Home chainsaws

I am about to buy a chainsaw. I have had a cheap Poulan for over 10 years and it finally bit the dust. I am wondering if any of you guys have any input on the Husqvarna 435 chainsaw ? It's  $269 verses around $159 for another Poulan . I cut wood for my BBQ pit a few times a year and I trim my trees once a year and we have a lot so it will get a steady workout but not continual heavy use.  Any thoughts on either ? I have a Husqvarna Weedeater and its around 4 years old with no problems.

Edited by tercel89

I ran a Poulan for a for a few years but it couldn't hold a candle to a Stihl which is pretty much the only brand I'll recommend now. I did take the time to read the reviews on the Husqvarna 435 chainsaw on Amazon. It's worth reading. FWIW I've been pleased with the Husqvarna mowers and string trimmer I bought.

• Like 1

I only use Jonsered - it's an offshoot of Husqvarna.  Stihl's are ok, but I look at a few different things when buying:

power to weight ratio

general power output

chain speed

Jonsered usually beats everyone on chain speed out of the box.  Never once had an issue with the two I've owned, the only reason I have owned two is because I sold the first one many moons ago (thinking I wouldn't need one before moving to Nashville) and had to buy a replacement a few years ago.

Just fyi.... Before I bought my Echo, I was warned off small STIHL equipment. I always thought it was the very best, but apparently their small, hobby stuff I'd pretty much Poulan quality now. You have to get into their big stuff before you get the built in Sweden quality.

1 minute ago, robtattoo said:

Just fyi.... Before I bought my Echo, I was warned off small STIHL equipment. I always thought it was the very best, but apparently their small, hobby stuff I'd pretty much Poulan quality now. You have to get into their big stuff before you get the built in Sweden quality.

It's because a lot of these companies have went from selling CA compliant engines in CA only, to making their entire product line CA compliant.  Almost all the small engine anything now is garbage because of those stupid restrictions.

My mom (she's the best!) bought me a 16" STIHL MS171 for my birthday a couple of years back.  I only used it occasionally until the end of last summer.  

My brother decided he wanted to thicken up his 150 acres to improve deer habitat, so I spent the fall, winter and spring (3 days a week 6-8 hrs a day) falling large trash trees and hinge cutting smaller trees.

After about 2 months of use it started bogging down when I would start my cut, I researched and found the the spark arrestor screen was coated with soot.  I removed it and haven't had a problem since.

I use STIHL 2 cycle oil (with 100% gas), STIHL bar oil, and STIHL chains.

I have no idea how many hours I've put on that little saw in the last year, but it's a lot.

I would buy another one.

• Like 1

I have friends in the tree business with a utility company. They swear by Husqvarna and the pro grade still stuff. I have a Jonesred which is a red Husqvarna and it's awesome.  The key to these sallow engines I've found is avoid ethanol gas at all costs. Treat them right and they last for a very long time....

• Like 4

I bought a husqvarna the same time I bought my house in 2014. It's cut down more trees than I can remember, took down the old deck with it, cleared trails on the acre + of woods I have. Lost count of how many tanks of gas have gone through it.

It's never once faltered, starts first or second pull. It's model 240, so just one size smaller than the 435. For recreational use it's  perfect.

If I was doing commercial work, I'd  probably invest in a stihl, but for working around the house the husqvarna is great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam1 said:

It's because a lot of these companies have went from selling CA compliant engines in CA only, to making their entire product line CA compliant.  Almost all the small engine anything now is garbage because of those stupid restrictions.

This.

When I got my 250 Stihl there were two versions... the old-school model and the new CA compliant EPA model. Of course I went with the evil, non-CA one :tough:

I fought with my other chainsaws for years while my grandfather''s vintage Stihl ran like a top, so I finally broke down this spring and bought my own Stihl.

Edited by Wingshooter

I have an Echo CS-305 I bought about a decade ago for general trimming and smaller trees in the yard that just won't quit. I split ownership of a stihl MS-250 with my father in law b/c neither of us need saw that big very often but it's worth it to have one in the family.

6 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

I ran a Poulan for a for a few years but it couldn't hold a candle to a Stihl which is pretty much the only brand I'll recommend now. I did take the time to read the reviews on the Husqvarna 435 chainsaw on Amazon. It's worth reading. FWIW I've been pleased with the Husqvarna mowers and string trimmer I bought.

I guess I should have mentioned that I read the reviews on the Husqvarna that I am looking at but now days there always seems to be a few idiots on the reviews that say a lot of bull crap. But there seems to be more good than bad.

5 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

I have friends in the tree business with a utility company. They swear by Husqvarna and the pro grade still stuff. I have a Jonesred which is a red Husqvarna and it's awesome.  The key to these sallow engines I've found is avoid ethanol gas at all costs. Treat them right and they last for a very long time....

Oh yeah I hear you on the ethanol gas . I stay away from that crap with all my small engines.

40 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Oh yeah I hear you on the ethanol gas . I stay away from that crap with all my small engines.

yeah the stuff is junk...

The place I normally buy non-ethanol gas for my mower/weedeater/blower/chainsaw changed its pumps around and I didn't read the signage before filling up.  After a 5 gallon can was full I noticed the "10% ethanol" sticker...  Got home, put some in my weadeater to start edging the driveway and it kept bogging down like it had lost a good 25% of its power.  Poured the rest of the jug in my truck, got some non-ethanol gas and it magically works perfectly again.

But of course... "10% ethanol won't hurt anything" :bored:

Ford vs Chevy. Stihl vs Husky. Age old discussions. Fact is I have experience with both. They both run great and last long. I have worked with professional tree fellers that prefers one or the other. Both sore by their brand.

Now, I personally prefer Stihl for a couple small reasons, like chain oiler adjustment location. Disassembly. The Husky's tend to run faster vs the same cc saw in Stihl but unless your using it tons it won't matter.

Anyone have experience with the battery chainsaws? I'd only use mine once or twice a year to take down 2 to 5 branches at a time. I'm thinking that over time, a small gas engine being used so little would start giving me trouble even with pure gasoline with PRG stabilizer. Pop Mech had some reviews not too long ago. seemed like they might be exactly what I want, if a little expensive for their size.

Anyone have experience with the battery chainsaws? I'd only use mine once or twice a year to take down 2 to 5 branches at a time. I'm thinking that over time, a small gas engine being used so little would start giving me trouble even with pure gasoline with PRG stabilizer. Pop Mech had some reviews not too long ago. seemed like they might be exactly what I want, if a little expensive for their size.

A handyman i used to use had a plug-in makita and it worked great
6 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Anyone have experience with the battery chainsaws? I'd only use mine once or twice a year to take down 2 to 5 branches at a time. I'm thinking that over time, a small gas engine being used so little would start giving me trouble even with pure gasoline with PRG stabilizer. Pop Mech had some reviews not too long ago. seemed like they might be exactly what I want, if a little expensive for their 

8 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I'd just buy a bow type handsaw and save a lot of hassle and headache.

• Like 2

I've got a 35 year old Homelite hand-me-down that runs like a top. It runs on 35:1 gas, smokes, and is loud as hell, but it runs great.  I think the newer power equipment designed to run on 50:1 or leaner ratios have such small passages that it makes them prone to getting gummed up regardless of how often they're used. 

That said, my bow saw and loppers get a lot more use for simple pruning.  Add a pole saw for tall stuff and that's really all you need. 

• Like 1