone else in the room by saying "what did I miss?" That gives you the full movie theater experience at home. It helps if you empty an entire 12 pack of Coke into a plastic bucket and drink it all during the previews.

You also forgot about going out and buying popcorn equal to your hourly pay, putting it in as big a bucket you can find, and then drenching it in about 1-2 cups worth of fake butter. Then you get to drop about 1/3 of all of it on the floor.

• Like 1

I want to know who the hell takes a backpack to a movie anyway.  What are they doing, planning to camp.

I will still go as I enjoy movies.  Less of you means more choice of seats for me  :up:

Edited by Hozzie

I want to know who the hello takes a backpack to a movie anyway.  What are they doing, planning to camp.

I will still go as I enjoy movies.  Less of you means more choice of seats for me  :up:

Just make sure you get an isle seat so you can get out quick when the shooting starts unless your going as a Sheep Dog and planning on returning fire. Then still use an isle seat for fast exit if your not successful in stopping the shooter..........jmho

My fear is not an active shooter.. its the chance of getting headlice there.. yuck.. Movie theaters have lost its flair for me..

."Quote" Movie theaters have lost its flair for me.  Can't agree with you more Oma. I went to my last one about 3 years ago with Daughter and Son In law after they almost begged me to get out of the house and go. I went but didn't go unarmed. In fact I actually was double packing which I seldom do. Had my Mod 85 in holster and Llama in another holster. Also sat on isle seat and told kids if anything started get on the floor and I would give them cover fire to get out. They laughed but I was serious........ They have invited me to go several times since then and I have declined. Don't ever plan on going to another one...........jmho

."Quote" Movie theaters have lost its flair for me.  Can't agree with you more Oma. I went to my last one about 3 years ago with Daughter and Son In law after they almost begged me to get out of the house and go. I went but didn't go unarmed. In fact I actually was double packing which I seldom do. Had my Mod 85 in holster and Llama in another holster. Also sat on isle seat and told kids if anything started get on the floor and I would give them cover fire to get out. They laughed but I was serious........ They have invited me to go several times since then and I have declined. Don't ever plan on going to another one...........jmho

I think its been over 5 years if not longer for me. Its sad that people have to be afraid to go and enjoy the theater.but last time we went..everyone had a cell phone out.. the screens where annoying, to much talking on them and texting..I just rather sit in bed with Dolomite, havea bowl of snacks and watch it on my 60 inch TV.Plus the older I get,I get irritiated with things easier, I cant stand crowds( usualy some idiot in it)..waiting lines and and people standing to close to me..

• Like 4

Don’t these theaters have shareholders? With theaters already losing ground to the technology many of us have at home; I wouldn’t think they would be okay with searching customers. Most of us have to go through the airport; we don’t have to go to the movies.

• Like 2

I want to know who the hell takes a backpack to a movie anyway. What are they doing, planning to camp.

I will still go as I enjoy movies. Less of you means more choice of seats for me :up:

I typically have a briefcase or messenger bag if I'm on call. They checked it the last two movies I saw in Green Hills, noticed my scrubs and shoes but completely missed my pistol. One did say something about a couple cliff bars I keep in there for when I miss meals but neither noticed or mentioned my pistol due to it's concealment.

It would take a very keen eye paying much better attention then I've ever seen to even find the pocket the pistol is in when it's not on my waist.

7cd278e5c4e64a8d900caec40405cbbe.jpg
If I'm going out for movies we take the car and sit at the drive in's across the area. It's cheap, still get to see the new releases, have your own car and can carry in your own food. Gun is no problem to carry in. The only person you interrupt for having to pee is the people in the car with you

Other than the guy with the Airsoft gun, I think all the theatre shootings have been either at night or during a first weekend showing when the theatre is packed with people.

I wait until the movie has been out a couple of weeks and then attend a matinee. We arrive early and I check out the people as they come in. Usually, there's less than a half dozen people in the theatre. We only go maybe once a year, so I think the greater risk is walking to/from the car after the movie.

• Like 3

I think its been over 5 years if not longer for me. Its sad that people have to be afraid to go and enjoy the theater.but last time we went..everyone had a cell phone out.. the screens where annoying, to much talking on them and texting..I just rather sit in bed with Dolomite, havea bowl of snacks and watch it on my 60 inch TV.Plus the older I get,I get irritiated with things easier, I cant stand crowds( usualy some idiot in it)..waiting lines and and people standing to close to me..

About cell phones.........LOL. I did take a few hours one day and sat in parking lot of neighborhood Walmart just to watch folks go in and out. It is no wonder why people get robbed and assaulted in parking lots such as Walmarts. About 90% of the folks going in and out had their faces stuck in a cell phone texting or reading and had zero clues what was going on around them. They make great targets out of themselves. I had to go to Opry Mills about a month ago to get something at the Mall. People are like Zombies walking around in the mall with their faces in their cell phones and actually bumping into each other and they would look up like hey watch were your going and then stick their nose back in the phone when it was their fault for bumping into the other person in the first place. What in the hell can be that important that people are so addicted to their Cell phones. My Daughter and Son in law come and visit and they have those hand free systems around their necks so they can answer the phone the second it rings. I told both of them to turn off their cell phones before coming into my house and let their voice mail get the calls or don't stop by. I cannot visit with cell phones ringing all the time. They didn't like it but they did it...................... :up: :up:

• Like 3