The Every Trip Range Gun.

Grayfox54

Do you have a gun that seems to go along on almost every trip to the range? No matter what your purpose, no matter what else you will be shooting. This one just seems to constantly find its way into the range bag.

For me its my S&W Model 18-3. This particular gun was set up by a previous owner with a red ramp front sight, a smooth faced trigger and a wonderful trigger job. I added a set of Uncle Mike's combat grips and its pretty much a twin for most of my DA defensive revolvers. This is the gun that taught me how to shoot a DA revolver. It goes to the range almost every time I do and I always shoot at least 50 rounds through it almost exclusively in DA mode. Its my favorite gun. :D

EE2OEQh.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, gary_boom said:

I always take my S&W M&P compact  that I carry and usually my Remington nylon 66. Also a 22 pistol lately my Taurus TX22

Agreed on the Taurus TX22. Bought it for myself. Wife wants it as her "house" gun. lol. Looking for another for me now. 

Personally, I've found the TX22 to be one of the best little 22 autoloaders I've ever owned or shot. Ran close to 300 rounds of CCI Blazer thru mine  (over two range days withot cleaning) without any problems. Before the wife claimed it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have a TX 22 and really like the pistol. My favorite is a 686 + in 38/357. The 686 does not always go to the range, but mostly I take my Taurus 617 7 shot 38/357 2" Revolver which is my EDC and one of my MP 9 C 2.0 or Ruger Max 9 which I carry often. Not much difference in the MP and Max 9, only size. Both great pistols, IMO. Carry one of these 3 guns when I am awake. The revolver and Max are pocket carry and the MP 9 C 4" is IWB. Had both pistols and the 617 out 3 times in the last month. 

My grandson and granddaughter are here this morning, from S Carolina, and we will get the TX 22 out for some steel and hedge apple shooting. That is the plan after gravy and biscuits and country ham. Had a note taped to my coffee machine this morning written by a little girl. One simply must like/love a place where one can have a back yard range and spend time with grandchildren right before Thanksgiving. I know I do. Life is grand!!!!! 

• Love 2

Another vote for the TX22.  Been with me on every range trip for the last several years. For the last several months the Competition goes along. The newcomer for the next trip will be the Compact just recently purchased. I have a feeling I’m going to enjoy it just as much as the other two. 

• Love 1

While not necessarily a gun I seek out each range trip, it's one I pocket carry an LCR .38 spl each and every day, so it makes every range trip with me and I shoot it pretty much weekly.

My LCR in .38 spl that I was fortunate to purchase from a member here a few years ago.

(Range=ORSA)

enL4dDi.jpg

My Model 10 snub and Model 15 are frequent companions. Especially the past few months.

The 10 snub is in my AIWB holster as I type this and prepare to head to the range.

(ETA: The below revolvers are both S&W Model 10's.  4" and a 2"...I just told myself to grab the 15 before I left for the range...😳)

irFxwjL.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
explanation
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

While not necessarily a gun I seek out each range trip, it's one I pocket carry an LCR .38 spl each and every day, so it makes every range trip with me and I shoot it pretty much weekly.

My LCR in .38 spl that I was fortunate to purchase from a member here a few years ago.

enL4dDi.jpg

My Model 10 snub and Model 15 are frequent companions. Especially the past few months.

The 10 snub is in my AIWB holster as I type this and prepare to head to the range.

irFxwjL.jpg

Oh my stars and garters! That 15 with the T-grip is great looking! Was never lucky enough to encounter one, or it would have been in my 22 stash as well. 

I don't have an "every trip" gun, but the one that I bring the most often (half the time?) is a Glock G40 MOS with a KKM 40SW conversion barrel, Vortex Venom RDS, and Johnny Glock trigger.  Very smooth shooting with little recoil and best striker-fired trigger of any gun I own.

6 hours ago, hipower said:

Oh my stars and garters! That 15 with the T-grip is great looking! Was never lucky enough to encounter one, or it would have been in my 22 stash as well. 

Thank you my friend.

All 3 pictured are $400.00 or less guns purchased within the past 4 or so years. Well seasoned but obviously well cared for by their previous owners. 

( Disclaimer: I mis-typed, mis-thought. Those 2 revolvers are both S&W Model 10's...I was thinking I needed to grab my 15 as I headed, out so I guess that's why I typed that 😳(I'll edit the above pic post...)

I'm fortunate to have hoarded back a few Tyler T-grips (4" Model 10) over the years and have also been using BK Grip Adapters (2" Model 10) which serve that role well.

My budget is tight, Isn't it for us all these days? But there are wheel gun bargains out there if we're patient. 

So these are a few of the many things I'm Thankful for today and every day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My edc always gets a few through it, Kimber K6XS

Make sure I have it before opening the car door as there are sometimes bear around (outdoor range).*

*edit:  no a 38+p is not a recommended load for bear, but they might die laughing when I pull it out.

Edited by JustEd
added comment on caliber
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I probably shoot my LCP more than any handgun I own. It is what I carry, and I would like to be proficient with it.

Same here. It's so small and easy to carry that it makes me a "lazy carrier" sometimes. Before I got my LCP I would carry larger guns with leather holsters on my belt hidden under my shirt tail . With the LCP I can just put it in the pocket holster and take off down the road in shorts or jeans. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Same here. It's so small and easy to carry that it makes me a "lazy carrier" sometimes. Before I got my LCP I would carry larger guns with leather holsters on my belt hidden under my shirt tail . With the LCP I can just put it in the pocket holster and take off down the road in shorts or jeans. 

If you shoot it enough, you’ll be surprised what it is capable of.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I noticed that sometime last year or so Ruger has started using a longer extractor on the LCP now. My LCP is about 3 years old and has a short one. Either way , they run great. It's the only gun I run FMJ's in. 

• Like 1

Every trip to the range I carry my Ruger Mark IV or my Ruger Mark II. They are undeniably my favorite guns to shoot. 

Funny thing...My CZ Shadow is the most satisfying to shoot and it used to go every time, but it's almost like cheating. You know, if it's too easy it isn't all that much fun.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BigK said:

Every trip to the range I carry my Ruger Mark IV or my Ruger Mark II. They are undeniably my favorite guns to shoot. 

Funny thing...My CZ Shadow is the most satisfying to shoot and it used to go every time, but it's almost like cheating. You know, if it's too easy it isn't all that much fun.

Got to agree that shooting my Mark IV is perhaps the most fun plinking of all of my guns.

• Like 1

My old Ruger P89 goes with me to shoot almost every time no matter what I go there to shoot with. I still carry it occasionally but it's a bit fat. Boy they sure are fun. The slide cycles on these things a bit slowly and sounds like "ka-chunk" but it's extremely reliable. 

20231124_115445.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, gregintenn said:

You'll really be surprised what a .380 is capable of with the new Federal .380 ACP Hydra-Shok Deep ammo!  In ballistic gelatin it not only expands to about 1.4 times its original diameter but also penetrates to 13 inches, exceeding the FBI's minimum penetration standard (the first and only .380 ammo to ever do so.)

This is a game changer.  An in-depth review can be found here:  SHOT Show: A review of Federal’s Hydra-Shok Deep ammo (police1.com)

This great ammo is now available in .380,  .38+P,  9mm,  and .45.   LEOs have been gobbling it up but it's gradually getting easier to find.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...