Help me choose an heirloom gun.

maroonandwhite

As some of you know my dad recently passed away and I am looking to get something that will not only honor his memory but be passed down from generation to generation. I am currently thinking of something along the lines of a 1911 but am also considering a lever gun or nice bolt action. I am not terribly familiar with the 1911 platform but do plan to go put my hands on some soon. Any recommendations or suggestions on what to look for or not look for would be helpful. I do plan to shoot whatever I get and am thinking of shooting the 1911 in CDP.

1911s are really cool - not as hard to maintain or tune as I thought either (granted Im not some master Dan Wesson armorer).

I have been really impressed with my wifes Ruger SR1911 - Can be had used for under $700, it is a really sweet shooter, snug fit, anazing trigger and nothing beats SS and wooden grips and its made in the USA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Nothing screams heirloom like a Smith and Wesson revolver. A quality 1911 would be second but not by much.

I still have the first gun I hunted with on my own, an old Stevens rolling block 22. Killed a ground hog when I was probably 8. Spent the day trying to get close enough and finally got him. Although it is in really rough shape, 8 year olds don't really clean, it is the most important gun to me.
  • Like 8
I would think for an heirloom gun you would want true quality and craftsmanship. That is fairly rare in new firearm production. Custom 1911s excluded.

My first thoughts for an heirloom gun are

Vintage pre-lock blued or nickel N frame S&W
Colt 1911
Browning Hi power
Winchester lever gun
Pre 64 Winchester model 70
Winchester model 12

Maybe
Beretta 92
M1 garand
M1 carbine
1903 Springfield

Maybe something that suited your fathers tastes in firearms? Most everyone leans one way or the other as for their taste in firearms, whether it's revolvers, 1911s, shotguns, bolt guns, lever guns, whatever.

I would think for an heirloom gun you would want true quality and craftsmanship. That is fairly rare in new firearm production. Custom 1911s excluded.

My first thoughts for an heirloom gun are

Vintage pre-lock blued or nickel N frame S&W
Colt 1911
Browning Hi power
Winchester lever gun
Pre 64 Winchester model 70
Winchester model 12

Maybe
Beretta 92
M1 garand
M1 carbine
1903 Springfield

Maybe something that suited your fathers tastes in firearms? Most everyone leans one way or the other as for their taste in firearms, whether it's revolvers, 1911s, shotguns, bolt guns, lever guns, whatever.

I can tell you one thing. He loooooved Ruger.

If he loved Rugers, a 1911 doesn't make much sense. If it's to honor his memory it should be something you KNOW he would have loved.

Rugers can be made into quite classy little gals. Google Hamilton Bowen. He's in east TN and one of the finest pistol smiths on the planet. He knows more about Ruger single actions than Ruger does and that's no joke.

There are more affordable options as well, but if pops loved Rugers, and you KNOW he love Rugers, why not get a Ruger?
A smith in Franklin built the one I have but he's slower than molasses in the arctic.
IMG_0250_zpsc79c626d.jpg

I would list the characteristics of your loved one, and match those up to the gun. 

Example, was he into classics or cutting edge, did he like to hunt or shoot, was he a big man (then 45), was he rugged, or well refined.................

• Like 2

If he loved Rugers, a 1911 doesn't make much sense. If it's to honor his memory it should be something you KNOW he would have loved.

Rugers can be made into quite classy little gals. Google Hamilton Bowen. He's in east TN and one of the finest pistol smiths on the planet. He knows more about Ruger single actions than Ruger does and that's no joke.

There are more affordable options as well, but if pops loved Rugers, and you KNOW he love Rugers, why not get a Ruger?
A smith in Franklin built the one I have but he's slower than molasses in the arctic.
IMG_0250_zpsc79c626d.jpg

Seconded. Before Ruger released their Single-Seven in .327 Federal, I was considering having a Single-Six or a Blackhawk converted by him. It would have cost maybe a couple thousand bucks, but would be true heirloom quality.

BTW, he is just south of Knoxville in Louisville. I've seen him at a gun show, but that's rare.

I'm a die hard Springfield Armory fan for 1911s.  There are certainly other good ones out there, but I'm a Springfield guy.

Here's an idea.  What did your dad really like?  Did he fight in WWII?  If so an M1 Garand or 1911 would be great.  Was he a cowboy at heart, loving Gun Smoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, etc....  Then a really nice lever action or single action army.

what I love best of all are vintage military bolt actions.  One of my friends has collected K98s his whole life.  So, a Springfield 1903 would be great for me or a K98 for someone like my friend.

Was he a die hard revolver guy?  If so, a S&W revolver.

Sounds like you are leaning towards a 1911.  He loved Rugers, so one of their nicer models would be good.  

Springfield has their loaded series, many of which are in the $750 range.

One caution with the 1911.  It is hard to put the slide stop in the gun without scratching it.  Most folks, myself included, scratch it pretty well before figuring that part out.  If this gun is to go down through the generations, it will definitely get scratched.  Some people don't mind that and some do.

As some of you know my dad recently passed away and I am looking to get something that will not only honor his memory but be passed down from generation to generation. I am currently thinking of something along the lines of a 1911 but am also considering a lever gun or nice bolt action. I am not terribly familiar with the 1911 platform but do plan to go put my hands on some soon. Any recommendations or suggestions on what to look for or not look for would be helpful. I do plan to shoot whatever I get and am thinking of shooting the 1911 in CDP.

Henry Rifles will make you a custom Henry with his name as the sreial number for a very affordable price. I did this recently with my father in law for his 6 grandsons (my son included) and they were UNBELIEVABLY nice about it. They threw in custom covers for the rifle recievers AND regular ones for when they want to shoot them. If you go that route, I doubt you will regret it. If you are talking handgus--hard to beat a Colt. No man has ever said the phrase, "Oh, man. I wish I had not bought the Colt"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk