Glock 17 or 19?

ironsniper1

im 6'1 260 so I may be able to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 5'7",190 lbs and I do.

It's not just for the extra rounds, because of course you can carry a larger mag. I like the extra barrel length for more velocity, less muzzle blast and a bit longer sight radius. Edited by Clod Stomper

I don't like either as a carry gun, both too big, I've tried them and that is just my experience and opinion.  That said I like the 17 better because  I would use a gun like that as a house gun so there would be no benefit for the smaller size for me.  Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I'll step in and be the dissenting voice.....

I personally like the 17 better. It has a longer sight radius which means easier to shoot more accurately at distance, longer grip which means easier to draw the gun quickly , it uses the full size guide rod and spring of the original design and in my experience the G17 is probably the most reliable pistol out there.

I have seen  more malfunctions with folks shooting 19s than with 17s. Now whether those were operator induced or gun induced I cannot say but I have personally witnessed more malfunctions with 19s than with 17s . Now that is still not many compared to other guns, but it is still more than I have personally witnessed with 17s. In fact when I shot the IDPA classifier for CCP I had a malfunction with my own G19 that I cannot explain...

And what I mean by cannot explain is it was not ammo related because it was quality ammo that has worked in 10 other guns, and I do not think I had a bad grip on it , did not have it come in contact with a barricade or my body to impede the slide function and I cannot pin point any other reason  for the malfunction...it simply did not fully eject the empty before the slide closed and left me with a stove pipe type malfunction with the brass trapped in the edge of the ejection port parallel (instead of perpendicular)  to the live round trying to go into the chamber.... 

If you carry IWB then the extra length of the 17 (a whole whopping .5 of an inch ) is irrelevant to concealment. 

And if you really want the shorter grip of the 19 you could always have a 17 cut down to 19 length grip and have the best of both arrangements. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

So you found the chick comment ridiculous too? Amazingly not funny... But it could be coming from someone with weak wrist who doesn't like 10mm?

Seeing how 10mm is not painted as a go to caliber for most ladies, I thought my comment was framed with humor.

Since my humor was not appreciated nor understood a swing was taken at weak wristing and not liking 10mm.

I'll accept the shot at my percieved lack of skill and knowledge, apologize for offending anyone's sensibilities and endeavor to post more politically correct attempts at humor.
  • Like 1

so i am looking online to see if there are any deals out there and i notice something that has some confused and am hoping someone can chime in, one website has some glock 19/17 but they are gen 3's, then another has gen 4's and another has gen 2's, which is good which is bad or does it not matter?

The Gen-3 is good. 

The Gen 4 has a bigger guide rod for a longer life, a bigger mag release on both sides, a shorter trigger assembly.

Earlier gen mags wont work.  Look at YouTube for trigger problems on the gen-4.  

I wanted one 9mm, I chose the gen-4 for the longer life.  A bad trigger was putting me all over the target.   

I saw a few on YouTube that polished the trigger for a dollar.

I replaced my trigger assembly with a competition kit from e-bay, about $50. 

I like the g19, but I've got about $100 less money in a Springfield XDg 45, be sure to look at it.

Edited by kcruisin
  • Administrator

Glock worked out the problems with the Gen4 a long while ago.  The current production models are good to go and have been for at least a year or two now.

In order of preference I'd go for Gen4 and then Gen3.  I'd skip Gen2.  I have several Gen3 and two Gen4 now.

• Like 1

I've owned 1st through 4th gen Glocks and much prefered the grip of the 2nd gen G-17/19 to the 3rd gen model. With that said I really like everything about the 4th gen Glock 17/19. My best recommendation is to give the 3rd and 4th gen models a runtest.

• Like 1

so i am looking online to see if there are any deals out there and i notice something that has some confused and am hoping someone can chime in, one website has some glock 19/17 but they are gen 3's, then another has gen 4's and another has gen 2's, which is good which is bad or does it not matter?

Preference for me is NO finger grooves. In a fast draw every fraction of a second counts. So the less speed bumps my fingers have to encounter the better.

I like the early glocks with one piece guide rods.
  • Like 1