Taurus and Rossi Revolvers

thoughts on Taurus and Rossi revolvers...I know in the past they've been hit and miss, now since the move to GA people are ranting on how good Taurus guns are now including the newer model semi's. 

What says TGO community? Experiences with them especially with the bigger bore ones?

Has anyone had good results with the Judge shooting at distance? Mine seems to like the cowboy loads better than anything and if you go to a hotter hunting round, the accuracy suffers

I don't own any, but my late best friend was very fond of Taurus revolvers. He had about a half dozen of them. I've shot them all and have no complaints. If I wasn't such a S&W snob, I might own a few. 😉

Rossi was always kind of a bargain basement gun. Serviceable, but nothing to get excited about. However, Taurus bought Rossi out not too long ago and I hear they intend to upgrade the Rossi line quite a bit. We shall see. 

I own plenty of both from 17 to 45. Much like a lot of lower dollar brands they take a lot of flack because QC isn't there like it is with other higher dollar brands. I've found their customer service follows through given the proper time and keeping the pressure applied. Do I EDC one ? NO. But they are better than a hammer 🙂

• Like 1

My EDC is a Taurus Mdl 617 2" 7 shot snubby in 38/357 Mag. I have 2, one in an alloy frame lightweight 38 Spl only. Both are K frame size and I pocket carry the 7 shot SS 357 daily and have for the past 10 years. Carry it in a modified DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It has probably 6 to 800 rounds through it and has always been there. It/they are quality revolvers.

I had 2 earlier 38/357 Rossie in 6 shot 38/357 mag 2" brls. Gave both to daughters. They were adequate, but reliable revolvers.  

If Smith Wesson made a 7 shot K frame, I would purchase it. They don't that I know of. I did recently purchase a 686 + w/ 3" brl, however it is not a pocket carry revolver. 

I recommend the Taurus or Rossie, but just know I preferer the Smith Wesson brand if they made the same thing. I learned a long time ago to spend the extra 1 to 2 hundred to purchase the best, if they have what you want. It will be much more satisfying in the long run.  Taurus is a good second choice IMO. Rossie 3rd. 

Edited for sspelling.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, pop pop said:

My EDC is a Taurus Mdl 617 2" 7 shot snubby in 38/357 Mag. I have 2, one in an alloy frame lightweight 38 Spl only. Both are K frame size and I pocket carry the 7 shot SS 357 daily and have for the past 10 years. Carry it in a modified DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It has probably 6 to 800 rounds through it and has always been there. It/they are quality revolvers.

I had 2 earlier 38/357 Rossie in 6 shot 38/357 mag 2" brls. Gave both to daughters. They were adequate, but reliable revolvers.  

I Smith Wesson made a 7 shot K frame I would purchases it. They don't that I know of. I did recently purchase a 686 + w/ 3" brl, however it is not a pocket carry revolver. 

I recommend the Taurus or Rossie, but just know I preferer the Smith Wesson brand if they made the same thing. I learned a long time ago to spend the extra 1 to 2 hundred to purchase the best, if they have what you want. It will be much more satisfying in the long run.  Taurus is a good second choice IMO. Rossie 3rd. 

They do but it's expensive and not what I'd call pocket friendly. However you can slip it in the back pocket of a pair of overalls quite easily 🙂

I've sold and serviced a few hundred Taurus revolvers. It does indeed boil down to QC. The designs are sound and, when manufactured and fitted correctly, make good - sometimes, great - revolvers.

I have kept 4 Taurus guns that have come through my shop over the years. Owing to the large sample size, I was able to hand-select the best specimens, so I have a handful of smooth, balanced, sweet-shooting Bulls in my collection.

Unfortunately, I handled many of the exact same models which had burrs in the ignition group, rough triggers, light strike hammers, poor time, poor frame fitment, and all other sorts of maladies. I've had to make minor warranty repairs on guns I sold brand new because it was better customer service to just handle it instead of having them deal with the then-terrible customer service.

Things have improved in recent years; their new executive leadership ~5 years ago has restructured their approach to QC and modern production methods. I can't say it is S&W quality, but it's definitely better than Remington was before they went bankrupt (again),

• Like 2

Taurus seems hit or miss. I bought my wife a .22LR revolver, and the trigger absolutely SUCKED even after some smoothing. I have had a Slim 9 for over a decade, and it had a better trigger than the KelTec and Ruger guns that were similar. I wouldn't buy another Taurus without making sure of everything on it - you know, the commit and switch thing that some gun stores do by showing you the display and then fulfilling your order with one in the back room.

I owned one Rossi (.357) years ago and never had a problem with it.  That is the extent of my Rossi experience.

As to Taurus, I have owned 3 or four and again, no problems.  In fact, their model 1911 is one of the most accurate and solid functioning 1911's that I have ever owned.  Perhaps some have had problems and that is unfortunate but knowing human nature, sometimes it is "cool" to kick the fat kid in the teeth.  

I have about 75 guns and have had a few clunkers, but Taurus has always performed for me.

I have a half dozen or so Taurus revolvers that were acquired in the 90's to early 2000's, and they're all average or above average.  Like others have alluded to here, I would consider a Taurus revolver only if I could inspect in person and try the trigger/cylinder.  I order a fair number of firearms online and have had few issues upon receipt/transfer, but I wouldn't take a chance online with a Taurus or Rossi revolver.

I've never dealt with Taurus/Rossi customer service, but I've read some horror stories in the gun forums.  Of course, you never know if those or true or not.

• Like 1

I've had some experience with several of their revolvers, though not a Judge.  The trigger pull was ok and the slight cylinder wiggle in full lockup was not enough to give me concern.  Never had a light strike with them and after range testing to check reliability and pattern carry ammo, I had no reservations about carrying them.

A new Charter Arms or Rock Island or a used Ruger would also be workable revolvers at a similar price point, depending on what caliber you want.

ETA: I didn't realize they moved production to Georgia.  Eager to hear what others have to say about recently purchased Tauruses.

Edited by Wheelgunner
  • Like 1

I’ve had several Taurus pistols and a couple of revolvers. Just bought one of the new Taurus 327 Federal Magnum 2” SS revolvers. I missed out on the first run a few years ago. This feels like a nice little fun gun. Can’t wait to take it to the range with some 32ACP ,32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum and some 327 FM to try out. 

• Like 1

Taurus had a reputation for parts, mim most likely, breaking and locking up the revolver.  They seem to have improved their parts quality because I don't hear those stories much any more, on new handguns.

Had a 856 recently and it shot just fine through quite a few hundred rounds.  Felt confident carrying it.  Only sold to get a lighter snubbie

3 hours ago, JustEd said:

Taurus had a reputation for parts, mim most likely, breaking and locking up the revolver.  They seem to have improved their parts quality because I don't hear those stories much any more, on new handguns.

Had a 856 recently and it shot just fine through quite a few hundred rounds.  Felt confident carrying it.  Only sold to get a lighter snubbie

My experiences in the past mimic those already shared, kinda hit or miss. I still have a model 85 from 1987 that's has really nice bluing and a good DA trigger. I've only owned 1-2 others.

I'm hopeful for Taurus going forward  because I think I would like an 856 Toro RDS capable revolver. But definitely as a holster carried sidearm. Patiently waiting to see how those do over a bit of time.

Taurus hired  Caleb Giddings as their General Marketing Manager a short while back and Caleb is a shooter and has been very responsive and accessible to customers on other forums (Pistol-Forums).

I've read good things from 856 owners the past several months as well.

Glad to read you had a decent experience with your @JustEd.

• Like 3

This year I purchased an 856 Defender and a 692 .357/9mm. I installed a spring kit in the 856 which works well except for a couple of light strikes on range ammo with hard primers. No problem with quality defensive ammo. I won't be changing springs in the 856 because the trigger is not as heavy as the 856 was. I like the option of shooting 9mm or .38 special/.357 magnum. The cylinders change out almost as fast as changing mags in a semi auto pistol. The 856 is my new truck gun which I can pocket carry when getting out of the truck and the 692 is for hiking in an owb holster. I like them both so far.

• Like 1

I'm quite a fan of Taurus.

My first was a SS 85 back in the mid 80s. It was a trade in from a LEO that felt an autoloader would make a better ankle gun. Good for what it was, grouped good for a snubbie. Trigger on this one was a bit stiff but not gritty. Fit and finish were mediocre. Bought a new 6 inch 669VR at the same time. That one had a great trigger and shot tight groups. I miss both of these, lost in divorce.

Currently have a 4 inch SS 608. The heavy cylinder and ported barrel make this a soft shooter with heavy 357 loads. Trigger is excellent on this revolver and fit and finish are very good.
Aquired a "sissy" 945 SS at the same time and I adore this pistol. trigger is good especially for an SA/DA gun. Groups are good as are fit and finish.
These two were used imports and Taurus does not recognize the serial numbers. This is where I have issues. Taurus would not sell a replacement firing pin group for the 608 becuse they "didn't know what I had". The firing pin wasn't broken, it was missing when I received it BTW.

I picked up a 745 at a pawn shop not long ago. Not a fan of striker fired guns and I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't put a decocker on this. The long takeup on the trigger is awful and I am not comfortable with one in the chamber without the safety on. Fit and finish are good on this piece. I can't tell if it groups well or not as I have not gotten used to the trigger.

I had a 4 inch Rossi at one time. Couldn't resisit the Stainless steel 357 with unfluted cylinder. I had to do a bit of polishing of the sear but it was otherwise ok. fit was excellent and it shot well.

Nothing newer but I've been happy with all of the Taurus and on Rossi I've owned. I will buy more and do not consider them as second choice to anything except a Python. Currently tracking prices on Taurus 1911, the duo tone model specifically. I'm also looking at PT 145s. well, guess I'm collecting Taurus .45 ACP now.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

My experiences in the past mimic those already shared, kinda hit or miss. I still have a model 85 from 1987 that's has really nice bluing and a good DA trigger. I've only owned 1-2 others.

I'm hopeful for Taurus going forward  because I think I would like an 856 Toro RDS capable revolver. But definitely as a holster carried sidearm. Patiently waiting to see how those do over a bit of time.

Taurus hired  Caleb Giddings as their General Marketing Manager a short while back and Caleb is a shooter and has been very responsive and accessible to customers on other forums (Pistol-Forums).

I've read good things from 856 owners the past several months as well.

Glad to read you had a decent experience with your @JustEd.

That sounds good!

Have red dots on range guns, but no longer on edc weapons.  A bit more than I want in size for edc.  Hate having to clean the optic of smudges and dust.   Now am into the bigger combo front sights, reflective with tritium insert.  Mind you, those are on my dedicated personal defense arms (close range).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Ed. Caleb seems to honestly be trying hard to make improvements, or so it appears.

I've either carried a RDS Glock 17 or 19 daily for a few years now. For me it's an advantage at distance especially.

I ran XS Big Dot sites on my Glocks for several years and using the intended "Lollipop" viewing they were designed for, they were pretty decent for me at that time.

I recently, as in September of this year, broke the slide on my G19 again (had a Holosun 509t on it). I carry AIWB with my shirt covering my gun and other than the occasional lint the lens stayed pretty clear and clean. Again, for me. 🙂

As that 19 had a high round count, and it was the 2nd time this happened (1st time 2015), after sending it back to Glock and long talks with them, I purchased a new slide and barrel. Glock put the Ameriglo Suppressor height sights on the new slide for me, and Damn! I actually like running the 19 with them 🙂

My apologies for the drift.

I've been shooting my LCR's and K-Frames at least once a week, usually twice the past few months and think I would really appreciate carrying one of the RDS equipped 856 Toro's. But I want to actually handle and shoot one first.

But I think I'll take my Taurus 85 to the range with me tomorrow...

Being on a pretty much fixed income tends to make one "frugal". LOL Learned that Needs trump Wants. 😉 

Here's that break on the 19. Apparently that weakness in Glocks has been remedied as they evolved through Gen 4 to Gen 5. Mine was/is a 1997 Gen 3.

mdTByCU.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I've had an 85UL for some time and it's been great. It has a better trigger than stock Ruger and S&W's I've had. Traded the springs for Wolff springs and it got even better. One of the best DA revolver triggers I've ever held. 

That being said, I've held other Taurus revolvers that weren't close, so maybe I got a unicorn but it's a good one!

TaurusM85ULBY94574(4).thumb.jpg.deeaf4f5fe19b7082fa25281c849445a.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Like 4

I'm not sure if anyone is interested but I listened to a Podcast on Spotify last evening. It a recent interview with Caleb Giddings of Taurus on the Green Op Podcast.

I've been aware of Caleb since, I believe, the first episode of Top Shot. Caleb says some interesting, and possibly, unexpected things on that Podcast. I'm not personally surprised  because he's a shooter first.

He mainly discusses the changes at Taurus since moving to the Bainbridge Georgia plant. And the growing focus on QC and customer service (as would be expected from their Marketing Manager).

I'm historically a S&W or Ruger revolver fan. I shoot my LCR's at least weekly. Gonna shoot both soon! 🙂 

Hope it's OK to link the podcast. If not Mods, please delete, or let me know and I'll do it.

TIA and hope this is useful.

ETA. Didn't mean to sound vague. But context is important. Caleb discusses carrying an LCR for NPE or pocket carry and Taurus for holster carry.

2nd ETA at 1623. Apologies for the initial included link, Won't repeat it. 😉 

Edited by Jamie Jackson
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1