What's So Special About . . .

I stopped at the Crossville location. Like others said impressive but probably won’t stop by again. Had to try the brisket sandwich, which was very expensive in my opinion. But I’m used to the $5.50 huge sandwiches I get at Top Hog BBQ in Gallatin. My favorite is the catfish sandwich. Have to admit I was in awe of the bathroom. Their employees do seem to enjoy working there. 
image.jpeg.ce459558adba8c1f8b119093a044ae06.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I stopped at the Crossville location. Like others said impressive but probably won’t stop by again. Had to try the brisket sandwich, which was very expensive in my opinion. But I’m used to the $5.50 huge sandwiches I get at Top Hog BBQ in Gallatin. My favorite is the catfish sandwich. Have to admit I was in awe of the bathroom. Their employees do seem to enjoy working there. 
image.jpeg.ce459558adba8c1f8b119093a044ae06.jpeg

Don’t be telling folks about the Top Hog. You can’t hardly get in there as it is!

• Like 1

I stopped once in Crossville to see the spectacle. Impressed, confused, overwhelmed, and underwhelmed all at the same time. It's like Walmart, Disney, and Mapco had a confused baby. I can't wrap my mind around a tourist stop gas station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

The one coming to the Sevierville exit is a curse for the entire east tn area. I passed them in Texas 10+ years ago with little desire to stop. The gas pump island that seems to never end is an impressive sight though. And being a fan of brisket I researched deep enough to find out it's more like gas station sushi and less like Tx roadside smoked meat lol. And then there is the bucees nuggets that get mentioned a lot. I guess it's worth a visit if for nothing more than saying you been. I've passed the Crossville location numerous times and never stopped. Usually I stop across the road at the Pilot for my coffee and to top the tank. If and when you do go @Luckyforwardbe sure to get your pic taken with Bucee and post it here 🙂

As though anything you could do to that area would actually detract from what it’s already become… I bet you could talk a local developer into building “Majestic Crap Mountain” without much effort. And to double down, I bet tourons would flock to it (like flies on…)

30 minutes ago, OMCHamlin said:

As though anything you could do to that area would actually detract from what it’s already become… I bet you could talk a local developer into building “Majestic Crap Mountain” without much effort. And to double down, I bet tourons would flock to it (like flies on…)

Ask and ye shall receive 🤣

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/business/2023/04/11/smoky-gap-407-gateway-to-adventure-pigeon-forge/70100793007/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm convinced the massive number of pumps at Buccee's is to allow you to pull up to a pump, get gas and then just stay parked there while you go in and leisurely shop. At a place like Love's, you feel rushed to move away from the pump to let the line behind you pull in for gas.

A buddy and I stopped in the Crossville one a few weeks ago after a weekend backpacking trip to Virgin Falls. Virgin Falls is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It's absolutely spectacular, but Buccee's was one of the highlights of the weekend for my friend.

• Like 1

We stopped at our first Bucee's in Daytona, FL, a couple of years ago. Had a lot of fun looking around, and purchasing a few things. If we are near one, when traveling, we always stop, for the restrooms, the brisket tacos and sandwiches, the pastries and jerky.  We've  enjoyed the experience every time. At some point we will visit the new on in Sevierville, but I doubt it will be on opening day.

1 minute ago, analog_kidd said:

I'm convinced the massive number of pumps at Buccee's is to allow you to pull up to a pump, get gas and then just stay parked there while you go in and leisurely shop. At a place like Love's, you feel rushed to move away from the pump to let the line behind you pull in for gas.

A buddy and I stopped in the Crossville one a few weeks ago after a weekend backpacking trip to Virgin Falls. Virgin Falls is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It's absolutely spectacular, but Buccee's was one of the highlights of the weekend for my friend.

I've enjoyed the hike to Virgin Falls several times! Never fails to impress! Other just as beautiful areas to visit in East Tennessee are Twin Arches at Big South Fork (and Bucee's could be a stop for your friend on that one too) and Sand Cave, up at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. On the same hike, checkout White Rocks!!!  I guarantee you will not be disappointed with either of those two hikes!!! 

1 minute ago, Moped said:

I've enjoyed the hike to Virgin Falls several times! Never fails to impress! Other just as beautiful areas to visit in East Tennessee are Twin Arches at Big South Fork (and Bucee's could be a stop for your friend on that one too) and Sand Cave, up at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. On the same hike, checkout White Rocks!!!  I guarantee you will not be disappointed with either of those two hikes!!! 

Yep, been to each of those places too, and you are right, they are amazing hikes. Other one in BSF that is fantastic is the Honey Creek loop. Back at Cumberland Gap, the 3 day backpacking trip along the entire ridge is on my bucket list.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

Other one in BSF that is fantastic is the Honey Creek loop

That is my favorite trail in the state. I've done it 5-6 times in the last 10 years. Years ago, Big South Fork was not that popular. There would be times we would go hiking and not pass a single person. We would let our dogs run off leash and they loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Forget Buc-ee’s , I’m looking forward to https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-n-out-burger-heading-east-restaurants-opening-in-tennessee?_amp=true

Never been to one but have heard about them. 

1 hour ago, BigK said:

My skepticism is higher than ever after all the Whataburger let-down.

Nonetheless, I'll probably still try In-n-Out when it opens, just to say I did.

I lived in California for a while and have spent a lot of time out west. Had In N Out at multiple locations. 

Aggressively mediocre.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

OMG, that's going to make me eat my words, they HAVE discovered another floor below the bottom. When we moved there in the early 70's, Winfield Dunne Pkwy went out of Sevierville a few miles and stopped in a pile of gravel... Smokey Mountain Knife Works was a couple of glass display cases in an Antique Mall and you could get a hell of a lunch for cheap at a place called Ellison's, just up from the high school. You can never go home...

• Admin Team

My wife hates crowds. Hates them. Not because she’s got any type of social anxiety, but just because she does not like dealing with the hassle of large groups of people all congregated in one space. But she’ll do Buc-ee because you could eat off the floor in the bathrooms and you don’t have to wait.

As to the brisket sandwich - other than why y’all are getting chopped instead of sliced - it’s a decent sandwich.   But, I put it in a different category.  I don’t put it in best or cheapest brisket sandwich I’ve ever had category - even though I’ve had far worse brisket.  I’m putting it in the category of “gas station food that won’t kill you because they’re turning 500 of them an hour.”

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team

I'll say this, too.  I bet there's not a Pilot, Flying-J, Loves, or local Citgo manager that doesn't rethink their life choices when they see a "coming soon" sign go up within a 20 mile radius of them of any major interstate.

I bet they update their resumes, too.  Buc-ee's seems to pay better than about anybody out there.

I stopped at the one in Crossville recently and a lady at the pump beside me came out with an application. She told her husband/partner that she could better than triple what she was making at their local gas station just 25 miles from there.

• Like 4

What's so special?

Super clean and plentiful restrooms.

Modern fast and plentiful fuel pumps.

An impressive selection of fountain drinks.

The beef jerky bar. Korean BBQ is good . . . Cherry Maple is like candy, but made of beef.

Good bakery items (the beaver tail . . .  yummmmm)

Lots of fresh healthy options available too for those who want that.

And that's just the "gas station" side of the house. There's a whole 'nother half of the store for your home decor, clothing, fishing, hunting, camping, and grilling needs, and more. I'm soooooo tempted to get a Buc-ee's onesie just because!

• Haha 2

I was disappointed in Buccee’s coffee. I admit I am a bit of a coffee snob and love strong, dark roast coffee.  Their coffee is just ordinary to me but I was there when it first opened so I’ll give them another shot when I go by pulling my camper. It is a good place to fill up with a 31” foot travel trailer attached!!

On 5/8/2023 at 11:36 AM, gregintenn said:

Ethanol free gas was only a nickel higher than regular unleaded with ethanol. I don’t know how they can do that while it’s about a roller higher everywhere else you find it.

That would make it worthwhile for me if one was close.