Recommend a tree to plant in my front yard

musicman

Wifey and I are wanting to put something in the frontyard to make the place a little more inviting. We have a pretty steeply sloped front yard. She just wants something that blossoms, while I'd like something that may actually bear some edible fruit over time. I've done a little reading and it seems that most fruit trees (apples, etc) require lots of buddies around for pollination to produce. Is there anything that does a little better as a stand-alone?

Also, I'm wanting to keep it in the small-medium size range. Our yard isn't huge and I don't want it up agains the house in 5 years. It'll be planted about 25 feet from the front of the house.

Let's hear it!

I really llke dogwoods. They don't get too big, are nice to look at in the spring and did I mention they don't get too freak'n big? LOL I'd pick one that doesn't have any low limbs, or trim the low limbs while it's small to make mowing and trimming around it easier.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I really llke dogwoods. They don't get too big, are nice to look at in the spring and did I mention they don't get too freak'n big? LOL I'd pick one that doesn't have any low limbs, or trim the low limbs while it's small to make mowing and trimming around it easier.

We have a pink dogwood in the back yard that's 20 years old now and really isn't really all that big but the blossoms are quite remarkable in the spring.

• Like 1

If you are wanting a fruit tree, look into the apple trees that have more than one variety on them. They will self pollinate and don't get too big.   I tried planting a couple but unfortunately they didn't take, I will try again though.  A local guy gets them every once in awhile, he advertises on craigslist; here is one of his ads:

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/grd/5255794021.html

He also has a few other fruit trees and now is a good time to start looking to plant, when the tree is dormant.

You know you want a Bradford pear tree.  There are so many great  things about them.  When they spend that 3 days each spring looking pretty they will emit that lovely sewage like odor.   Their quickly growing and branching out limbs are great for hitting your head on when you mow around the tree.  In 10-15 years it will surely fall in a windstorm and bless you with an unbelievable amount of wood for a tree of its size.  It should only take 2-3 days with a good chain saw to cut it into firewood sized pieces.  Speaking of which, Bradford pear wood is hard to beat when you need a quick fire, like between the time that you get up in the morning and when you leave for work 30 minutes later, because it will only take about 15 minutes for a fully stoked fire place to burn down to nothing.  Oh, and the best part is they don't even bear any actual pears so you won't have to pick them up and they wont attract bugs and other vermin. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 6

My parents have a fig tree that would probably foot the bill in your case, not sure if it is supposed to ned pollination, but they only have one and this year it started producing too small of fruit to eat, but it is producing. I want to say we planted it maybe 3 years ago? If you like figs this could be a good way to go. I'd also recommend peaches if you are lucky enough to have another close by in the neighborhood, they do well in out zone and are delicious. Dot get too big with proper management, produce relatively quickly f yu are buying from sapling, and in our case, don't drop too much fruit too quick.

I would always recommend a fruit tree over a decorative one if you are only going to have one ,the key is finding out whats nearby so it can be pollinated. With that in mind, is 2 trees completely off the table? it's a firly minimum added expense for setup and maintenance, and it really opens your options. Cherries would satisfy both of your needs for example, beautiful blossoms and delicious fruit.

You know you want a Bradford pear tree.  There are so many great  things about them.  When they spend that 3 days each spring looking pretty they will emit that lovely sewage like odor.   Their quickly growing and branching out limbs are great for hitting your head on when you mow around the tree.  In 10-15 years it will surely fall in a windstorm and bless you with an unbelievable amount of wood for a tree of its size.  It should only take 2-3 days with a good chain saw to cut it into firewood sized pieces.  Speaking of which, Bradford pear wood is hard to beat when you need a quick fire, like between the time that you get up in the morning and when you leave for work 30 minutes later, because it will only take about 15 minutes for a fully stoked fire place to burn down to nothing.  Oh, and the best part is they don't even bear any actual pears so you won't have to pick them up and they wont attract bugs and other vermin. 

I agree 100%.  Been there and done that.  Never again!

• Like 1

Maple trees grow fast, looks good in the fall, and give great shade.  Just the roots get in the way for mowing, and those trees yield a lot of leaves to rake.

If you plan to live there for a long time, I would suggest a Oak tree, if nothing more than to represent you, your wife and your future legacy.  Maybe one for each of you, and kids.  Oaks are as American as apple pie!

I grew up working in garden centers and one of my favorite all time trees that may work in your situation is Prunus subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’. Two people that I recommended the Autumnalis Cherry to rave about its beauty twenty years later. However, it is not very common, but is without a doubt one of the most underrated trees. It does not produce edible fruit but most trees that do are not worth the hassle. Other than that, most ornamental trees, specifically cherries, you will find at reputable garden centers will do just fine.