glock 17 vs. glock 19?

sam44

• Moderators

It isn't that you would necessarily lose or gain anything. The 17 is just simply a tad bit larger. Comes with higher capacity magazines. For what it is worth you can use Glock 17 magazines in the Glock 19.

I say Glock 19. Easily carried. Look around and you should be able to find a LNIB one for $500 or under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your intended purpose?
Without answering that it's kinda impossible to answer your question, but generally speaking...

The 19 will be better for carry, I conceal mine, even under summer clothes.

The 17 has a slightly longer sight radius and has 2 more rounds in the magazine.

Conceal ability on the 19. My full size frame seems to have more room in the finger grooves than the 19. They're both great! Depends on what you're doing with it. Competition is probably easier with a 17 for sight radius and barrel length. The 19 competes well and carries well.

I personally don't know why anyone would pick a 17 over a 19. The 19 is just about the perfect size gun for carry or concealability. The trade off of two more rounds and less than 1/2 in. in sight radius isn't enough to cover the larger size. That slightly larger size is just enough to make the 17 exponentially harder to conceal carry.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Smith said:

I personally don't know why anyone would pick a 17 over a 19. The 19 is just about the perfect size gun for carry or concealability. The trade off of two more rounds and less than 1/2 in. in sight radius isn't enough to cover the larger size. That slightly larger size is just enough to make the 17 exponentially harder to conceal carry.

Granted I only have some limited experience here and there at the range, but for my hands, the 17 is easier to manipulate and shoot well with.  As to the size...I carry a VP9, and I'm not sure where it falls within the size comparison, but I find it just about right all things considered.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sam44 said:

I should buy a Glock 17 or a Glock 19.

What are the disadvantages of the 17 versus the 19?

What would I lose by choosing the 17 over the 19? 

How much for a new Glock 19 gen 4? 

Thanks!

I'd get the Glock 17 . It is Gaston's first and works like a well oiled sewing machine. I have 3 and they run and run and run . They aren't much bigger than the 19 . Having a well running gun like the 17 with 17 rds available and 1 in the chamber is an awesome feeling.

Edited by tercel89

I'm not even a Glock fan and I vote 19.  If 2 extra rounds get you excited, use G17 mags.

I prefer M&Ps and in the winter I can often be found carrying an M&P compact with a full size mag and grip adapter if I feel like carrying more ammo than my Shield will hold.

G19. I've owned several, at different times. It's a good, quality tool. It works every time I pull the trigger. I have one stashed as a house gun.

Is it pretty? Fancy? Newest thing out? No, none of these. But it works. Period.

The G17...just a slightly bigger version.

G19. I've owned several, at different times. It's a good, quality tool. It works every time I pull the trigger. I have one stashed as a house gun.

Is it pretty? Fancy? Newest thing out? No, none of these. But it works. Period.

The G17...just a slightly bigger version.

I whole-heartedly disagree. It IS pretty! ;)

• Like 1

You almost have to try them both for yourself. It really can be a matter of personal preference. I always thought the G19, or other compact Glocks, were the cat's meow. But when I went to a department with Glock 22's I actually found that I like the fullsize frame better. The 22 is the exact same dimension as the 17 but in 40s&w. I liked the fullsize for a lot more than capacity. The balance, finger grooves, and the slide length for malfunction clearing all outweighed having to conceal it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cch2a said:

Glock 19. If could only have one gun it would be a Glock 19. It does everything well. Big enough for combat and small enough to conceal.  It is what I settled on for plain clothes police work for the above reasons.

Nothing said here will in any way compare to actual hands on experience with both a G-17 and a G-19. You also need to try out 3rd gen and 4th gen models to see which you like best. Any gun range with rental guns will be glad to help you out, its what they get paid for. But as for me I'll agree with cch2a, the G-19 is hard to beat insofar as its size and handling go.