Anybody have binoculars they love?

gregintenn

• Admin Team
I got a pair of Leopold 10x42's a couple of years ago that I've been really pleased with. They're super bright and at least as clear as some more expensive ones that I've used in the past.

Seem like I got them when Bass Pro had one of their trade in promotions going on where you bring in any old pair and get a credit back. That was a major factor in their favor before. That said, I'd buy them again at full price.
We've got a pair of Dick's house brand 10x binoc's... Field & Stream, I think. They're pretty good for relatively inexpensive optics. I compared them to several higher end models in the store and they were darn close. The $500 ones are darn nice, but not worth it for my purposes.

I got a pair of Leopold 10x42's a couple of years ago that I've been really pleased with. They're super bright and at least as clear as some more expensive ones that I've used in the past.

Seem like I got them when Bass Pro had one of their trade in promotions going on where you bring in any old pair and get a credit back. That was a major factor in their favor before. That said, I'd buy them again at full price.

Which model do you have? Mojave's? Cascade? Acadia? I like Leupold scopes. My father has a pair of Gold Ring binos, but they are no longer in production. They are nice glass.
  • Admin Team

Which model do you have? Mojave's? Cascade? Acadia? I like Leupold scopes. My father has a pair of Gold Ring binos, but they are no longer in production. They are nice glass.

Sorry, that somehow got lost in my typing.  I've got the BX-2 Acadia line.  

That's a "green ring", I think.  I remember being disappointed that they weren't being made here in the US like the Gold Ring line.

Seems like they were about $150 with the rebate.

I made a personal choice to stay in and have another piece of pie as opposed to taking part in the Black Friday madness a few years ago. My life has been better for it. I bet there will be some decent deals to be had online on field glasses, though.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I got family heading to Lafayette this week for Thanksgiving.  I'd be glad to send these over so you can try them out if you'd like.  You're welcome to take them out in the field if you like.  

My dad got a pair of the Nikon Acculon 8x24's recently.  How they got that much brightness out of a pair of glasses that small amazes me, but I wouldn't turn those down for their size (pocketable) either.  I don't know how they'd fair at either end of legal light, but they've been great when I've looked through them.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Busnells.  They are passable.  I actually picked out the deer deer that I took last weekend with them and wouldn't have seen it without them.  They are okay.  My grandmother has some Steiners, man those are some sweet glass, I have no idea what they go for but I'm sure they are not cheap. 

• Like 1

Greg....

I've got a pair of these... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/850077-REG/Kowa_YF30_8_YF_8x30_Binocular_Black.html

They work like a charm... Kowa is a great maker... I've got a pair of the little ones too 8X25 i think... These are the best "cheap" binoculars ive seen...

Check this out as well.... http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/

My opinion on binoculars was formed by a buddy of mine who sold everything from bushnell to zeiss.. He said:...."...I looked thru most all of 'em, i cant tell much difference (...except in price...)...

Hope this helps...

leroy

• Like 1
I have 2 pair of Leopolds. 8x42 BX2 Acadias that I use primarily out west.
Around here I have, use & love a pair 6x30 Yosemites
To be perfectly honest in the woods the 6x are more than enough for anything within 200yds. The 8x BX2s are clear enough that I can count antler points out to 400, but it's just too much magnification for peering into thickets 50yds away.
Any further than 400yds I'm honestly not interested round here, but for scouting & glassing out west I use a spotting scope.
  • Like 2

I have a pair of Nikon Action EX 10x50, 6.5deg. They're super bright. I mostly attribute that to the big 50mm lenses. I've glassed deer well into the twilight hours with them and been perfectly happy. They'd be good for tree stand hunting if you don't have to go a long way to get from truck to stand. They're a little large and heavy for anything else. I got them for casual stargazing and they're excellent for that. A testament to their brightness is that I have to wear sunglasses when looking at the moon with them.

I'd like to have a pair that accounts for an annoying astigmatism.  Who makes those?

Mine have adjustable eye cups. Twist them to extend/collapse them.

Edited by monkeylizard

I'd like to have a pair that accounts for an annoying astigmatism.  Who makes those?

If you are like me you can only focus one eye, even with the separate focus adjustment on one lense. Wearing glasses and looking through binoculars does not work.

I have a vortex 8x R/T monocular that I use.  2 binos that I have used in the last year stood out to me.

1) Vorex HD 10x....  I was embarrassed how much I liked that glass.  - that said, I didn't think they were worth the price to go and buy one.

2) Zeiss's Range-finding Binoculars.  -used them at a 1,000yd competition.  I could spot hits easily out to 800.

Before a couple of knee surgeries cut down on my hunting, I had a nice pair of Leica Geovid 10 X 42 rangefinding binos.  They were expensive, but well worth it where I hunted in Colorado.  They could range out to over 1200 yards.  Saved me a lot of boot leather!

Now I use a pair of Cabela's 10 X 42 Alaskan Guide Series I picked up several years ago.  Very nice glass and reasonably priced

I have an old, old Simmons 12-25x60. It's not great, the FOV sucks & it's too small for low light, but it's super clear. It's good enough for glassing into shadows to 1000yds & I'd know if there were a deer or elk in there, but I couldn't tell how many points it would have.
If I was in the market for a new one though, I honestly wouldn't look at anything under $600.
Vortex would be a good choice. I'd also probably want an 80mm lense.
I've learnt, especially with spotting scopes, that there is absolutely no such thing as cheap & good. At shooting ranges, pretty much anything will do, but if you want to know that the elk you're going to have to hike 3 miles for, losing & regaining 2000' of elevation for really is a 6x6, not a 5x5 you've already passed on, you've got to spend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I went to Cabela's tonight, and worried the sales staff to death comparing their display of binoculars. After much looking, fondling, asking questions, etc., I finally decided on the Leupold 10x42 Cascades. I was surprised to find, and my wife delighted, that I liked them better than the higher priced Leupold Mojave binos.

I wish I could have been there about dusk so I could have compared them in low light, but I think these are what I want.

I even looked at some $2000+ Swarovski's, and they were awesome! Just not two grand better than the Leupolds.

I've decided the trick in picking out binoculars is to find what you consider to be the point of diminishing returns. The most expensive models are the best, but just barely as I see it.

• Like 1

I went to Cabela's tonight, and worried the sales staff to death comparing their display of binoculars. After much looking, fondling, asking questions, etc., I finally decided on the Leupold 10x42 Cascades. I was surprised to find, and my wife delighted, that I liked them better than the higher priced Leupold Mojave binos.

I wish I could have been there about dusk so I could have compared them in low light, but I think these are what I want.

I even looked at some $2000+ Swarovski's, and they were awesome! Just not two grand better than the Leupolds.

I've decided the trick in picking out binoculars is to find what you consider to be the point of diminishing returns. The most expensive models are the best, but just barely as I see it.

Here it is my man...!  In a nutshell... Pride in ownership and "heirloom" status is for the very expensive models... Everybody makes good binoculars today... Glad ya found some binoculars ya like at a "pseudo-sensible" price... My outside limit is about 200 smacks for 'em....

leroy

• Like 1