Car burglar's at night

7 hours ago, Kimber451911 said:

This week, in Germantown 

image.jpeg

This is the picture I wish we'd see in the mass (liberal) media. These are the ones who would keep AK's if they are banned. These are the ones who won't be remove their brace now that its a caliber increasing death device. Pretty good bet all 3 are felons who cant legally own guns.

But expect to see plenty of pics of the law abiding at guns stores instead pm their next anti-gun misinformation post 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Kimber451911 said:

This week, in Germantown 

image.jpeg

Woah! Looks like decent fellows collecting money for BLM's next peaceful riot. Maybe scholars gathered to discuss gas vs. electric vehicles and the environmental aspects of pollution. 

Perhaps they awoke early to walk to Sunday School to help the old folks up the steps of the church.

Surely, these are not criminal lowlife thugs deserving of a 20-year prison sentence for aggravated assault.

• Like 2

Just a thought.....does engaging an unkown group of thugs/thieves worth the risk of death?  Most of us have insurance.  Should you risk it all and leave the safety of your home?  What about your family?  What if you engage and shoot and wind up being charged for murder?  Would it not be best to stay inside and call the cops?  I'm not saying your answer is right or wrong.........just food for thought.

\

• Like 2
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, chances R said:

Just a thought.....does engaging an unkown group of thugs/thieves worth the risk of death?  Most of us have insurance.  Should you risk it all and leave the safety of your home?  What about your family?  What if you engage and shoot and wind up being charged for murder?  Would it not be best to stay inside and call the cops?  I'm not saying your answer is right or wrong.........just food for thought.

\

That "food for thought" is legally and in my opinion even ethically the "right answer". To many, shooting some thieves sounds like an amazing vigilante type of justice until you realize that we no longer live in the "wild, wild west" and that by doing so you risk losing everything you've ever worked for in your life.

Sure, the thief my be a meth head but his father may be Denny Crane. The thief may have stolen your weed-eater but his father will take your house, vehicles, and entire life savings after you murdered his son after conveniently posting online that you'd "shoot all thieves" that come on your property. It's hard to feed your family if you are in prison for murder.

Thieves suck, but I don't own a single thing that is worth more than someone's life. I'm basing this on a standard of faith. All of us deserve death (the wages of sin). Say that multiple times out loud if you have to. Yes, even the thief can be redeemed by the Blood of Jesus Christ.

The only time the guns come out are if my family (or other innocents) is/are in danger.

• Like 5

Good discussion, all great points but have you considered the sympathetic system (fight/flight response) and what it will do on your behalf?

You wake up, look outside and see three armed men on your property in your car then hear a noise. You will feel a warm flood/flow to your brain, sounds sound different, everything is different, your brain is calculating, opinions, solutions….  

Hope that in the moment your brain selects the same as your rational one does.

I’m a good rational, moral person. I don’t get in fights, never needed to. When my sympathetic system kicks in it tends to go towards fight probably because I was trained that way as a pilot. You respond to the problem, as fast as possible. 

I'm not saying it’s right decision to try to disrupt the injustice, I’m not saying I would do it, but I am saying that in the moment you might not have much control of your rationality.

There are tips and tricks to help keep your brain from tripping the sympathetic system, like training and checklist. I thought that I should add this to the conversation.

Edited by partypilot1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

after conveniently posting online that you'd "shoot all thieves" that come on your property.

If you posted some thing this you might have given proof of premeditated murder. We as firearm owners have to be very careful about how and what we post, it will be used in court.

I know I said in an earlier post that there is a chance I would shoot someone trying to break into my car or truck but after reading more posts I can think about it and like a few have posted. I have everything worth stealing insured and then thinking most of these thieves are kids that are being used by an adult to commit the crimes. As long as they don't try and come in my house they can have anything outside as it can be replaced by insurance....JMHO

• Like 2

Car burglaries are becoming an increasing problem in the Memphis area. But its not so much residential. Thieves are targeting large companies with huge parking lots and lots of employees. Especially those that work an overnight shift. Also high on the target list are hotels with lots of out of state license plates. I've seen news stories of as many as 30 vehicles hit at once. Sure isn't doing the Memphis tourism business much good. 🤬

On 5/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, OMCHamlin said:

Remember, if you’re rural enough, and handy with a shovel (or have a backhoe!), they make decent compost…

This is now sounding like the simplest and best solution.

21 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Car burglaries are becoming an increasing problem in the Memphis area. But its not so much residential. Thieves are targeting large companies with huge parking lots and lots of employees. Especially those that work an overnight shift. Also high on the target list are hotels with lots of out of state license plates. I've seen news stories of as many as 30 vehicles hit at once. Sure isn't doing the Memphis tourism business much good. 🤬

I always tell those who are passing through Memphis to not stop 50 miles on either side of the Mississippi River from Arkansas to Tennessee as the jungle life, lack of credible law enforcement, and political antipathy towards decent people who pay taxes are rampant.

• Like 1
On 5/19/2023 at 8:31 PM, tercel89 said:

They come into these neighborhoods,  drop off the thieves and wait for the call on when and where to pick them up. Yes it's been going on for some time but it's getting worse. 

They hit around North Clarksville last night as I am sure you know. Patrick Place and adjacent neighborhoods. My street was hit last night and has been many times. I always lock our vehicles and don’t leave anything in them and have never had a problem.  Only thing I have ever seen was fingerprints on the vehicle windows.  Always check my ring cameras and I haven’t ever seen anything suspicious on them. When I go out at night I carry even if it is just the backyard. 

And I completely agree I can’t understand why people can’t lock their vehicles and take valuables inside. 

On 6/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Gal I went to school with was in Memphis last new year’s eve. She had her car stolen from the hotel where she was staying. I think she had to rent a car to get back home.

• Like 1

One more thought. I remember the police in Clarksville had a grant for LPR cameras. What is the status on those? LPR cameras would sure help tracking also these stolen vehicles rolling in and out Clarksville.  Please tell me the politicians didn’t kill that plan. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2023 at 11:11 PM, TennesseeCamper said:

They hit around North Clarksville last night as I am sure you know. Patrick Place and adjacent neighborhoods. My street was hit last night and has been many times. I always lock our vehicles and don’t leave anything in them and have never had a problem.  Only thing I have ever seen was fingerprints on the vehicle windows.  Always check my ring cameras and I haven’t ever seen anything suspicious on them. When I go out at night I carry even if it is just the backyard. 

And I completely agree I can’t understand why people can’t lock their vehicles and take valuables inside. 

They hit Patrick Place again a few days ago during the early morning while day light! Four cars were stolen and some other vehicles broken into. One vehicle was left down the road and the thieves drove off with three of the four stolen vehicles. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, nosfed92gt said:

They hit Patrick Place again a few days ago during the early morning while day light! Four cars were stolen and some other vehicles broken into. One vehicle was left down the road and the thieves drove off with three of the four stolen vehicles. 

People have to lock up and not leave valuable in vehicles. What ever we can do to make it harder for them.  Maybe they will move on to greener pastures. 
Only thing is in Memphis and Nashville they evolved to just breaking out car windows and going through them. 

I never leave anything of value in my car overnight. Even locking it doesnt deter a criminal who is intent on getting in. And a loaded gun in the car? Irresponsible if you ask me. Even an unloaded gun. You wouldnt leave a loaded gun in the house if you didnt want an unwanted person to find it (kids, guests etc) so why do it in your car?

And believe me, I hate thieves. Lowest of the low.

A nice thing about not having valuables in my truck, is that when I go into a store I can leave the windows open in the parking lot, and not come back to an oven-lol.

2 hours ago, Tom B said:

I never leave anything of value in my car overnight. Even locking it doesnt deter a criminal who is intent on getting in. And a loaded gun in the car? Irresponsible if you ask me. Even an unloaded gun. You wouldnt leave a loaded gun in the house if you didnt want an unwanted person to find it (kids, guests etc) so why do it in your car?

And believe me, I hate thieves. Lowest of the low.

A nice thing about not having valuables in my truck, is that when I go into a store I can leave the windows open in the parking lot, and not come back to an oven-lol.

I leave guns in the house every time I leave the house. The house is locked and alarmed to keep "unwanted persons" from getting them. It's not perfect and can be beaten by a burglar, but why would that make me "irresponsible"?

Now change "house" to "vehicle". It's locked and alarmed to keep "unwanted persons" out of it. Vehicles are easier/safer/faster to break into than houses and theft is more likely so we should take extra steps to secure/remove guns from them. But I don't blame the victim of a vehicle theft. The problem with thievery is and always has been the thieves.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I leave guns in the house every time I leave the house. The house is locked and alarmed to keep "unwanted persons" from getting them. It's not perfect and can be beaten by a burglar, but why would that make me "irresponsible"?

Now change "house" to "vehicle". It's locked and alarmed to keep "unwanted persons" out of it. Vehicles are easier/safer/faster to break into than houses and theft is more likely so we should take extra steps to secure/remove guns from them. But I don't blame the victim of a vehicle theft. The problem with thievery is and always has been the thieves.

I have loaded guns in the house also, even when I'm not home. They are accessible but still well hidden. I figure houses are less apt to be broken into than a car, and once a car is broken into there really arent any places in the car that a gun wont be found. A 'smash and grab' can be done in a few seconds. It would take someone quite a while to find any guns in my house, if at all.

My intention was not to blame the car owner.

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Whatever we do, we mustn’t offend the burglars by doing anything to discourage their practice.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 9:56 PM, gregintenn said:

Gal I went to school with was in Memphis last new year’s eve. She had her car stolen from the hotel where she was staying. I think she had to rent a car to get back home.

Good point. Just having insurance ain't going to make you feel all warm & fuzzy. Been there.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Whatever we do, we mustn’t offend the burglars by doing anything to discourage their practice.

Here is a big reason for this problem.  There are no consequences for breaking the law anymore. Maybe a slap on the wrist.

• Like 4