We're Back!!! Upgrade to IPBoard 4 complete!

3 hours ago, TGO David said:

People keep saying this, but the old TGO theme and the new TGO theme are almost identical in terms of colors used and the way the colors are distributed.  There is so little difference between the two it isn't even funny.

I don't understand how this seems "brighter" or more white or whatever.  I am seriously confused by this response.

This is what I see on my tablet

Screenshot_2016-05-16-11-21-59_zpsay7t1j

MY problem may be the auto selection of the mobile view.   I never cared for the mobile view in the old software so I always selected the desktop view - it was more familiar and easier on my old eyes.  I like less contrast and bigger fonts.  This mobile view just glares at me.

I tried to edit my previous post to add this info, but it wouldn't save the edited post.  Tried on both my tablet and desktop.

22 minutes ago, enfield said:

This is what I see on my tablet

Screenshot_2016-05-16-11-21-59_zpsay7t1j

It is also very bright on my iPad. Not a big deal since like "enfield" I just turn down my iPad's brightness when viewing the new TGO. 

Kudos to all involved in making the transition so smooth overall. I can't imagine the myriad of steps involved. 

4 hours ago, TGO David said:

People keep saying this, but the old TGO theme and the new TGO theme are almost identical in terms of colors used and the way the colors are distributed.  There is so little difference between the two it isn't even funny.

I don't understand how this seems "brighter" or more white or whatever.  I am seriously confused by this response.

I think there is just more white space all around, as the new look feels looser.  The area of a post seems to have increased, and it seems to me that the wood background is taking up less space than the prior version, unless you have your browser taking up the whole window.  That's all speculative...I tried to find a screen shot from the old version in the support forum, but had no luck.

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I think there is just more white space all around, as the new look feels looser.  The area of a post seems to have increased, and it seems to me that the wood background is taking up less space than the prior version, unless you have your browser taking up the whole window.  That's all speculative...I tried to find a screen shot from the old version in the support forum, but had no luck.

I'd agree with that.  There's just more white space... the dividers/borders between sections/frames are smaller and nearly white themselves.  The wood border around the edges is smaller.  Doesn't bother me, but obviously bothers some.

2 hours ago, btq96r said:

WayBack Machine, from couple months ago, puter with Windows 7

tgo-march-3.gif

tgo-march-1.gif

tgo-march-2.gif

tgo-march-4.gif

Edited by Oh Shoot
10 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Hmmm....maybe it's my eyes playing tricks.  Just seems like the new version is "different."

Well, one difference is that the TGO wood background extends all the way down on both sides of the fixed max 1180 pixel or so main area of the forum, whereas before it was only toward the top and faded to just black.

But I agree with David that the overall brightness should be the same. But I'm only using puters, maybe there's a diff on the mobile version I'm not perceiving -- Enfield's screen shot just shows all white background, with no "logo border" like with puter. Here's this post as I see it:

tgo-march-5.gif

On my phone and tablet there is very little wood to the left and right, just a sliver really, whereas on my pc I can see the logo as shown in the second screenshot.  Doesn't bother me though as I get on some sites that are either brighter or darker than others.

36 minutes ago, Omega said:

On my phone and tablet there is very little wood to the left and right, just a sliver really, whereas on my pc I can see the logo as shown in the second screenshot.  Doesn't bother me though as I get on some sites that are either brighter or darker than others.

For me I have to enlarge the font section of the screen using ctrl + more than I did the older version. As a result the "wood" disappears due to the enlarged center screen. That as a result makes it look "different" and "brighter".

I wasn't even aware of the underlying "wood" until Mac posted his screenshot.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

FWIW, I just messed around with various zoom levels.  Hitting Ctrl and - one time makes it a lot better to me. Guess I can shut up about it all now.

My problem is still with contrast because when I increase font size to a comfortable level then contrasting wood design disappears.

It ain't the end of the world...

• Moderators

I only view it through the mobile skin. I didn't even know the darker areas existed. All I see is black text on white background with light blue and light grey accents. Very bright screen. 

I agree it seems a bit bright, but I can deal with that.  I am good with the main browser view for the most part.  Not a fan of the mobile view personally.  I think my biggest issue with both is what I view as excessive white space between things.  I want to scroll as little as possible so the extra space and things like showing a legend of what hour the post was made on the left on the main browser view is a waste for me.  I can see how long ago the last post was, I don't personally need both.  

I realize this is most likely a hard function of the new version, but I don't feel like the user experience is really better.  Sometime there are too many options imo.  In the end, I will use what is available.   If Tapatalk doesn't come back, I probably won't check in as much during the day, but that won't kill me.

I suppose I would ask for one thing it would be if there is a way to have an option to condense the views.  I suspect that is a very personal choice for many, but it drives me crazy.

Edited by Hozzie
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Well I can make the font larger very easily.   Let me play with some combinations tonight.

I think increasing the font size will help tremedously.  It might ease some of the retinal burn from all the white and barely grey.

Edited by Garufa

I like the new site! I liked the previous one too (and the one before that). Each change required an adjustment period. Anytime a good website changes, it's hard to adjust to the changes at first, but soon it will feel like home again. I didn't like TapaTalk. I uninstalled it a long time ago and just used the full-site view on my phone. I felt like I missed content with TT. Most of the time I visit from my iPad anyway. I'm happy I can use emoticons on my iPad now.  They wouldn't work for me before without typing the code. :up:

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I appreciate the gratitude more than you may ever know.  This week has sucked. :)

I'm sorry to hear that it has sucked so far. You always keep things running smoothly around here and it has been no different throughout this transition. 

I'm really enjoying the new mobile screen. Unlike Tapatalk, it's actually reliable.  The little newspaper button shows all unread content, which seems to be exactly the same as the old view new posts button to me. The only thing I miss, and there may be a way to do it that I haven't found yet, is the ability to mark topics as read without reading them. With Tapatalk I could long press them and they'd go away, not sure how to do that on the mobile skin. When you're browsing on a phone, the trading post threads can create a lot of scrolling to get past. I think I can play with the content filters and set it up so that the trading post doesn't even appear in my unread posts feed, but haven't had time to mess with it yet. That would be a huge advantage over Tapatalk. It seems possible, I just need to try it. Overall I'm enjoying the upgrade. 

Two small things I've noticed, with the mobile skin I can type right off the screen. The page doesn't move down with the cursor anymore. The forum also doesn't recognize the emoji keyboard. Not sure if it ever did and not complaining, just something I noticed. Overall I think it's a big improvement. Thanks David!